MLS - June 17 - Columbus (Home)

I watched knowing the outcome because you can’t turn off the “show scores” on Apple TV on the web(couldn’t use the app). GRRRR.

You can in the account settings. It's all the way at the bottom and has to be done for every device you use. Sometimes it will reset for some stupid reason. But it is there and it does work most of the time.

Yes we need a striker, but if Santi is going to continue distributing this way, we need also need a 10.
My point above is that a striker making runs ahead of Sant would open up more options. When he is hits the wall of the backline, he is forced to stop. In the current configuration this is on Talles and Gaby, who don’t do it enough. A real striker would and I think it would change Santi’s options and we’d see more of what we saw at selected points when he was spelling Maxi at 10 last season
The crosses today from Cufre and Ilenic were terrible.
Except when they weren’t. Not sure how you can make this blanket statement given that Cufre dimed Talles with an INCH PERFECT cross in the first half. Probably the best cross of the match and for us, of the year. I’m usually an O’Toole partisan but Cufre was much more effective today.

In my recollection Santi and Gaby also shanked crosses pretty badly in the second half. Hardly matters since there’s almost always nobody in the box anyway and won’t be until we get a true CF. This team is currently built to walk it into the box and kill them with dinks and cutbacks. The problem is they seem to lack the confidence to do that.

You can in the account settings. It's all the way at the bottom and has to be done for every device you use. Sometimes it will reset for some stupid reason. But it is there and it does work most of the time.
Not on a web browser. ETA if you can find it on safari on a Mac, please send a screenshot.

Not on a web browser. ETA if you can find it on safari on a Mac, please send a screenshot.

It is for all web browsers. Just login and go to settings. Scrolll down to the bottom. I just did it on my android phone.

Screenshot_20230618-120246.png

This was the second game this year where we scored a late equalizer at home and celebrated in the corner instead of grabbing the ball out of the net and running back for kickoff. This is not a team that has a belief in winning. Credit to Ledezma who did grab the ball and was yelling to the rest of the team to get back to play.

It is for all web browsers. Just login and go to settings. Scrolll down to the bottom. I just did it on my android phone.

View attachment 12853
Apple TV+ and Android phone and MacOS do not have the same settings menu.

The toggle doesn’t exist if you are logged into appleTV+ on safari on a Mac. It’s not there. I was watching in the web because MLS season pass wasn’t showing up in my Apple TV+ app and I had to update my OS to get it to work. So now I can watch in app on my laptop again, but you cannot turn off the scores in safari on MacOS.

Apple TV+ and Android phone and MacOS do not have the same settings menu.

The toggle doesn’t exist if you are logged into appleTV+ on safari on a Mac. It’s not there. I was watching in the web because MLS season pass wasn’t showing up in my Apple TV+ app and I had to update my OS to get it to work. So now I can watch in app on my laptop again, but you cannot turn off the scores in safari on MacOS.
The thing I love about Apple is how it all just works. /s

I am coming back around to last Saturday's game because I think there was actually a fair amount to discuss in terms of players and tactics.

Our shape in the build up and when in Columbus' half looked new to me. Often, Barraza would come forward and take a position next to Sands as if they were both Centerbacks. In turn, Haak and Alfaro went up the sidelines like fullbacks, and this allowed the fullbacks farther up the pitch.

It was an interesting look, and I was impressed by how well Barraza played the role, distributing well.

My son commented that this often turned into a 3-2-2-3, or W-M formation, and sometimes into a 3-2-5. All fairly new, and I think fairly effective for us.

p.s. I was going to take some screenshots to share, but 1) AppleTV doesn't let you do it and 2) our crappy camera angles at Yankee Stadium don't really capture it.

I am coming back around to last Saturday's game because I think there was actually a fair amount to discuss in terms of players and tactics.

Our shape in the build up and when in Columbus' half looked new to me. Often, Barraza would come forward and take a position next to Sands as if they were both Centerbacks. In turn, Haak and Alfaro went up the sidelines like fullbacks, and this allowed the fullbacks farther up the pitch.

It was an interesting look, and I was impressed by how well Barraza played the role, distributing well.

My son commented that this often turned into a 3-2-2-3, or W-M formation, and sometimes into a 3-2-5. All fairly new, and I think fairly effective for us.

p.s. I was going to take some screenshots to share, but 1) AppleTV doesn't let you do it and 2) our crappy camera angles at Yankee Stadium don't really capture it.
Good observation. I had the same discussion at the match as my wife was yelling at expressing concern that Barraza was too far out of goal. Then we had a conversation about how that enabled one more NYCFC player up the pitch to create opportunities for overload.

It's a nice idea with a keeper who can execute (and a team that isn't mistake at the back prone). But then you also need to take advantage of the overloads. We got the first part right last game. Now need to find a way to do the second.

I had the same discussion at the match as my wife was yelling at expressing concern that Barraza was too far out of goal. Then we had a conversation about how that enabled one more NYCFC player up the pitch to create opportunities for overload.
Someone in the game chat noticed as well ( Gene Gene ?), and also was concerned about the danger. I figure if it helps us get 2-3 more chances a game that might mean an extra goal every 4-5 games and I'm OK with that. The reason why videos of someone putting in a chip or long distance goal over a retreating keeper go viral is they are rare.

Reactions: Gene and SoupInNYC
Someone in the game chat noticed as well ( Gene Gene ?), and also was concerned about the danger. I figure if it helps us get 2-3 more chances a game that might mean an extra goal every 4-5 games and I'm OK with that. The reason why videos of someone putting in a chip or long distance goal over a retreating keeper go viral is they are rare.
Yes. That's me every match.