MLS - February 27 - LA Galaxy (Away)

The stats laid out by mg show what I think most people already know. As he also said, it's not easy to score in soccer. If you've ever played competitively, you know this even more so.

Even so, you will hear people say "he should have scored" or "he's gotta put that away" all the time. Not just from fans but announcers as well. However, knowing how difficult it is to score, I've never interpreted it as comment on how easy it is to score and therefore the player should never have missed. Instead, it's always been an indicator of how rare the chance was.

For example, talles had an open header. Heber had a free shot on goal, albeit from a slightly poor angle. I'm both cases they were unmarked, which is rare. Such opportunities don't come often at the high level of the game.

At least that's how I think of it. I think most people feel the same way without articulating it as such when we're watching. Maybe because we're so used to announcers saying it so we parrot it? Hell, I bet if you play fifa, martin Tyler probably says it every other shot. Lol.

The stats breakdown was interesting though. Thanks for that.

Reactions: Kjbert and JCMore
I was wondering about this...
I would think it give players a pretty good case against any sort of red card suspension or fine.
Your honor, I'd like to cite Arajo's hand claw v. Chanot's face... case dismissed.
MLS meets WWF.
Opposing Counsel: "Objection! the victim here was not Chanot, who notoriously crumples to the ground in agony if a butterfly flaps his wings to closely. "
Judge: "Oh, thats a good point. Verdict overturned. Red card stands, and im adding further punishment you are now a STH for NYCFC"

It’s a red card if you’re Alexander Callens and the ref is Ismael Elfath

or it’s a handball if the player blasts the ball into your shoulder in the 8th minute of stoppage time. Eff Elfath he should never ref a NYCFC match again.

or it’s a handball if the player blasts the ball into your shoulder in the 8th minute of stoppage time. Eff Elfath he should never ref a NYCFC match again.
When my friend and I would go to games together back in i think 2017 or 2018, we always noted Elfath for being awful. Then we went the next year and we noted that Elfath did a great job all the time on our games. (I specifically noted it bc we had an anti-elfath thing for a while). Then he reverted. I guess refs can be "in form" and "out of form" just like a player is, but with their calls.

Reactions: Gotham Gator