Nickname?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue Bombers, Blue Yanks, Blue City, Blue Boros

I don't like City because if someone comes up to me and says did you watch the city game I think Man City. Maybe New City

If I also get asked about the NYC game im going to be so lost....Knicks, Rangers, Yanks, Mets, Islanders, etc
Errr, that's really easy tho: None of these teams are ever plainly called New York City or NYC. A game from the New York Knicks will always be called a 'Knicks game'. Likewise for the rest of the bunch. So there wouldn't be confusion if we refer to New York City Football Club simply as New York City or NYC, because nobody else does it.

Not at all. I thought Manchester was beautiful. In fact it's a backwards compliment because "City" in my mind means concrete, steel, noise, crowds, huge buildings, smog, etc. I'm just saying NYC is more of a stereotypical city than Manchester, which again I really like.

I've always assumed "City" would grow into the name used in day to day conversation, and how the team is referred to...

I'm not sure I love it..but it probably makes the most sense...

Reactions: Paul
"Blueskins" as kind of a joking reference to the whole "Redskins" debate going on. For that reason its probably better than any other variation of "blue related" nicknames.

I'm sure City will be used, but I've always been partial to the Tokens. A reference to our crest, and the old subway tokens in general.

I'm not sure how this suggestion will go over with everyone, but here goes anyway: the official New York State bird is the Eastern Bluebird, which has a light blue color on it's head & wings with an orange-ish chest.

So, how about the Bluebirds?

I'm not sure how this suggestion will go over with everyone, but here goes anyway: the official New York State bird is the Eastern Bluebird, which has a light blue color on it's head & wings with an orange-ish chest.

So, how about the Bluebirds?

Nice one! Could definitely get behind that!!

Eastern%20Bluebird%20Small.jpg

My guess it's going to be City. I don't think anyone will confused it with Man City. We're in NYC damn it!

Ok, so it's just "City" (like many NYers on the forum have stated, that's just what everyone calls NYC and have for YEARS and YEARS) and that's fine for a shortened version of the club's name. But how about a nickname for the club/fans along the lines of:

Real Madrid = Los Blancos, Bayern Munich = Die Bayern (The Bavarians), Juventus = the Old Lady, PSG = Les Parisiens (The Parisians), Manchester United = the Red Devils, Arsenal = the Gunners, Manchester City = the Citizens, Tottenham Hotspur = the Spurs, West Ham United = the Hammers, etc.

So far people have suggested: the Tokens, the Bluebirds, the Blues, the Blue ______ [insert anything here], the Amsterdamned, the Mankees, The [New] Yorkers, the Insomniacs, the Pentagons, the Yanks, the Concrete Citizens. I'm sure I have missed one or two (I've included as many as I could think of, even the ones that were suggested in a joking manner), so if I missed your favorite suggestion please reply so it's included. I don't mean to exclude any here, just trying to get a roundup of the suggested nicknames.

I just thought of another one as I was writing this post: the Emperors (as in the Empire State and the Evil Empire which seems to be how we are perceived by other teams/fans). Also, the Straphangers name has been offered by someone as an offshoot to the Third Rail (I cannot remember the precise suggestion, maybe a casual group of Third Railers?), but I think the Straphangers is such a good name that it could be used as the club's nickname.

There are a few that I think are pretty legitimate, including (but not limited to) the Tokens (for the subway token/NYCFC badge), the Straphangers, the Blues (although that is Chelsea's nickname, I still think it works because we are in MLS, not the EPL) and the Bluebirds (for the New York State bird: the Eastern Bluebird). Also, there is quite a lot of precedent for using birds: Newcastle United = the Magpies, Norwich City = the Canaries, Crystal Palace = the Eagles, Swansea City = the Swans. Many others that I wasn't able to think of as well, I'm sure.

Reactions: Trone
Status
Not open for further replies.