Mls Scheduling Ideas

I don't think it's pro/rel for pro/rel's sake. It's almost like there's two different viewpoints on this and they may or may not ever meet. I'm pro-relegation and pro-Supporters Shield, but you're probably pro-playoffs. Nothing wrong with either position, it's just that they're different and likely not compatible.

Actually, I would prefer a pro/reg system with full open access...

For me, the beauty of pro/rel is that winning matters for the whole season. With playoffs winning or losing makes no difference as long as you get that last playoff spot. You could totally suck and still make the playoffs, and from there it's only a few wins to the championship. To me that cheapens the whole thing. With playoffs you could lose every game and still keep your spot in the league. But with pro/rel you maybe have to fight for your life to stay up. So instead of everything sucking for the whole season there's excitement to the very end. And it's even better in the league below, as every single point matters as the league winner gets promoted. (That's why the NASL doesn't matter at all, because there's no hope of getting promoted into importance.)

So there's drama at the bottom of the top league and matching drama at the top of the bottom league. And there's also drama at the top of the top league with pro/rel as well. With playoffs it doesn't matter who wins the league at all as long as you're in. No real benefit to winning, and to me that's a shame.

Not trying to convince you or change your mind on this. I'm just pro two leagues and pro pro/rel.

...so I agree with all of this.

I just think the two leagues format is forced and incredibly unrealistic. If MLS 2 is kept so financially viable that teams would agree to it, why would teams care about being relegated? You can't have it both ways.

And as good as the narrative sounds, adding pro/reg only really effects the three-ish teams at the bottom of the first division. The other 17 teams aren't going anywhere, and at the top, teams are already playing their heart out for the title.

Like it or not, we are a large, closed league. Smaller, regional conferences (8-12 teams) with a postseason to determine the national title just makes more sense.

Interesting stuff. I do think that if we get Pro/Reg, it will be because the MLS itself gets so big that it's the only way to accommodate all the teams under one MLS-controlled tent.

There is very wide demand out there for local soccer teams. Many communities are organizing for one. It may be that the best model for pro soccer in this country is 80 communities, most of which draw 20,000 fans to a small stadium. And that could be okay. There is a great precedent in this country for a sport that has a few haves with mega-stadiums and many more have nots with smaller stadiums and less resources. It's college football, and if you told MLS they could be that big in 15-20 years, everyone would take it.

Let's imagine an MLS with 32 teams in 8 divisions. Now, 4 more communities want to form a pro soccer club and can create one with a reasonably sized stadium. Is MLS just going to let them go to NASL? The League already controls USL Pro. Why not admit those teams there and start Pro/Reg?

Interesting stuff. I do think that if we get Pro/Reg, it will be because the MLS itself gets so big that it's the only way to accommodate all the teams under one MLS-controlled tent.

There is very wide demand out there for local soccer teams. Many communities are organizing for one. It may be that the best model for pro soccer in this country is 80 communities, most of which draw 20,000 fans to a small stadium. And that could be okay. There is a great precedent in this country for a sport that has a few haves with mega-stadiums and many more have nots with smaller stadiums and less resources. It's college football, and if you told MLS they could be that big in 15-20 years, everyone would take it.

Let's imagine an MLS with 32 teams in 8 divisions. Now, 4 more communities want to form a pro soccer club and can create one with a reasonably sized stadium. Is MLS just going to let them go to NASL? The League already controls USL Pro. Why not admit those teams there and start Pro/Reg?

These communities won't be able to afford the expansion fee. The expansion fee is going to get larger and the available markets are going to be smaller. That's why all the other professional sports teams have hit the 30-32 natural barrier.

MLS will never, on their own volition, relegate teams that have paid an expansion fee or even expose them to the possibility. Maybe, maybe, maybe within USL, but never to the top division.