Mls CBA 2015 Thread

franchise646

Registered
Oct 31, 2014
I figure this could be fun you can use this as A place to make CBA proposals. Here is mine and it is most inspired by the North American Leagues. And Given the current state of the MLS and how much revenue the league is currently bring in and how much it can bring in, in the future. I am so confident in this proposal I'm going to make this form the owners Point of View. This is a proposal for a 10 year CBA (which I know is unheard of).

1) Hard Salary cap and Floor.
The Salary cap and Floor (most and least a team can spend) will be calculated by taking 45% of Soccer Driven revenue. The cap will be multipied by 110% and the Floor will be by 75%.
2) 4 DPs players who are not affected by the cap.
3) Players who are demoted out of MLS give up 30% of the players contract.
4) players can be sent to NASL and USL-pro if not a DP and has a season with half the production of the year before.

Last edited:
My proposal would be start out with an initial cap of around 4-5 million depending on the revenue numbers and how much the league can handle, I don't know the exact number so i'll say anywhere around 4-5 million with a 6-7% increase each year. Add a 4th DP slot, increase the minimum salary to lets say 65k and the maximum at around 420k with an increase in both each year.

Reactions: Kjbert
Not bad, but the auto increase is already 5-7% and its at 3.1 million now. I think its possible. But reading the Players Union tweets sounds like they want a lot more.

The one thing I Forgot to add to my proposal that I think the MLSPA really want aside for the jump in pay is Free Agency.

Full, true free agency is going to take a work stoppage, that is a fight for another day. I think the best the union can do is get a big increase in the cap, and altering some of the player movement rules.

Reactions: Kjbert and Paul
Full, true free agency is going to take a work stoppage, that is a fight for another day. I think the best the union can do is get a big increase in the cap, and altering some of the player movement rules.

I agree 100%. True free agency will come in time and that is what will help make MLS a league "of choice" as Commish Garber likes to say, but I feel like that's 5 to 10 years down the road.

I think you will see that a sort of fake free agency in which once you are in the league you can talk to teams that can fit you under the cap

I'm not sure that's true. There's already a kind of free agency because players can simply leave MLS for other leagues that just isn't a threat to other NA leagues. Free agency as long as it's coupled with some protections for teams developing young talent wouldn't be the worst thing (Think like Bird rights in the NBA)

Reactions: doctorhoosier
If they do the hard salary cap/floor tied to revenue like other leagues do I think it makes free agency more likely because the rule could be you could only talk to teams that can fit you, unless you are a DP. BTW I mean this a general CBA thread.

This article that came out today talks about how free agency could work in MLS. http://soccergods.com/2014/12/10/mls-cba-2015/

He and I came to the same to the same conclusion the NHL free agency system could work for MLS. Really aside form have 4 DPs my propose would that final paragraph and cut copy and paste the salary cap/floor formula and that would make everyone happy.

Last edited:
I think the cap will go up by a large number, but most of that will come from the increase in player minimums.

I really don't read Soccergods much, but here is another commentary on the up coming CBA, They are saying that the cap should roughly double (it is 3.1 million) for the quality of MLS players to improve. I say It should at the very least triple.

http://www.brotherlygame.com/2014/12/15/7358715/the-mls-cba-what-could-major-league-soccer-look-like-in-2020

Difference between what should happen and what will happen.

I would be thrilled if it just went to 6.2 Million and all they did was raise the player minimum on veteran contracts. That instantly makes this a more competitive league. Then you should own the CONCACAF market.

Difference between what should happen and what will happen.

I would be thrilled if it just went to 6.2 Million and all they did was raise the player minimum on veteran contracts. That instantly makes this a more competitive league. Then you should own the CONCACAF market.
I keep saying that I want a Cap and Floor tie to league revenue like the NHL, NBA and the NFL. The reason why is because it can grow or fall with the amount the league is generating and the league can focus on growing revenue while making the players partners in that.

Reactions: Gavin23 and Kjbert
I keep saying that I want a Cap and Floor tie to league revenue like the NHL, NBA and the NFL. The reason why is because it can grow or fall with the amount the league is generating and the league can focus on growing revenue while making the players partners in that.

The thing is, the reason that works in NHL, NBA and NFL is because they have a captive market. If the players don't like what's going on then what are their options? Put up with it or retire. In MLS, if a player doesn't like it they can just go to another country.

The thing is, the reason that works in NHL, NBA and NFL is because they have a captive market. If the players don't like what's going on then what are their options? Put up with it or retire. In MLS, if a player doesn't like it they can just go to another country.
We aren't going to move to an uncapped league, and setting a floor will make the players happy and the other it works for the other leagues is because revenues is are pretty dam big, but players want to make money. We have to find a system that works for the league and the players