Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
New York City FC vs. New England Revolution
Saturday, June 3 3:30 PM ET
Yankee Stadium
Apple TV (MLS Season Pass)

I'm glad I added the team schedule to my Calendar app or I might have missed the game this afternoon. That 7:30 rhythm didn't take long to take over.

Posted in the Cincy thread, then deleted and reposting here:

MLS posting this three days after the match is quite odd. If anything, he likely said something to the referee. But we’ll find out when the report is released and Gray is continually suspended until it’s been fully investigated. Shouldn’t take longer than a week but we’ll see. There wasn’t any malice on the field related to anything that wasn’t a tackle foul on the field that night.

Also I don’t love the guilty until proven innocent policy the league has. Because of an allegation, he can’t play? There were no reports/tweets about such allegation after the game.

Gameday Weather and Transit Report™

Temps in the upper 60s, mostly cloudy with the potential for strong gusts.

D train service will have several changes from normal service. Uptown D trains will run local via the C line on 8th Avenue from West 4th to 145th Street. No service north of 161 St-Yankee Stadium. Downtown D skips 155th St.

Downtown 4 trains will be skipping 138th Street-Grand Concourse.

This one was way too complicated to figure out. I need a nap.

The Cincinnati match included
  • I think 12 yellows (I'm not going back to count)
  • a goal waved off for a phantom foul
  • a near headbutt that wasn't
  • a player fined by the league for embellishment of said non-headbutt
  • some near mass confrontations that weren't
  • a coach press conference that called out the ref at length that so far has not been sanctioned
  • Sands arguing with a fan after the game
  • now Tayvon suspended for a mystery language violation
They're losing, but they haven't stopped entertaining us.

Last edited:
  • a coach press conference that called out the ref at length that so fas has not been sanctioned

entertaining us like a come back story movie and we're in the down in the dumps phase now before the rocky music starts and we make a feel good comeback run to the cup but come up just short?

• a coach press conference that called out the ref at length that so far has not been sanctioned

I wouldn't call the Tayvon situation entertaining. Especially considering the litany of things he could have said on the field.

Reactions: Kjbert
So what’s interesting in the MLS statement is Tayvon’s incident is described as “language that violates league policy” vs Vanzeir’s “abusive and offensive” language.

So what’s interesting in the MLS statement is Tayvon’s incident is described as “language that violates league policy” vs Vanzeir’s “abusive and offensive” language.
Might just be inconsistent communication, but if it's not, is there language that violates league policy that isn't offensive? The only thing I can think of is words against the referee, but then surely the referee would've done something at the time, rather than waiting three days?

Might just be inconsistent communication, but if it's not, is there language that violates league policy that isn't offensive? The only thing I can think of is words against the referee, but then surely the referee would've done something at the time, rather than waiting three days?

If a player asked a referee “How much are they paying you?” that could be language that violates policy but not racist or abusive.

If that was it, I am fine with it. Generally, I find blaming officials for losses a hollow excuse - and I don’t think the team earned more than a draw Wednesday (but it should’ve been a draw) - but in this instance some fight and anger to shake the team out of its death spiral is not a bad thing. Find something around which to rally. Might as well be a third-tier referee.

New, York, City, Football, Club versus the world. Go out and kick some ass.
Hopefully, this is the exact tack Nick will take: "Everything is against us -- fate, luck, injuries, the league, the schedule, the refs. SCREW IT. We're going to win this game today anyway."

One game at a time, us against the world. Works every time (it doesn't have to be true LOL). And it might actually inject a true personality into this squad. We have talent, even if we're not complete yet, but we lack unity of purpose. The team just hasn't gelled into a whole greater than the sum of its parts.

And I hate to say it, but we're kind of milquetoast. Lots of passing the ball around, plenty of pretty numbers, but not enough attack, not enough ruthlessness, not enough taking it to the other team and going for the jugular. So far, we've been playing to a style, not playing to win. That has to change.

Deleted

Last edited:
And I hate to say it, but we're kind of milquetoast. Lots of passing the ball around, plenty of pretty numbers, but not enough attack, not enough ruthlessness, not enough taking it to the other team and going for the jugular. So far, we've been playing to a style, not playing to win. That has to change.
Sounds like we need some of that Jason Kreis "who's gonna be the dick” energy.

Last edited:
Sounds like we need some of that Jason Kreis "who's gonna be the dick energy."
Back in the day we called it "having a hair across your ass." Playing pissed off. But channeled anger, under control -- a controlled sense of urgency.

A lot of people in this forum are down on him, but Mati Pellegrini is one of the few players who consistently plays that way. Gabi does it. Tayvon does it when he's defending. Mitja does it, except in kind of a funny "nice kid" sort of way.

I don't think we're getting enough of it from Keaton -- who should be wearing the armband and leading the way, planted right in the middle of the pitch like a maypole -- or Sands, both of whom seem to be thinking more about leadership than exercising it.

Santi is a bit too much of a hothead and needs a wingman. Maxime is ready to go, but he sort of does it within his own bubble and it doesn't wash over the rest of the guys the way it did when Callens was leading the line.

So, there's a character void there. It may be one of those things which just sort of has to happen. But it's unquestionably up to Cushing to create the conditions for it to happen, and he hasn't seemed to be able to find the way yet (reading out of the textbook doesn't work).

Reactions: mgarbowski
Back in the day we called it "having a hair across your ass." Playing pissed off. But channeled anger, under control -- a controlled sense of urgency.

A lot of people in this forum are down on him, but Mati Pellegrini is one of the few players who consistently plays that way. Gabi does it. Tayvon does it when he's defending. Mitja does it, except in kind of a funny "nice kid" sort of way.

I don't think we're getting enough of it from Keaton -- who should be wearing the armband and leading the way, planted right in the middle of the pitch like a maypole -- or Sands, both of whom seem to be thinking more about leadership than exercising it.

Santi is a bit too much of a hothead and needs a wingman. Maxime is ready to go, but he sort of does it within his own bubble and it doesn't wash over the rest of the guys the way it did when Callens was leading the line.

So, there's a character void there. It may be one of those things which just sort of has to happen. But it's unquestionably up to Cushing to create the conditions for it to happen, and he hasn't seemed to be able to find the way yet (reading out of the textbook doesn't work).
I'm going to reply to myself on this one. Today we showed all the stuff we've been lacking all season. Lots of leadership out there, guys playing with their heads up and communicating, looking like a much more aggressive, determined and resilient side. Really happy. We played like a winning team today even if we didn't come away with the win.

Now it's time for a big piece of chocolate cake and a tall glass of milk to celebrate.