Mls CBA 2015 Thread

I meant - how do they not fold?
They are own by a wealthy guy that has more interest in seeing how his team in London are doing.

And they did win the MLS Cup in 2010, so not that long ago, they were competitive.

Reactions: Kjbert
That guy being Stan Kroenke who Arsenal fans should be targeting with far more conviction than Wenger. Not that Wenger is entirely faultless but people tend to go for the easier target. I'm surprised the owner of the Jacksonville NFL outfit didn't invest in MLS instead of Fulham FC but anyhow. I know if I was based primarily in the US would go with MLS over EPL ownership every time.

MLS Ownership seems spilt, into the want salary cap to go up and open to spending and the others who don't want to any spending

MLS Ownership seems spilt, into the want salary cap to go up and open to spending and the others who don't want to any spending
Yes, this group still seems evenly divided, for every CFG there is a Phil Rawlins. For a Joe Roth there is a Bob Kraft. The Coalition of the Willing To Spend is starting to win though.

MagnusPax MagnusPax what do you think is affordable to the league owners right now? $5 Million? I have no clue.

MagnusPax MagnusPax what do you think is affordable to the league owners right now? $5 Million? I have no clue.
as of 2014's # MLS gas only generated ~$500 million in revenue so yes that looks to go up to 650-700 range next year(that is still lease than 2.bundasliga and serie b. It why I keep saying tie the cap to revenue cause the only way MLS can have a $20 million + cap is by MLS generating at least $1.6 billion in revenue and MLS is 5- 10 years form that.

Reactions: Gavin23 and Kjbert
I just posted this on the Draft thread, probably more relevant here:

Don't get too hung up on changes in the CBA. Recent news out of the negotiations make it clear the Players want 2 things, higher average pay and free agency. I have never ever read anything where the Players want more DPs or changes to GA or anything, Players aren't even necessarily going for a higher cap, just higher average pay.So if the cap goes up significantly or, more possibly, they raise the limit on DPs, it will be all on the League not the Players and I don't think that is what most people are theorizing.

Reactions: LostAnvil
I just posted this on the Draft thread, probably more relevant here:

Don't get too hung up on changes in the CBA. Recent news out of the negotiations make it clear the Players want 2 things, higher average pay and free agency. I have never ever read anything where the Players want more DPs or changes to GA or anything, Players aren't even necessarily going for a higher cap, just higher average pay.So if the cap goes up significantly or, more possibly, they raise the limit on DPs, it will be all on the League not the Players and I don't think that is what most people are theorizing.
I think teams want more DP slots but in the salary cap league I think they are going to raise the cap to be able to more in average salary also by adding a salary floor along with rising the cap. Form reading want Twellman is tweeting I think they are going to get a very limited version of Free agency for players with Time Severed ala the NHL and NBA. Maybe it will be fitting some players between a cap/floor and get big players as DPs.

I think teams want more DP slots but in the salary cap league I think they are going to raise the cap to be able to more in average salary also by adding a salary floor along with rising the cap. Form reading want Twellman is tweeting I think they are going to get a very limited version of Free agency for players with Time Severed ala the NHL and NBA. Maybe it will be fitting some players between a cap/floor and get big players as DPs.
Very well might be. I was just pointing out that it seems that for the most part the League likes it the way it is, maybe they add DPs, maybe they don't. The catalyst for change here is the Players Union demands. They want higher average wages, they want free agency. It doesn't seem like they care about DP slot rules or care about what the cap is, just as long as their members get more of it. In theory, the league could lower the amount of roster spots based on the existence of the USL Pro affiliations. That would allow less players to take more from the existing salary cap.

Just a theory, just wanted to put that out there for this discussion.

Very well might be. I was just pointing out that it seems that for the most part the League likes it the way it is, maybe they add DPs, maybe they don't. The catalyst for change here is the Players Union demands. They want higher average wages, they want free agency. It doesn't seem like they care about DP slot rules or care about what the cap is, just as long as their members get more of it. In theory, the league could lower the amount of roster spots based on the existence of the USL Pro affiliations. That would allow less players to take more from the existing salary cap.

Just a theory, just wanted to put that out there for this discussion.
I get what you are say, but I think the FOs want an extra DP slot and players union want higher pay for mid-tier players and Free Agency.