MLS - August 4 - Chicago (Away)

Chicago won their first road point all season on Sunday at Philadelphia playing with 10 men for most of the game. So they're probably feeling pretty good, but this also could be a let-down game for them, and they might be physically and emotionally exhausted.

The other thing I want to say is I watched the replay of the DOGSO red on Sunday, which was described as possibly very soft. The teams wore (effectively) white and black uniforms, because this is 2021 and that's what we do. So watching the play I had no idea who was who. And it was not until watching it again a day later that I realized I thought the attacker was the defender and vice-versa. I originally thought it was a soft foul; when I found out I had the roles reversed it was extremely soft. The Fire was done wrong, but they rallied effort and it worked out for them. But who knows how they will react the next game.
IF you think that one was bad, look at the one from vancouver vs minnesota. Absolutely nuts
(6:18)

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Yeah. It bugs me that refs routinely allow extremely physical play in the box as long as it can be thought of as shoulder-to-shoulder, but even more annoying when they then call it a foul.
Well, they also call it a penalty when the defender is the one with the ball and the attacker runs into the defender...?!?!?!

So we should see Santi start today and Maxi take a day off?

I would think so but who knows with Ronny. He did say Santi was very close to a start, so maybe Chicago is the team to do it. Would be nice to keep maxi fresh for TFC, where I think it'll be more important to get control of the midfield and having more experience there as far as our team dynamics and style, will be critical to our success.

Reactions: danger and Kjbert
Well, they also call it a penalty when the defender is the one with the ball and the attacker runs into the defender...?!?!?!
I thought that was what happened the first angle, but if you watch again, the offensive player gets in front, and the defender kicks him from behind.

I would think so but who knows with Ronny. He did say Santi was very close to a start, so maybe Chicago is the team to do it. Would be nice to keep maxi fresh for TFC, where I think it'll be more important to get control of the midfield and having more experience there as far as our team dynamics and style, will be critical to our success.
I could get behind this.

Reactions: moogoo
I thought that was what happened the first angle, but if you watch again, the offensive player gets in front, and the defender kicks him from behind.
When your elbow is behind someone else so much that you can pull backwards on the other guy's shoulder with your hand, you're not in front. What I see is the offensive player is behind except for his left leg which he angles in front of the defender with no attempt to play the ball, but he does interfere with the defender making contact.

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 3.42.54 PM.png

When your elbow is behind someone else so much that you can pull backwards on the other guy's shoulder with your hand, you're not in front. What I see is the offensive player is behind except for his left leg which he angles in front of the defender with no attempt to play the ball, but he does interfere with the defender making contact.

View attachment 11332
I agree with Mark's observation, when watching the play live the Vancouver player almost lunges into the ball area, making clear contact onto the minnesota player, not the other way around.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I would be so happy if we continue with +2 goal differential wins with as many clean sheets as possible from now on...

and then we lift MLS cup at yankee stadium and laugh at all the other fans cry foul cause we're playing in a baseball stadium on a "tiny" field.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
DELETED

Last edited:
Ian really nailed the keys to the game. You can tell he’s really done his homework on Chicago.

Attachments

• E57FE8FB-74DA-416C-A7A7-EB101C006B34.jpeg
    E57FE8FB-74DA-416C-A7A7-EB101C006B34.jpeg
    7.7 MB · Views: 26