New Enthusiast

Vallos

Registered
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 10, 2015
Section 205, Row 1
My name is Laurentino. I’m just your average sports fanatic that has enjoyed rooting for my teams for over 35 years. I was born in Manhattan, but raised in Miami during my formative years. Miami wasn’t a big sports town during the 70’s and early 80’s, so we only had the Miami Dolphins to cheer for. Because of that, football (sorry, I can’t ever call it American Football), has become my most cherished sport, and the Dolphins are the center of my sports universe. Baseball was my father’s sport and his love affair with the Yankees, influenced me to become a huge Yankee fan. After moving back to NYC in the early 90’s, I developed a fondness for the NY Knicks during the Pat Riley era. Hockey was also introduced during that time, especially when the Rangers won the Stanley Cup in ’94.

Coincidently, later that summer, I was finally exposed to soccer during the ’94 World Cup. Of course I knew what soccer was prior to that grand event, having played it casually during my early school years. Even though the NASL was present, with a team in the Miami area, there was no real exposure that steered me in that direction. None in my circle of family and friends were into the sport so I went largely uninterested until the World Cup came to the states. Being in NYC at the time, having the World Cup in the city created such fervor, that I literally could not go one day without someone mentioning the spectacle. It was my first real taste of soccer and I became a fan, albeit a casual one. I knew that in order to fully embrace soccer I would need to attend a live match and/or root for a hometown team, so when the announcement came that the MLS was being formed and New York would get a team, I was all set to go.

When it became known that the team would play in NJ, I was turned off and my hopes to get into the sport were dashed. I tried to get into the team when they changed their name to NY Red Bulls, and the swanky new soccer specific stadium, but I simply could not venture out of the city. I found it arduous, even though I was told it was a quick commute from mid-town, which it is. Thus, I hitched a ride onto the US national team and during the 2009 Confederation Cup (beating Spain) and the 2010 World Cup (winning our group for the first time since 1930), was when I began to finally appreciate this fine sport.

Still, though, I yearned for a local team to root for and when that day finally came… NYC FC… the fanatic in me went into overdrive. Here now was the opportunity to grow with a franchise from the beginning. I was afforded a unique perspective of being a founding member and own, for the first time in any sport… season tickets. As soon as NYCFC made it available to place deposits for season tickets, I did so. As soon as it was available to select my seats, I did so. I gobbled up all the news and notes of our new team. From helping choose the logo, to finally receiving the tickets, there has always been a sense of pride throughout the journey.

Finally attending my first ever match, and what a thrill that was. Witnessing the masterful performance of Villa and the exciting thrall of the crowd, it was a moment in my life that I will never forgot. There is still much that I have to learn being a new soccer enthusiast, from formations and positions, to being a spectator during matches, I’m here for the long haul. I am proud to be a NYCFC fan and I am proud to be a member of this forum!
Let’s go NYC FC!

15ehk4p.jpg

Last edited:
It's kinda cool to go back through some of the older threads and read through them. So much knowledge and information is shared within these threads.

Reactions: Vallos