MLS - April 13 - New England (Home - YS)

I wonder when the visa issue first popped up. Is this one of those things where he had to leave the country to get it sorted, which is why they let him play for Serbia's youth team? Or did he go over there at a time when he shouldn't have, and now it's causing problems?

I tend to think it's the former.
You might be right about the visa needing to be cleared up, but I think they might have been required to let him go because it was during a window. I clubs can refuse only when youth tournaments take place outside of official windows, which happens often but not this time.

You want to know how you really win MLS Cup, miss the playoffs twice in a row
2023 Columbus Crew
The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

You might be right about the visa needing to be cleared up, but I think they might have been required to let him go because it was during a window. I clubs can refuse only when youth tournaments take place outside of official windows, which happens often but not this time.
But his was a youth call up, which clubs can always refuse.

But his was a youth call up, which clubs can always refuse.
Yes, i noted that and explained that I think there is no general exemption for youth clubs, but many youth tournaments occur outside of windows, which makes it seem clubs can refuse all youth call ups.
As always, it's hard to find clear official rules for the esoteric questions, but this publication of the European Club Association supports me:

Page 85 second column, Sec 1.3: "Clubs are obliged to release the players registered with them if these players are called up by the association of the country of which they are nationals in order to play for its national team. The player can be called up for a representative team with an age limit or for the national “A” team." Footnote 118 after the age limit text says "e.g. U-17, U-21, etc."

Other provisions address the match window rules. This is the only reference to youth teams, age limits, etc in the document.

Game Day Weather and Transit Report™

Weather: At kickoff mostly cloudy with a slight chance of rain, feels-like temps in the upper 40s. Clearing as the game goes on. Sunset at 7:34pm.

Transit: Normal service.

Reactions: Shwafta and moogoo
Yay we won.

Our strikers still can't score but our wingers can.

Didn't watch too closely but seemed we dominated the midfield pretty well.

Good to win but beating our worst team in the league neighbor doesn't mean a whole lot. But I will happily take the 3 points and the good feels.

We need at least a win and a draw out of DC and Charlotte at home to close out April. Two wins would, of course, be excellent. Two draws or a win and a loss would be suboptimal but not deadly.* Then we ride or die in May.

I saw enough tonight. It's time for the training wheels to come off.

*I'm not discussing two losses because I don't want to think about it.

Last edited:
Cushing substituted forwards for forwards and the team kept pushing. A win. Imagine that. I’ve been hard on Nick, and one game against a poor side doesn’t cure everything, but I will credit him for using the forward depth and staying aggressive.

Goal scorers always win MOTM, but Freese was awesome, and Ilenic had his best game in some time. Either would have been my choice.

One stadium positive and one negative:

The new font is good. The scheme and design fit the team and feel unique. Good job graphics team.

Please, intern, have them bring back The Ramones for goals. This new “song” is worse than a public domain jingle. The Ramones are New York City and Blitzkrieg Bop gets everyone out of their seats. Charge me an extra 10 dollars for season tickets to cover the licensing fee. It’s worth it.

Ojeda and Fernandez showed enough tonight that I think they both should be starting from here on out. They scored 2 goals from open play in one game after the rest of the roster had 3 total for our first 6 games. It's time to play the kids and see what they can do. Whenever Jovan gets back if Bakrar is still struggling throw him out there too.

What was the goal song?
I dunno but it’s the same one they used to replace Blitzkrieg Bop last year and it sucks. They brought the Bop back this year u til this match but then they butt fumbled again. Blitzkrieg Bop has always been one of the few things that gets the crowd going consistently but between that and 170.00 (with Member Discount! Blank!) jerseys they just seem intent on crushing our souls until the stadium opens.

Great win tonight. Always extra sweet for me vs. Revs.

But the YS experience is going to shit. No Heineken. No Mighty Quinn. No Blitzkrieg Bop.

Thank heavens for that Citi Field Pastrami sandwich.

Cushing substituted forwards for forwards and the team kept pushing. A win. Imagine that. I’ve been hard on Nick, and one game against a poor side doesn’t cure everything, but I will credit him for using the forward depth and staying aggressive.

Goal scorers always win MOTM, but Freese was awesome, and Ilenic had his best game in some time. Either would have been my choice.

One stadium positive and one negative:

The new font is good. The scheme and design fit the team and feel unique. Good job graphics team.

Please, intern, have them bring back The Ramones for goals. This new “song” is worse than a public domain jingle. The Ramones are New York City and Blitzkrieg Bop gets everyone out of their seats. Charge me an extra 10 dollars for season tickets to cover the licensing fee. It’s worth it.
Amen

That was the coldest, most miserable night to be outside in 2 weeks. At least it didn't rain.
Ojeda started, and he and Fernandez scored. How about that?
Winning is fun.
We're definitely not the worst team in the league. I'm not sure I draw any further conclusions.

The new MLS official xG stats continue to be way out of line with others.

Opta NYC 1.63 NER 0.37
ASA NYC 1.72 NER 0.73
MLS NYC 2.4 NER 0.7

The MLS stats have consistently been very off for at least one team in every game this year since I noticed. I don't trust them. They're easy to find when you're on the MLS site anyway, but I don't think they're reliable. If you don't want to deal with the Opta demo widget, you can get the Opta figures from FotMob or FBref.

Last edited: