Mls Open To Proposal Of Playing In Copa Mx

sbrylski

Registered
Apr 24, 2014
http://www.espnfc.com/league-name/story/2188560/headline

"On Monday, Mexican league president Decio de Maria said league owners during Monday's owners meetings discussed the possibility of adding MLS teams in the Copa MX as soon as 2016. League owners did not say how the proposal would be scheduled in addition to CONCACAF Champions League."

Another competition? Hopefully this puts pressure on the CCL to improve it's format to remain the top North American club competition. But it would be cool to have a Copa America del Norte or something that consists of all the teams that didn't make the CCL in MLS, Liga MX, Ascenso MX, and NASL. Otherwise I don't see how this idea isn't redundant with the CCL.

Reactions: einwindir
Yea would be cool to have a Copa NorteAmericana (North American Cup) similar to what they have in South America. (Copa Sudamericana).

Maybe the CONCACAF Champions league needs to be eliminated and somehow negotiate for Copa Libertadores to be extended North, and give Mexico and USA 3 berths and then others teams like Costa Rica, Salvador, etc 1 berth, and other teams .5 berths to qualifiy, similar to UEFA Champions League.

If South American and Mexican teams play in the USA against any american team, i bet audiences (immigrant communities) will fill stadiums and the sports gain more popularity.

Reactions: Kjbert
They should take the teams that make it through the group stage in the Copa Libertadores and the teams that make it through group stage in the CCL and redraw them into a second, pan-America group stage prior to a final knockout tournament. That would be amazing.

Totally agree. I don't want MLS in any other competition until we can show that the 2010 run by Salt Lake wasn't a fluke and MLS doubles their salary cap. Otherwise its suicide.

yea I know its copa libertadores. It was imagined if champions league was eliminated and MLS gained 3 berths, and matched against those big south American teams. Its not likely to happen until MLS team start winning champion league titles

Agree. Maybe the whole Copa America Centenario that takes place here in the us leads to eventual talks or further discussions about it
Maybe that whole Copa America
Totally agree. I don't want MLS in any other competition until we can show that the 2010 run by Salt Lake wasn't a fluke and MLS doubles their salary cap. Otherwise its suicide.

this is weird, i guess there is money to be made on the US side of things, since copa MX has dreadful attendances in mexico until maybe the semi final of the tournament. I mean i feel like it will be like superliga again, which eventually was scrapped.

It seems that CCL's main problem is exposure. They are suppose to be on Fox Sports but it's hard to catch CCL games. These international club tournaments need the TV time like UEFA gets on TV.

Reactions: jerseyhotspur
Well I don't think those with the financial means would mind paying this place a visit...

azteca14.JPG

this is weird, i guess there is money to be made on the US side of things, since copa MX has dreadful attendances in mexico until maybe the semi final of the tournament. I mean i feel like it will be like superliga again, which eventually was scrapped.
Copa MX isn't a very important tournament. It's largely overlooked and teams use it as an opportunity to give their reserve players some time in games.

I personally think it would be cool to have MLS and Liga MX in a tournament.

Copa MX isn't a very important tournament. It's largely overlooked and teams use it as an opportunity to give their reserve players some time in games.

I personally think it would be cool to have MLS and Liga MX in a tournament.
Yes that is the only positive I see from copa mx to give youngsters minutes an that's fine. And attendances are dreadful I think only when Monterrey faced Tigres in a quarter final and I think cruz azul faced America in a semi final was there good attendances

As for MLS and liga mx in a tournament there was super liga but was scrapped after 4 or 5 editions I think.

I feel CCL is what should be the main tournament for leagues from the region to face off, anything else is pretty much a friendly tournament.

Reactions: USAfan6
Well I'm sure the Azteca does not sell out every game or come close. Club America won their league a few hrs ago however in front of 100,000+ so that was an exception! Still as stated if NYCFC ever visit there probably won't be that many! Note that one of CA's shirt sponsors is the same as Philadelphia.

Well I'm sure the Azteca does not sell out every game or come close. Club America won their league a few hrs ago however in front of 100,000+ so that was an exception! Still as stated if NYCFC ever visit there probably won't be that many! Note that one of CA's shirt sponsors is the same as Philadelphia.

Wow... That was a dirty mess of a game. 3rd goal was pretty though.

It seems that CCL's main problem is exposure. They are suppose to be on Fox Sports but it's hard to catch CCL games. These international club tournaments need the TV time like UEFA gets on TV.

I think even with exposure, the CCL will never be viable. No offense to any of the clubs outside Mexico and MLS (I know Saprissa is probably better than most MLS sides), but only these two leagues can provide a marquee match up that can get decent enough ratings and get fans talking.

I do somewhat agree though, that we shouldn't compete in the Libertadores or Copa MX until we prove that we can consistently compete in the CCL.

I think even with exposure, the CCL will never be viable. No offense to any of the clubs outside Mexico and MLS (I know Saprissa is probably better than most MLS sides), but only these two leagues can provide a marquee match up that can get decent enough ratings and get fans talking.

I do somewhat agree though, that we shouldn't compete in the Libertadores or Copa MX until we prove that we can consistently compete in the CCL.

I disagee. More exposure to the CCL and more success by MLS teams will develop awareness and rivalries with top Central American and even Caribbean teams. Tell me Seattle fans don't take notice of a Saprissa if they knock them out of two consecutive CCL's on national TV, for example. You are right though that MLS v LigaMX are always going to be the big draw, and they should get more matches in the CCL to build the tournament's presence. Unfortunately for Central America, it's about number of viewers, which is more about population than fervor.

Central America - 43 million, 12 qualifiers - 3.58 million people per qualifier
Mexico - 122 million, 4 qualifiers - 30.4 million people per qualifier
USA/Canada - 351 million people, 4 qualifiers - 87.75 people per qualifier

Rather than start a second tournament, we should expand the CCL to 32 teams (8x4), with roughly the following quotas:

USA/Canada - 12
Mexico - 8
Central America - 8
Caribbean - 4

Reactions: Z4CH3B99