MLS - April 1 - New England (Away)

Is going forward his style? He got a couple of chances but didn’t cross or go ahead and attack.
At the Deuce he could definitely carry the ball forward. Tonight, he seemed to give it up pretty quickly, but maybe he was told to.

He actually puts in a really decent cross. And he's not afraid to take a shot from distance if he sees an opening. I'm not sure I'd call him an attacking right back in the same way I would Ilenic, but he's not a straight-up defender like Gray, either. More like what Keaton would be if Keaton were a wingback. LOL

Any time you can come home with any points after playing on that crappy turf is a win. Cufre literally looked like he had been in a tire factory 10 minutes into the game.

NYCFC did not look out of place, could have created more going forward but deserves credit for fighting back to get the point. The fact that NYCFC was looking more likely to score in the last 10 was also good news.

Brutal turnover for the Revs goal - cannot give up the ball and have their 10 running free at the top of the box. Richie needs to body up Gil in that position and take a yellow card. Richie did get in some good spots going forward though.

Overall good possession in the final third but still too much playing it around the top of the box and trying to combine through 5 players through the middle of the pitch.

Our defense looked pretty good - what a header by Sands in the first half to deny Bou. Thiago Martins is starting to look dominant too (shhhh) and was unlucky to not open his account on the excellent save by Petrovic.

Turnbull did not look out of place in his cameo either.

The team is still to slow in the buildup - multiple times they could have played a through ball or played more direct (even the announcer was mentioning it too). They still look like a work in progress.

Segal was mainly invisible in his time on the field unfortunately.

Take the point, not a road win yet but they have played the most road games in the league so far (tied with RBNJ and Sporting KC at 4 road games each). Progress.

Feels like we're just missing that final moment of brilliance at times -- we do so well to get to the top of the box, then don't know what to do once we get there.

Santi hasn't been good enough so far -- I know he didn't really have a preseason, but we need him to get more involved if we want to win.

Great result on the road against a really good team. I'm not convinced their disallowed goal should have been wiped off, so we were lucky on that one. But we also had probably 3 of the 4 best chances of the game, so we definitely could have taken all three points out of that one.

Definitely reason for optimism. Feels like because of the intricate way we play, we always get off to a slow start. But now we return home for a couple games and it's starting to look like things are starting to gel.

In February, we all would have taken 2-2-2 through six games. We're going to get better as the season continues.

The team could use an Alex Ring leader right now. Too much youth. No experience of any meaning.

Or a superstar.

Reactions: Gene and Kenny
The team could use an Alex Ring leader right now. Too much youth. No experience of any meaning.

Or a superstar.
I think we are going to get a striker. Not a superstar, but a striker. And IMO Chanot is the leader. Even though Sands wore the armband tonight. Sands is the leader in training.

Was at the game. Definitely an "interesting" vibe. With our visiting fans skewing heavily Latino, there was a huge difference between our group and the suburban soccer families rooting for the home team. On the walk in, we were being watched by locals like a zoo exhibit. There was no atmosphere other than what we were providing. I can see why they struggle to bring in attendance there. They have no presence in Boston. It felt like MLS 1.0. Kudos to our peeps for bringing the heat.

I did talk to a security person afterwards, and she said that we bring the biggest away crowds to Gillette.

Glad we at least got a point. We need to be more direct.

Last edited:
Was at the game. Definitely an "interesting" vibe. With our visiting fans skewing heavily Latino, there was a huge difference between our group and the suburban soccer families rooting for the home team. On the walk in, we were being watched by locals like a zoo exhibit. There was no atmosphere other than what we were providing. I can see why they struggle to bring in attendance there. They have no presence in Boston. It felt like MLS 1.0. Kudos to our peeps for bringing the heat.

I did talk to a security person afterwards, and she said that we bring the biggest away crowds to Gillette.

Glad we at least got a point. We need to be more direct.
Not surprising. The place is a morgue for soccer. The old, minimalist, bleachered stadium had a better atmosphere (and grass). It really is the last MLS 1.0 team and there’s no end in sight. It’s a waste of what could be a great market.

Not surprising. The place is a morgue for soccer. The old, minimalist, bleachered stadium had a better atmosphere (and grass). It really is the last MLS 1.0 team and there’s no end in sight. It’s a waste of what could be a great market.
They are doing much better than Chicago though, which I technically consider MLS 1.0 despite their '98 expansion.

Reactions: Kjbert
After a sleep, I think we were a bit lucky on that offside call. I don't think it was wrong, but I think it was 50-50 and could have gone either way. The ball was well over Bou's head, and he didn't jump. It just seems Barazza had a clear sightline, even though Bou was very much in between Barazza and the place the ball came from. No matter how it went I think the team on the wrong side of it would be justified in feeling hard done. I can't blame Arena or Revs fans for thinking they got the short end; and we'd reasonably think the same if it went the other way. I will say that apart from that play we hade more and better chances than New England and it's no injustice that the points were split. If the Revs won it would have been a gift.

