MLS - October 23 - D.C. (Home)

These are what I think were firsts from last night. Someone better at research, please fact check me:
  • Most goals (6)
  • Most players scoring (5)
  • Fastest to 2 goals (7')
  • Fastest to 3 goals (11')
I think maybe also most goals in a half with 4? Haven’t gone to confirm it yet

The formation change was very interesting and some interesting comments from Ronny and Malte about it postgame.

But it allowed Santi to pinch in more where he can combine better rather than staying out more wide and allowed Thiago to find more space on the right.

Going to make for an interesting rewatch for sure

Maybe the banner lit the fire under their collective tuchus.

I had a similar thought. This team felt like they were playing with a collective chip on their shoulder. It didn't feel like it was only because they'd been playing poorly. They attacked the 50-50 balls. They RAN to balls that could have easily been left out even when leading 6-0. They had fire I haven't seen in a really long time.

I'm most likely projecting but it felt like the lack of attendance, perhaps the banner, and the general media energy definitely gave them a little bit of that extra energy.

And hardly any people :(

I don’t see how you could say Hamid had a better night when SJ kept a clean sheet and Hamid coughed up a howler in the first five minutes, left a rebound in Maxis path for a sitter and let Medina’s shot go under him. Sure Hamid made some good saves but he most definitely did not have a better game than SJ. Even if you cut him slack on the Maxi and Medina goals and three others, all things being equal we still win 1-0.
Let me rephrase, Bill Hamid was DC's MVP last night. He was more important for them than Johnson was for us. Johnson prevented 1-2 goal opportunities, Hamid prevented 4-5.

More than winning 6-0, I think everyone wanted to see Heber score again. He had a few great chances but Hamid saved them all.

Reactions: canchon
Sands as the RB / CB thingy was really interesting to watch. I'd love to see more of it, and I'd love to see Tayvon get more time too. I'm seeing Gray pushing his way into the starting XI within a year or two. I wonder how Haak is doing at HA? Anyone been watching the games? I see he's been playing very regularly, so I'm curious if anyone has watched

Post-match pressers

Taty

Amundsen

Everyone throws hate at Ronny for "Not having a clear idea" - then he goes and does this beautiful game plan with James / Malte. And it was, according to Malte, part of the game plan. Credit to Ronny and the coaching staff for identifying this and working on it, and credit to James and Malte and the team for adapting to this new change so quickly. Now we know that James is capable of yet another position!

Last edited:
Right -- had we been playing poorly tonight, absolutely. Protest all you want. Chant, wave flags, get people's attention. I completely get it even pregame. But at 5-0? That's just being obnoxious. I want fans to set standards high, and this slump has been brutal, but the message gets lost when you're being unreasonable.

The banner was also oddly personal. They were waving it outside the employee entrance where players/coaches enter before the game. Point made, but I really don't think that sort of thing is helpful right now as they try to make the playoffs and go on a run. We need to get behind this team and push them to do it.

I didn’t get to see this one live. Watching a bit now.

One thing I noticed is that after the first goal, the broadcast cut to the supporters, and the fans were holding up the protest sign and waving it around in celebration. Very strange.

Another thing I noticed on the first goal is that the sequence was initially started by Johnson with a solid distribution to midfield. Someone, Taty I think, made a sloppy turnover. Morales stepped up and made a terrific slide tackle that pushed the ball forward and launched the attack. He did exactly what you want from that position - win the ball and get it forward to the offense.

On the second goal, the replays don’t show who kicked the long ball that Hamid failed to clear. It was Johnson, of course. Channeling his inner Barazza with the long kick.

Let me rephrase, Bill Hamid was DC's MVP last night. He was more important for them than Johnson was for us. Johnson prevented 1-2 goal opportunities, Hamid prevented 4-5.
Well yeah. I’ll grant he might have been their MVP on the night, but he still made enough errors on his own to lose the match.

To put the shoe on the other foot, if Johnson had committed those howlers and made 5 saves, we would be roasting him along with the rest of the D. And I doubt anyone here remembers our best player in the Red Wedding.

Here’s my redraft of your post:

“While Hamid made enough errors to lose the match for DCU singlehandledly, he made some spectacular stops, kept it from being even worse, and still managed to be his team’s best player on the night.”

Reactions: Shwafta
I had a similar thought. This team felt like they were playing with a collective chip on their shoulder. It didn't feel like it was only because they'd been playing poorly. They attacked the 50-50 balls. They RAN to balls that could have easily been left out even when leading 6-0. They had fire I haven't seen in a really long time.

I'm most likely projecting but it felt like the lack of attendance, perhaps the banner, and the general media energy definitely gave them a little bit of that extra energy.
Castellanos said, “The most important thing is to stick together, with the coaching staff, the club staff, and with everyone. That’s most important, that the team is united so that results come about, and we can play well to get into the playoffs.”

I didn’t get to see this one live. Watching a bit now.

One thing I noticed is that after the first goal, the broadcast cut to the supporters, and the fans were holding up the protest sign and waving it around in celebration. Very strange.

Another thing I noticed on the first goal is that the sequence was initially started by Johnson with a solid distribution to midfield. Someone, Taty I think, made a sloppy turnover. Morales stepped up and made a terrific slide tackle that pushed the ball forward and launched the attack. He did exactly what you want from that position - win the ball and get it forward to the offense.

On the second goal, the replays don’t show who kicked the long ball that Hamid failed to clear. It was Johnson, of course. Channeling his inner Barazza with the long kick.

I say this a someone who used to drink plenty of beers on game day when I was a season ticket holder so I mean no disrespect. A large part of our supporter's section is there for the party just a much as the game (which again I fully support). I don't think we can put much weight into when a sign is held up in our supporter's section, my bet would be it was less I'm consciously going to choose to still send this negative message even after a goal and more I'm drunk off my ass and we just scored a goal 30 seconds in so I'm going to wave around what's in my hand.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
So, is James Sands our new starter at RB/Elbow back?

It worked but I honestly hope not. Sands is better utilized elsewhere and Gray has done a more than respectable job filling in for Tinnerholm. We lose a bit going forward with Gary but he's been solid defensively and looked a bit better each game. I hope he continues to get starts and Sands can go back to owning the midfield.

More than winning 6-0, I think everyone wanted to see Heber score again. He had a few great chances but Hamid saved them all.
He also put his best chance well over the bar.

Really wanted to see him get it his first goal since returning at Yankee stadium and hopefully it’ll come soon

I say this a someone who used to drink plenty of beers on game day when I was a season ticket holder so I mean no disrespect. A large part of our supporter's section is there for the party just a much as the game (which again I fully support). I don't think we can put much weight into when a sign is held up in our supporter's section, my bet would be it was less I'm consciously going to choose to still send this negative message even after a goal and more I'm drunk off my ass and we just scored a goal 30 seconds in so I'm going to wave around what's in my hand.

They were waving it around while the players were clapping the fans after the game. When they won 6-0.

Sorry, but there is no break to be had there. It's a terrible job by those fans, and they should be embarrassed.