Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
New York City FC vs. Portland Timbers
Saturday, March 9, 2 PM ET
Yankee Stadium
Apple TV (MLS Season Pass)

Winter is turning to spring, the days are getting longer, and New York City FC is playing in the five boroughs again.

Pumped for this home opener. As a founding member season ticket holder, this time of year has taken on a new meaning. Can’t wait to see those boys in blue on home soil.

I hope we play Bakrar and Jovan together up front from the jump. Bakrar is a mess and Jovan is green but it’s who we brought in to fill the (massive) hole so go with it. It may be unpolished but let them try to figure it out and create space for one another. Let them press and create mistakes. Let there be less emphasis on possession and safe passes and more crossing and long balls into the box. It’s not our traditional style but neither is Cushing ball whatever that is supposed to be. Any chance we start two strikers?

I hope we play Bakrar and Jovan together up front from the jump. Bakrar is a mess and Jovan is green but it’s who we brought in to fill the (massive) hole so go with it. It may be unpolished but let them try to figure it out and create space for one another. Let them press and create mistakes. Let there be less emphasis on possession and safe passes and more crossing and long balls into the box. It’s not our traditional style but neither is Cushing ball whatever that is supposed to be. Any chance we start two strikers?
With limited exceptions - I mean very limited, usually just parts of games - we seem historically allergic to dual striker setups.

Reactions: Shwafta and JayH
With limited exceptions - I mean very limited, usually just parts of games - we seem historically allergic to dual striker setups.
Very true. But we may already be at the point of desperate times.

Feels like the last thing we need is more crossing and longballs into the box. We tend to rely on that tactic too much, with zero results.

Feels like the last thing we need is more crossing and longballs into the box. We tend to rely on that tactic too much, with zero results.
Nah - last game we dominated possession, passed the ball 500 times, had 3 crosses and 1 shot on goal. That’s as unproductive as you can get. I am suggesting we need better service to a tandem of intended goal scorers, more direct and intentional play rather than unproductive neutral safe passing that never materializes into scoring chances.

Nah - last game we dominated possession, passed the ball 500 times, had 3 crosses and 1 shot on goal. That’s as unproductive as you can get. I am suggesting we need better service to a tandem of intended goal scorers, more direct and intentional play rather than unproductive neutral safe passing that never materializes into scoring chances.

agreed. we need to attack and stop with the safe, predictable, slow passing to the sides and back. all that gave us were repeated turnovers when our slow passing was easy to read and press. our attack is toothless.

in the last training vid, mcfarlane looked pretty good and was picking out crosses. i wouldn't mind giving him a shot over otoole just to see what the kid can do. he's at least a true left back instead of a converted one, like otoole.

overall, our keys to improving are faster passing, more movement to create more options for faster passing, and attacking with ruthless speed and aggression. we haven't done that in awhile... not since maxi was leading our midfield and taty/heber were reading the front line.

I just spent a fun 10 minutes looking at the match thread and game center for the 2017 Herrera red card game against Chicago. I thought Vieira subbed in a second striker after we went a man down, but it seems he did not. He did have the team play very aggressively, and maybe there was a formation change, but no striker sub.
But I'm also reporting that reading the match thread is a lesson in why you never build a statue or name something after someone until they are dead. We were ready to anoint Villa king after that game.

Reactions: FootyLovin and JayH