Last edited:
For all the harsh criticism, I think the team played pretty well. Just in comparison to Houston, which was a dud of a match, the team was definitely more effective and direct with their intentions. The midfield played great and I think putting Talles on the wing was the right decision. Ledesma played pretty well in his few moments and I thought Turnbell was serviceable. As someone mentioned before, I think he was told not to serve it into the box. He’d get into an area to cross the ball and he’d pass it back the Alfredo. Which also begs the question, why did we take Keaton off the field? Alfredo playing as the 8 and helping in the attack was not very effective. Sands had a good match except for the turn over on the goal. I enjoyed watching him ping the ball to the wings and open up space like that. Not a Pirlo/maxi level registra, but was helpful in progressing the ball forward for sure. Both Cufre and Illenic have a high floor but I’m hoping the ceilings are higher than what we’ve seen thus far. Maybe I’m bias after watching Tinnerholm for some many years, but I expect just a little bit more from both of the outside backs. I loved watch Chanot argue with the ref there at the end and telling the corner taker to wait while he fought for the potential handball call. It was definitely a mark of leadership and I loved it. Segal and Gabbi both had some flashes of brilliance but were definitely quiet on the pitch tonight. I think the Gil goal is the first goal of the season against us where I think Barraza, as the last line of defense, should have been able to do more. I think what would have pushed us over the top is a quality #9 that would have pushed the Revs back line. It felt like we couldn’t break through and kudos to the revs for making it tough. I think we were finally starting to break through in the last 10 minutes and the Andrew Farrell sub was perfect for them. I think we deserved 3 points out of that game but I definitely would listen to arguments that we didn’t deserve any.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I think we were finally starting to break through in the last 10 minutes and the Andrew Farrell sub was perfect for them.
He was a big influence after coming in, that's for sure. We could have stolen this one the way we were laying it on late. The Revs made a couple great defensive plays to keep us out of the goal.

Talles Magno seemed liberated. He was terrific all day, but those last 20 minutes he was really bringing it.

I thought O'Toole really brought a spark, Ledezma too once he settled in after starting out a little shaky. Gabi looked more like his old self. Turnbull showed more of what he's really about than we've seen so far. So, good team performance, especially considering how well the Starting XI battled before the subs came in.

About the only real negative I saw was Barraza's distribution. Way too many floaters over the middle coming right back at him. It was pretty surprising to see after the lasers he was firing over the first couple games. Not sure what's going on there.

admittedly wasn't watching as closely as I normally would but from what I could see, we looked much better than we did vs houston. we moved the ball faster and there was more movement in the midfield and front line. having talles on the wing and an actual #9 was great to see what we COULD be with a good #9. Talles also looked like he was really motivated so that's great to see.

I don't agree with those who think he should do less fancy stuff. That's the kind of player he is and i want him to continue to do so. He's entertaining to watch. Yeah, sometimes he dribbles into a crowd and loses the ball, but so does everyone else. It has nothing to do with his trickery. he can certainly make better decisions at times, but that's part of his development. he's only what.. 20? He'll learn. His header to finish off the corner was wonderful.

thought we got a bit lucky on the offsides call. But there also wasn't a true angle to know if barraza was really blocked in any way. I think we got away with it because it's hard to say it was "clear and obvious". They made the call seemingly purely based on the fact that bou was in line with the trajectory of the ball.

All in all a better performance than last week. We still have a ways to go before we look super dangerous. But it's getting better. We just need to move the ball faster.

Is Nick in the hot seat yet? we're what.. 6 games in with just 2 wins and 8 points. Dome was in the hot seat after what.. 5 games and 5 points? not saying he should be. just asking the question.

My 2 smile theory sort of falls apart... Though, I guess we didn't win, so maybe it's still holding on?

hrpckynbe2snr0eyhwz5.jpg

Reactions: Kjbert
Dome was in the hot seat after what.. 5 games and 5 points?
Dome was in the hot seat after 18 points in 19 games over 2 seasons, not just the slow start in 2019. He also had David Villa for most of those games. Nick hasn’t had any striker for any of his 27 games, unless you count Segal last night.

Dome was in the hot seat after 18 points in 19 games over 2 seasons, not just the slow start in 2019. He also had David Villa for most of those games. Nick hasn’t had any striker for any of his 27 games, unless you count Segal last night.

Nick also took us to the Eastern Conference final less than five months ago. Totally different scenario, and there is absolutely no way Nick is on the hot seat.

Nick also took us to the Eastern Conference final less than five months ago. Totally different scenario, and there is absolutely no way Nick is on the hot seat.
Yeah. Anyone blaming nick, unless he has straight direction into the striker situation and he's been vetoing options, is imo wrong. The fact that he's done so well (and this season hasn't been great, but again with the striker situation it's definitely above what i expected) proves he knows what he's doing managerially.

It would be like blaming the cashier for the price of the good at the store

Reactions: adam and SoupInNYC

true true. i always forget end of 2018.