MLS - June 17 - Columbus (Home)

Half an hour into the match and probably a couple of hundred up there now.

Reactions: Kjbert
To draw this many for a team not getting results.. it's impressive. maybe tickets were that cheap?

Crooks said over 30K today.

Segal saves us again. Will it be a turning point this time? who knows. Ref screwed us on the last call. def should have been a corner.

We are too tired or just not motivated enough to transition well. At least not everyone does it. Way too static on the attack and when we do make runs, they are predictable. in contrast, columbus transitioned very well and made it hard for us to play any type of counter because we were simply too slow to add numbers into the attack and play quickly.

all in all - an EH kinda game with a few really good chances.

Don't think a #9 and some reinforcements fix our problems... we have decent (not great) wing backs who can provide some threat going forward but they are also terrible at defending. our best defending wing back (gray) is terrible at going forward. I guess it's not easy to find someone who is great at both... anton was a unicorn for sure.

onto the next. I'm not giving up on this team yet. with a good transfer window and maybe some new thought process/mind refresh with leagues cup, things may turn around for us. The next handful of games will be tough w/o sands though.

The talent isn’t there. That is all

Talles as productive as Mitrita.

Reactions: Vallos
I couldn’t attend todays game because I’m recovering from a knee injury, but wow that game was brutal to watch. NYCFC continues to switch off in moments and/or make mistakes to give the other team goals. I had literally no reaction to when Segal scored, it doesn’t really mean anything because this team is very bad and neither the players know how to win nor the coach knows how to motivate. With Zelarayan that’s 2-0 and the game is over before Segal’s goal.

They are going to continue to lose points - Atlanta, Portland, MTL coming up and those are all long travel (ATL midweek and then POR on the weekend is just brutal). Best case scenario is a turnaround and maybe they squeak into the 7-8-9 spot and then get hammered.

CIN, NSH, PHL, CLB, ATL all better - maybe 6 is their ceiling if they maybe figure it out.

Food Be More Here GIF by Clio Awards

Just got home. Felt like we were aimlessly passing into the box with nobody there to receive. Until the 93rd minute, that is. Got a sore neck from shaking my head the whole match LOL. At the goal I kinda felt, “ugh, finally” more than anything else.

And even Magno ducking and weaving his way into the box a few times. Which was fine, but then there was nobody else there to help with the triple-team, so no results from all that work.

Being at all these matches it feels like we <could> be good. But we’re not. Can’t wait for that mythical new striker to arrive in the transfer window!

My thoughts on Talles are Coach Lasso should come and teach him the offside rule, and maybe we could play Talles with Segal the way he likes to play feeding a 9? Because Talles obviously doesn’t want to be the guy himself.
And just play Segal more, you know the guy scoring at a pace of a goal every 180 minutes? Small sample size blah blah, but who else we got? Plus maybe start Richy? I don’t care if our underperforming #10 DP gets squeezed out.
OK thanks.

My thoughts on Talles are Coach Lasso should come and teach him the offside rule, and maybe we could play Talles with Segal the way he likes to play feeding a 9? Because Talles obviously doesn’t want to be the guy himself.
And just play Segal more, you know the guy scoring at a pace of a goal every 180 minutes? Small sample size blah blah, but who else we got? Plus maybe start Richy? I don’t care if our underperforming #10 DP gets squeezed out.
OK thanks.

yea. seriously. we don't have anybody else. segal is not high quality but at least he's putting in effort and crashing that goal. play the kid cause neither talles nor santi want to be the #9/false9

Reactions: mgarbowski
I guess I’m naive or dumb or something but if so then so was everyone else in my section because when Segal scored we all leaped up and cheered! Yea it was probably more relief than anything else but still. Relief is better than sadness/numbness.

Also, xG was 1.4 to 1.1 in our favor.

I watched knowing the outcome because you can’t turn off the “show scores” on Apple TV on the web(couldn’t use the app). GRRRR.

Anyway, knowing the outcome I was pretty dispassionate and I’m less pessimistic than most of you.

The negatives:

We don’t get into the box nearly enough. If you play small ball like we do, you ain’t gonna score from outside the box. When we penetrate we cause all kinds of chaos but for some reason Santi, Talles and Gaby use their magic on the touch line and not on or inside the 18.

On the goal against, Alfaro just stopped, allowing the Columbus player to run by him a flat footing the rest of the D. Ilenic was the only defender in a position to cover Ramirez and he didn’t get back fast enough. But even token resistance from Alfaro would have allowed Haak or Sands to get set.

The positives:
Our homegrown defenders were very solid. Haak had a great match. Sands was good, Gray was excellent in his short stint.

Our defense in general has been very good of late, top to bottom. We need to score.

Keaton looked like his old self.

Aside from on the goal against, Ilenic looked strong today.

Cufre was good going forward and his cross to Talles was almost perfect. Talles should have buried it and I think Segal would have.

Gabe continues to take advantage of his opportunities.

I think a striker will make a huge difference. Santi, Gaby and Talles will benefit massively from someone making runs and opening up space for them to work into. Cufre and Keaton have been trying to do this from the back but it doesn't really work when you are coming in from behind. Which is why I think we should be starting Segal until we get our striker. As FEAR once sang, “we need the space.”

I’m not happy or satisfied with the roster or in particular with our expensive South American attackers. But I also don’t think that, at full strength, it’s a BAD roster. Underachieving, yes. I think a striker changes everything. And we probably need two, to present different looks and as injury insurance.

Really feel like we need a No. 10 more than a striker. So many passes and crosses that are off. How many times was an overlapping runner taken away from goal? How many times were we on a rush, only to stop so we could figure out what we wanted to do?

Yes we need a striker, but if Santi is going to continue distributing this way, we need also need a 10.

I was encouraged by Cushing postgame when he said we are definitely filling these spots. There's enough time to go on a run -- especially with our end of the season. This team is better than this, but they're not good enough to be true contenders.

From 2016-2022, we had the best record in MLS. It's perfectly acceptable to have a down year, but it feels like this is more on underperformance than on being not good enough.

Reactions: KevinJRogers