MLS - March 18 - D.C. (Home)

The sooner they move Gray to centerback, the better. He can be if great value to the team. Love his attitude. However, he is better defending one on one than he is providing offensive support or stopping crosses - as evident last night.

Didn’t he only move to right back after Tinnerholm was hurt? Any need to keep him there?
Maxime Chanot is what's keeping him there for now, I'm sure. But once Chanot segues into his coaching career Gray can slide over and Ilenic start at right back. Come the international break we'll no doubt get a preview: Cufré, Martins, Gray, Ilenic across the back.

I kinda like that. Something tells me Tayvon and Mitja are going to be a handful out there together in their proper positions.

Just FYI Bogert filled in for Doyle this week.

doesn't matter who wrote it. it should be on a tshirt like they did for anton. lol i guess it will take some more games before parks is appreciated league wide as a top five #8.

Big Bird: The Line Breaker
FaiD8I5VQAUAhBb

(random photo i found online of big bird behind bars, idk why there are uk flags.)

Maxime Chanot is what's keeping him there for now, I'm sure. But once Chanot segues into his coaching career Gray can slide over and Ilenic start at right back. Come the international break we'll no doubt get a preview: Cufré, Martins, Gray, Ilenic across the back.

I kinda like that. Something tells me Tayvon and Mitja are going to be a handful out there together in their proper positions.

I thought Ilenic is also gone on international duty this weekend.

We really need a number 9 if we are playing Keaton as a false 9
Keaton wasn't playing a false 9 and Callen Clark or whatever that announcers name was was annoying me so much rambling on about that.

Keaton pushed up to the 10 when Talles came off, this is exactly what happened last week (when Callen was also calling). Cushing even talked specifically about Keaton at the 10 in the post game.

Positionally, he's kind of in a false 9 spot when we are in our defensive structure because we defend in a flat 4-4-2 with the 10 as one of the top 2. But nothing about Keaton's game this week, or last week was false 9.

Quick thoughts:
  • Parks was incredible
  • I thought Tayvon had one of his better games in possession (not incredible, but much much better from his standards)
  • Agree on the no call on Parks but call on Pelligrini. Didn't think either of them were fouls, but if you're gonna call one (let alone a yellow), then the other has to be called
  • Looking for more from Cufre, thought he was just ok and could have had some moments to generate some better chances (though he was great on the goal)

I thought Ilenic is also gone on international duty this weekend.
He got called, but I haven't seen anything official about him leaving us. Their first game is in Belgium on Wednesday and he was still in our squad on Saturday, so it looks pretty tight. But I think these games are UEFA Championship qualifiers so I'd imagine he wants to go home for them. Just haven't seen it confirmed.

Luxembourg plays in Slovakia on Thursday so that means no Chanot this week, too. He's on the senior team so he's definitely going.

Lazy BS from the Athletic
View attachment 12624
I can’t roll my eyes far enough back for this. We’ve been playing in YS for 9 years now and it’s not changing in the near future. That’s 8 years to figure it fuckin out. Y’all are professional athletes. In order to get that far I’m sure every single one of them has played a game in less than ideal conditions to get to the pros. Lazy excuse. Red Bulls have figured it out. So have Portland. I truly think the CFG connection is more of an advantage than the damn stadium situation. Stop blaming the stadium and start blaming the oil money like Jim Curtin. You know, because it’s a salary capped league.

Periodic reminder that as of today NYCFC Away PPG all time is 1.20 which is 24% better than league average over same period. Yes, they outperformed Away more than at Home.
I am going to add this tidbit to the Athletic comments.

ETA: Here it is.
Jeff Reuter notes that NYCFC’s winning percentage at Yankee Stadium is about 10% above the league average. He then posits many reasons why this may be so, including that the stands in Yankee Stadium are at odd angles to the pitch (plausible), that the pitch is small (less plausible) and that the pitch is not regulation (implausible and debunked).

He might have taken the time to check NYCFC’s road performance. If he had, he’d have seen that since 2015, the Pigeons have averaged 1.2ppg on the road, which is 24% above the league average. Yes, the team with the horribly unfair home environment (that other teams somehow haven’t been able to adjust to after nearly a decade) actually outperforms the league average by more on the road than at home. It seems his throwaway alternative- that NYCFC has just been good - is actually the correct answer.

He might also have mentioned that some venues used in the Premier League (including Fulham’s Craven Cottage) are basically the same size as the Yankee Stadium pitch - and yet nobody is crying, moaning and rending their garments because such a thing is a foul offense against the very nature of football itself.

Last edited:
Maxime dropping f-bombs is worth the price of admission on this one. LOL

And what the heck with the flag going up on Talles Magno. Still mystified by that one. What a godawful display of officiating throughout.
This is not a defense of the call but I’m pretty sure the flag was on the pass before the one to Talles