NYCFC Goal of the Year! Two Days Left to Vote in Round 1

Pick NYCFC's Goal of the Year for 2016 (choose up to 3)

• Tommy McNamara vs. Chicago - March 6

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Mix Diskerud vs. Chicago - March 6

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • David Villa vs. Vancouver - April 30

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • David Villa vs. Portland - May 15

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Tommy McNamara vs. Portland - May 15

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Kwadwo Poku vs. Toronto - May 18

• Frederick Brillant vs. Orlando - May 29

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • David Villa vs. Orlando - May 29

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • David Villa vs. Philadelphia - June 18

• Andrea Pirlo vs. Philadelphia - June 18

• Jack Harrison vs. New Jersey - July 3

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • David Villa vs. New Jersey - July 3

• Jack Harrison vs. Montreal - July 17

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Tommy McNamara vs. New Jersey - July 24

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • David Villa vs. Columbus - July 30

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Frank Lampard vs. DC United - September 1

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Khiry Shelton vs. Dallas - September 17

• Stiven Mendoza vs. Chicago - September 23

• David Villa vs. Chicago - September 23

• David Villa vs. Columbus - October 23

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gotham Gator

Registered
Donor
Feb 9, 2015
Bronxville, NY
Voting is now open in the Goal of the Year poll.

We are going to do this in two rounds.

In this, the first round, you can vote for up to 3 choices. The top 3, plus ties, will then go on to the second and final round.

VOTING FOR THE FIRST ROUND REMAINS OPEN FOR ONE WEEK - until Dec 7 at noon.

Below are YouTube videos with each of the nominees, in order. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: Schwallacus
Watching all of these, one thing I notice is that we don't really have even one good example of tight interplay in the box. Villa's first goal in 2015 was a slick little give and go with (hold it in now) Grabavoy.

This year had some great long passes (Pirlo, RJ), some terrific long shots (TMac), an unlikely angle (Poku), some brilliant skill (Villa, Jack).

But no great intricate passing.

Watching all of these, one thing I notice is that we don't really have even one good example of tight interplay in the box. Villa's first goal in 2015 was a slick little give and go with (hold it in now) Grabavoy.

This year had some great long passes (Pirlo, RJ), some terrific long shots (TMac), an unlikely angle (Poku), some brilliant skill (Villa, Jack).

But no great intricate passing.

I have 3 candidates. None of them made the list above, because the goal itself was not so amazing, but the passing that led to these was pretty sweet. All occurred at Yankee Stadium.
First up, Tommy McNamara against New England in March. Iraola and Tony Taylor do a give-and-go off a throw in, it goes Iraola-Taylor-Iraola-Taylor-Villa-crossbar-TMac. If Villa's volley goes in it would be a top candidate for GOTY above.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Next is I think our prettiest passing goal all year. Rj Allen's first MLS goal against Montreal in April. RJ has a give-and-go with Bravo (I'm as shocked as you are) at midfield. RJ then takes it up the right side, passes it to Khiry just outside the box. Khiry one touches it to TMac who in turn one touches it to RJ who never stopped his run and he one-times it into the net.

Reactions: Paul and JCMore
Finally in October against Columbus. Khiry on the right just outside again, passes it to Villa in the box, then to Lampard, and then to Harrison.

Finally in October against Columbus. Khiry on the right just outside again, passes it to Villa in the box, then to Lampard, and then to Harrison.
The RJ goal was terrific (though the video isn't working here). The other two had intricate passing but both goals came off of blocked shots that luckily deflected to an NYCFC player. I'm being greedy here, but I hope in 2017 we have myriad goals that really show off the beautiful game.

No love for Mix against Chicago. That's basically the same as the Villa goal against Vancouver, except it wasn't off a set piece.
... or airborne and with his entire body parallel to the earth. I think style counts for a lot in this contest.

Still, I agree it deserves one vote. But mine are taken.

Reactions: Paul
The RJ goal was terrific (though the video isn't working here). The other two had intricate passing but both goals came off of blocked shots that luckily deflected to an NYCFC player. I'm being greedy here, but I hope in 2017 we have myriad goals that really show off the beautiful game.
The RJ goal video is from the MLS account, while all the others are from NYCFC. I had trouble finding the NYCFC version of the RJ goal. And it appears NYC and MLS have different permissions set for video embedding.

Reactions: FootyLovin