MLS - September 29 - Chicago (Away)

where the hell are the vets?? Where's SJ, Chanot, Callens, Tinnerholm, Maxi, ITS, Heber even? Who's giving the Ray Lewis speech in the locker room telling the guys to get off their asses and play like the talented professionals they are? I feel like that was Ring in years past, and we don't have that any more.
I was thinking the same thing. We were really missing Ring tonight.

Reactions: moogoo
I’m on day 2 of a bikepacking and camping trip up the Empire Trail, currently at Minnewaska, hoping to make it all the way to Buffalo. I listened to radio broadcast on my phone in the tent which, though fun in a way that I haven’t experienced since childhood, was abysmal even without the visual. I think NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan mentioned he came home early from a wedding reception last match to catch the game. Glad I didn’t make any adjustments to my plans to accommodate this one.

Crooks mentioned on the broadcast that Ronny came out early from half time and speculated that he left the boys the last few minutes to sort things out. Well, if that was the case, neither Ronny nor they did—with that first Chicago goal coming within minutes. Sounded like Chanot was trying to spark the squad to recover after that but everyone walked away with their head down.

At any rate, I’m a little over 100mi into the 500mi trip and I’m already tired with heavy legs. I intend to sleep well tonight

This game was lost at the start.

The lineup was far too conservative for the opponent. Chicago is bad - regardless of tonight's result. The two goals were the result of two terrible defensive plays, not a lack of defense in the lineup. The game should have started with one defensive midfielder to put the Fire on the back foot.

Overall, a poor effort, but that poor effort was exacerbated bu that formation.

Also, fucking enough with Morales. He cannot progress the ball through the middle third and repeatedly makes terrible, often deflected passes.

There is a four way tie for 4th to seventh place all at 39 points. NYCFC could find itself in seventh with a loss to Nashville on Sunday.

going to be funny when NYCFC has the highest 538 ranking in the league and misses the playoffs.

Reactions: LionNYC and moogoo
I’m on day 2 of a bikepacking and camping trip up the Empire Trail, currently at Minnewaska, hoping to make it all the way to Buffalo. I listened to radio broadcast on my phone in the tent which, though fun in a way that I haven’t experienced since childhood, was abysmal even without the visual.
I caught a 8pm flight out of JFK for a weekend of soccer in England. Purchased overpriced wifi to follow the match. The things we do to follow this team.

Third back-to-back losses of the season.
20210929_223741.jpg
When was the last time NYCFC had three or more losing streaks in a season?

Tenth loss, with seven games to go. The last time NYCFC lost more than 10 games in a season?

Hint: Both the same season. Yes, THAT season.

London matches are Tottenham Europa Conference on Thursday, Wycombe League One -- hooked since improbable promotion playoff run in 2020 to get into Championship for a season -- on Saturday and Crystal Palace v Leicester on Sunday.

Edited: for clarity on types of losses.

ETA: Shwafta Shwafta Came across the form guide in a Sam Stejskal tweet earlier in the season. I thought mgarbowski mgarbowski had posted the link earlier.

Last edited:
One win in their last seven games.

one goal scored in the last 270 minutes against teams ranked 11th and 12th in the table.

can someone search RBA for the “not good enough” sign for Sunday’s game?

I’m on day 2 of a bikepacking and camping trip up the Empire Trail, currently at Minnewaska, hoping to make it all the way to Buffalo. I listened to radio broadcast on my phone in the tent which, though fun in a way that I haven’t experienced since childhood, was abysmal even without the visual. I think NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan mentioned he came home early from a wedding reception last match to catch the game. Glad I didn’t make any adjustments to my plans to accommodate this one.

Crooks mentioned on the broadcast that Ronny came out early from half time and speculated that he left the boys the last few minutes to sort things out. Well, if that was the case, neither Ronny nor they did—with that first Chicago goal coming within minutes. Sounded like Chanot was trying to spark the squad to recover after that but everyone walked away with their head down.

At any rate, I’m a little over 100mi into the 500mi trip and I’m already tired with heavy legs. I intend to sleep well tonight

This is very cool. I have been hoping to be able to do this some day ever since I heard about it.

Reactions: danger
I caught a 8pm flight out of JFK for a weekend of soccer in England. Purchased overpriced wifi to follow the match. The things we do to follow this team.

Third back-to-back losses of the season.
View attachment 11467
When was the last time NYCFC had three or more losing streaks in a season?

Tenth loss, with seven games to go. The last time NYCFC lost more than 10 games in a season?

Hint: Both the same season. Yes, THAT season.

London matches are Tottenham Europa Conference on Thursday, Wycombe League One -- hooked since improbable promotion playoff run in 2020 to get into Championship for a season -- on Saturday and Crystal Palace v Leicester on Sunday.

Edited: for clarity on types of losses.
Where did you find the form guide?

That sounds awesome! A close friend of mine was promoted today and I went out with a group. I don’t regret it. I love this team and support them but it’s hard to put things on hold for underwhelming performance and results.

This team looks so lost out there. Every player seems to have regressed, especially our veterans.

It's time for a change of manager.

Ronny needs to go next season, and I think it is even more important than I thought initially. We have a young roster with a ton of potential, 1-2 DP spots opening up with maxi probably gone and medina being potentially bought down. We need someone who can get the most of our young players so 1) we can play to the level we should be and make a mark on the season and postseason and 2) develop guys we can sell on to prove the youth model works. We have probably the best depth in the league (besides defence) and we can't let a so so manager ruin our style or get DPs that aren't going to deliver for that style. The players deserve better and don't needs to go.

Nay say me if you like, I think the minimum bar for Ronny is to make the playoffs. If we go out first round another year of dissatisfaction. But he stays next year and continues to build. If he falls below the playoff line, heads will roll. At this point I still think he is learning the league and continuity from a coach year over year is more important than finding a new coach who may be better. A new coach is gonna have his or her own slew of issues. Will they be better than Ronny? It’s a risk that some are willing to take.

This is very cool. I have been hoping to be able to do this some day ever since I heard about it.

Me too! You're riding a MTB I assume. I only have a hybrid. Also, my kids would have a seizure with no WiFi or Netflix

Nay say me if you like, I think the minimum bar for Ronny is to make the playoffs. If we go out first round another year of dissatisfaction. But he stays next year and continues to build. If he falls below the playoff line, heads will roll. At this point I still think he is learning the league and continuity from a coach year over year is more important than finding a new coach who may be better. A new coach is gonna have his or her own slew of issues. Will they be better than Ronny? It’s a risk that some are willing to take.

NYCFC conference finishes before Ronny (excluding first year with Kreis): 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 1st

NYCFC conference finishes under Ronny: 5th, 2021 TBD.

squeaking into the playoffs isn’t good enough.

Me too! You're riding a MTB I assume. I only have a hybrid. Also, my kids would have a seizure with no WiFi or Netflix
Gravel bike. So far I think hybrid would be fine. I have 37c tires on the gravel bike (I ride 25 on the road) and appreciate the extra width and comfort. Feel free to DM me in a couple weeks and I can give you a fuller report