Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
Chicago Fire FC vs. New York City FC
Wednesday, August 4 8 PM ET
Solider Field
YES Network App

Reactions: Kjbert
Sands just played 3 games in a week (?) including 120 mins last night, was probably out partying until dawn and now has to fly across the country.

He should be in the press box Wednesday.

ronny said sands is probably questionable for wednesday. but they'll make a decision on that day.

he also said the team will be staying in chicago to train and then fly to toronto from there.

we should fully expect johnson to play though. let's hope the dude's not super rusty now from warming that bench.

ronny said sands is probably questionable for wednesday. but they'll make a decision on that day.

he also said the team will be staying in chicago to train and then fly to toronto from there.

we should fully expect johnson to play though. let's hope the dude's not super rusty now from warming that bench.
With regards to Johnson, I’m hoping he may have learned something new or picked something up from Turner! Maybe the time off and a different environment will help him come back and perform better than before!

This game feels like a trap game… but it also seems like we could douse the fire 6-0
To me a trap game is between 2 tougher, more important games. We did just play Orlando and Columbus, but after the Fire we have Toronto and Miami. We can falter, but it should not be because the team is looking ahead.

ETA: I justs did a mini-web survey and it seems there are 2 slightly different definitions of trap game. Mine and the broader "any game against an inferior opponent you might not take seriously." I like the narrow one better, but I don't make the rules.

Last edited:
To me a trap game is between 2 tougher, more important games. We did just play Orlando and Columbus, but after the Fire we have Toronto and Miami. We can falter, but it should not be because the team is looking ahead.
I suppose I need to update my definition of a “trap game” then lol. What I’m trying to say is, the team will be riding a lot of confidence (which is founded by prior results) and may under perform badly in this game due to the feeling of “I got this” instead of a more humble approach. Resulting in falling flat on the team’s proverbial face

Reactions: Kjbert
I suppose I need to update my definition of a “trap game” then lol. What I’m trying to say is, the team will be riding a lot of confidence (which is founded by prior results) and may under perform badly in this game due to the feeling of “I got this” instead of a more humble approach. Resulting in falling flat on the team’s proverbial face
Look back at my ETA which I made almost simultaneous with your response. It seems there are 2 valid usages.

Reactions: JCMore
I don’t necessarily buy into the notion of trap games and somewhat relatedly, I think if you were to poll the fan base of a playoff team, you’ll likely find that the majority of their fans think their team “plays down to the level of the competition”.

Chicago won their first road point all season on Sunday at Philadelphia playing with 10 men for most of the game. So they're probably feeling pretty good, but this also could be a let-down game for them, and they might be physically and emotionally exhausted.

The other thing I want to say is I watched the replay of the DOGSO red on Sunday, which was described as possibly very soft. The teams wore (effectively) white and black uniforms, because this is 2021 and that's what we do. So watching the play I had no idea who was who. And it was not until watching it again a day later that I realized I thought the attacker was the defender and vice-versa. I originally thought it was a soft foul; when I found out I had the roles reversed it was extremely soft. The Fire was done wrong, but they rallied effort and it worked out for them. But who knows how they will react the next game.

Last edited:
I don’t necessarily buy into the notion of trap games and somewhat relatedly, I think if you were to poll the fan base of a playoff team, you’ll likely find that the majority of their fans think their team “plays down to the level of the competition”.
One reason I prefer the tighter definition is you can at least discuss it in advance. With the broad definition it is applied after the fact to any game a good team loses to a lesser team.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC