MLS - June 3 - New England (Home)

In other positive news, the ref only screwed us with the red card which had little effect on the outcome instead of disallowing NYCFC goals and calling penalties. Progress.

Unrelated, but in a weird schedule quirk, NYCFC now has played 6 of their 8 games this year against the top four in the Eastern Conference (CIN, NSH, PHL, NER) after playing less than half the season. I know the team hasn’t been good but the schedule has been tough.

In other positive news, the ref only screwed us with the red card which had little effect on the outcome instead of disallowing NYCFC goals and calling penalties. Progress.

Unrelated, but in a weird schedule quirk, NYCFC now has played 6 of their 8 games this year against the top four in the Eastern Conference (CIN, NSH, PHL, NER) after playing less than half the season. I know the team hasn’t been good but the schedule has been tough.
That’s not a tough schedule. We’re just not winning against the contenders of the league, which means we’re not contending.

That’s not a tough schedule. We’re just not winning against the contenders of the league, which means we’re not contending.

We aren't contenders.. but we can make something happen if we have some luck and play to our potential. But no, we aren't contenders. We should be a playoff team though.

We had many chances today and got a clean sheet. Keeper made some really good saves. Unlucky for us not to get the win but I'm happy with the effort and clean sheet considering our backline was rag tag and chanot was playing with an injury for a good bit.

No chanot or cufre next game. Red card was super soft in my opinion. Thought haak filled in well in the back 3. No major mistakes. We're gonna need him again next match.

Was hoping for at least a clean sheet and got that. So I'm happy. We played fairly well and heard the supporters cheering the boys on toward the end which was nice. I'm sure they appreciated that.

We had many chances today and got a clean sheet. Keeper made some really good saves. Unlucky for us not to get the win but I'm happy with the effort and clean sheet considering our backline was rag tag and chanot was playing with an injury for a good bit.

No chanot or cufre next game. Red card was super soft in my opinion. Thought haak filled in well in the back 3. No major mistakes. We're gonna need him again next match.

Was hoping for at least a clean sheet and got that. So I'm happy. We played fairly well and heard the supporters cheering the boys on toward the end which was nice. I'm sure they appreciated that.
Inconceivable we didn’t score today at least in the view from my seat. The soccer gods, as someone said, are clearly not with this team right now. With the chances we had we should have at least scored by mistake. Maybe I understand the “this team has talent” that some of you are saying today. What we still don’t have yet is a player with the willpower to score a goal when the chance is there or even when it doesn’t seem it’s there.
I think it’s criminal that Taty left and the striker move this season was being in Segal and send Heber to Seattle. Everyone and their mother in law was dubious about Talles at the 9. A 9 doesn’t fix everything but maybe the team wouldn’t seem so desperate at this point and you could build from a point of strength rather than limp along. Proud of the team and loved the national Anthem today. Singer was f’n great.

Reactions: Gene
Inconceivable we didn’t score today at least in the view from my seat. The soccer gods, as someone said, are clearly not with this team right now. With the chances we had we should have at least scored by mistake. Maybe I understand the “this team has talent” that some of you are saying today. What we still don’t have yet is a player with the willpower to score a goal when the chance is there or even when it doesn’t seem it’s there.
I think it’s criminal that Taty left and the striker move this season was being in Segal and send Heber to Seattle. Everyone and their mother in law was dubious about Talles at the 9. A 9 doesn’t fix everything but maybe the team wouldn’t seem so desperate at this point and you could build from a point of strength rather than limp along. Proud of the team and loved the national Anthem today. Singer was f’n great.

yea. the #9 situation is still a mystery. i think they tried but couldn't land who they wanted so decided to wait instead of bringing in someone temporarily. i think they sent andrade away because he was a locker room problem... maybe.

REV's keeper played well. his save off gabby's shot to the top left corner was world class. Sometimes, that's just how it is. We had our chances but they just didn't fall this time. Perhaps a clinical finisher would have made more of the chances we had today, but it is what it is. As you said, I am proud of our effort today. Hopefully it continues. We outshot the revs and defended well with a makeshift back line. Can't be mad at that.

Proud of the effort from the boys today -- we played really well. That's two straight games we played really well against one of the conference's elite teams, only to drop points. This spell is going to end. As someone said, our schedule has been absolutely brutal. Are we a contender? Absolutely not. Are we a playoff team? I really do think we are.

I do think we might need a No. 10 just as much -- or even more -- than we need the No. 9. We were so good entering the final third, but as soon as we enter the final third we stop, think about our options, and pass backwards until the ball lands with a fullback, who bombs in a cross. It's a very predictable offense. Right now, the only way we score is if Gaby does something brilliant. So many guys are lacking confidence offensively. Santi should be that chance-creating No. 10, and he had a great play to find Gaby in the second half, but for the most part has not made those unlocking passes.

We need someone with vision to unlock everything. It's impossible to replace Maxi, but we haven't even tried. It's impossible to replace Taty, but we haven't even tried. There seems to be so much complacency in the front office with our lack of depth; that better get sorted out in the summer window or David Lee can start looking for a new job.

I also really hate the Cushing out banners -- this roster is not his fault. He is doing the best he can with the substandard roster he's been given. It's not his fault he has no depth and all young immature players.

You could really see some of the energy drain away with the late subs. Which is pretty wild. Our supposedly makeshift lineup was the most cohesive and effective XI we've put out there all season, at least so far.

But as it is, we played with serious intent right to the final whistle. It's been something of a missing ingredient all year. If a draw at home can feel like a win, this is it. A very, very encouraging performance, just exactly what we needed.

Reactions: Revfugee
Tough, but at 1.46 only the 8th hardest schedule to date measured by opposing PPG with H/A adjustment. And the remainder is not all that much easier. As of now, the remaining opponent H/A PPG is 1.40. This is driven by
  • the 2 remaining games of the 8 you identified above are both away (CIN 3.00 and PHI 2.22).
  • we also play away at home strong ATL 2.13, MTL 2.50 and Columbus 2.22
  • we also host Orlando, the best Away team in MLS so far at 2.00
In the medium term, it gets worse: The H/A PPG of NYCFC's next 10 games is a killer 1.77. It only gets easier over the final 8 games at 0.95. If the team improves over the last quarter of the season it will be hard to tell if it is because of new players or the schedule. Unless we don't actually get any new players.

Reactions: canchon
to be fair, are on field var monitors ever really in anything nice? they tend to be stuck on pole stands or thrown somewhere behind the ad boards or something from what I can recall. we are brave enough to set up a picnic table for it. that's boss.
Yeah, I don't necessarily agree with Bogart's analysis, but I do think the art comparison is funny.

Reactions: moogoo and Kjbert
That red card decision definitely was questionable but also didn't affect the game at all as you noted, but it has a massive impact on the next one with Tayvon's status up in the air, Ilenic coming back from injury, apparently Turnbull also injured himself early on in this game and played through it. Chanot also suspended due to yellow card accumulation.

I did think there was one other spot where NYCFC was unlucky with the referee's decisions. In the 59', GP is played through and gets a shot off that is saved by Petrovich and after he gets his shot off, he's cleaned out from behind by the defender. I think there's quite a fair shout for a foul and a penalty there.

That red card decision definitely was questionable but also didn't affect the game at all as you noted, but it has a massive impact on the next one with Tayvon's status up in the air, Ilenic coming back from injury, apparently Turnbull also injured himself early on in this game and played through it. Chanot also suspended due to yellow card accumulation.

I did think there was one other spot where NYCFC was unlucky with the referee's decisions. In the 59', GP is played through and gets a shot off that is saved by Petrovich and after he gets his shot off, he's cleaned out from behind by the defender. I think there's quite a fair shout for a foul and a penalty there.

i think gabby was looking for the call on that and so was nick. i agree there is a good, fair shout for a PK there, but those calls are so rare if the attacker was able to get a shot off. I think, by the book, it should be a foul. It's no different than a defender getting cleaned out after making a clearing header or someone in midfield making the pass and then getting fouled. unfortunately, consistency of calls if what we will seemingly never get.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
i think gabby was looking for the call on that and so was nick. i agree there is a good, fair shout for a PK there, but those calls are so rare if the attacker was able to get a shot off. I think, by the book, it should be a foul. It's no different than a defender getting cleaned out after making a clearing header or someone in midfield making the pass and then getting fouled. unfortunately, consistency of calls if what we will seemingly never get.
Right, I'm not going to say that NYCFC got robbed of that call as I don't think it's always called. But IMO, it was a foul and should have been called and a penalty as the result.

I think it's another example of a call that could have (not necessarily should have) gone NYCFC's way and didn't and it could have made the difference of 2 additional points.

Right, I'm not going to say that NYCFC got robbed of that call as I don't think it's always called. But IMO, it was a foul and should have been called and a penalty as the result.

I think it's another example of a call that could have (not necessarily should have) gone NYCFC's way and didn't and it could have made the difference of 2 additional points.
It’s one of those moments where the offensive player is basically punished for making an offensive move. If Gabby had held onto the ball instead of shot we might be looking at 2 extra points. It’s encouraging flopping which is probably the worst thing to come out of this sport.