Nycfc-red Bulls Derby: Adding To The Metro-area Tradition Of Rivalries!

JCizzle

Registered
Nov 18, 2014
So we have the following local rivalries either in terms of on field action or mostly debate between fans:

Yankees-Mets
Knicks-Nets
Devils-Rangers
Islanders-Rangers
Giants-Jets

Soccer rivalry, best know as a 'dar-bee' in England, could trump them all at least from a yearly head to head perspective.

Being a Jersey guy I will love to wear NYCFC gear in Red Bulls stadium and cheer the Big Apple Sky Blues on!

Reactions: PatrickRivera
As a rangers fan, with a cousin who is a die-hard devils fan I have enjoyed many a rivalry game, scuffle, and bar-fight. Here's to another rivalry!

Just watching the ECF game yesterday got me more excited for a great rivalry with a great atmosphere. Will definitely be marking those games on my calendar.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
As a rangers fan, with a cousin who is a die-hard devils fan I have enjoyed many a rivalry game, scuffle, and bar-fight. Here's to another rivalry!
I'm a Devils fan myself and have enjoyed the same with Ranger fan friends! Plus as a Yankee fan, it's always 'on' when it comes to the Mets!

Soccer rivalry, best know as a 'dar-bee' in England, could trump them all at least from a yearly head to head perspective.

Just to be clear, a rivalry is still known as a rivalry in England. A derby is a game between two rivals, such as the Merseyside Derby between Everton and Liverpool. And 'dar-bee' is just a pronunciation of the word derby used in some parts of England.

That said I'm very much looking forward to the Hudson Derby (pronounced der-bee, because that's how I say the word usually).

Exactly, I was just spelling it out how it's pronounced from some English folk I've heard. I would say derby like in the horse race Kentucky Derby. Correct, derby as in rivals especially in the same town or region.

Should be awesome.

Just to be clear, a rivalry is still known as a rivalry in England. A derby is a game between two rivals, such as the Merseyside Derby between Everton and Liverpool. And 'dar-bee' is just a pronunciation of the word derby used in some parts of England.

That said I'm very much looking forward to the Hudson Derby (pronounced der-bee, because that's how I say the word usually).

Just to be clearer, a derby in the UK is a match between two geographical rivals, either in the same town or city as each other or very close by. No-one here, for example, would refer to a game between Man Utd and Liverpool as a derby, even though they are only 30 miles apart, because the rivalry was formed through competition, not because they are near each other. Exceptions are made for clubs without a nearby rival at the same level, hence why Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesbrough's are derby rivals despite each being the only professional club in their city. The three cities are nearby to each other, so they are automatic geographical rivals.

The caveat to this is that if you are based nearby another club you are deemed rivals regardless of past history or dispute between clubs. If, by some small chance, a non-league London team in the 10th tier of the league pyramid were to get far enough in the FA Cup to play Chelsea then it would be yrunpted in the media as a derby.

This, for the record, is why with no prior justification I have always been quick to throw insults towards NYRB and the Cosmos (especially back in the earlier days of the forum, for those of you who were around to remember that) and yet have never once talked about the Revs or the Union as potential rivals. In the English system, they are simply not close enough to be considered rivals.

In American you have the geographic rival, same division, or a manufactured rival due to some epic playoff series or games, etc. It's going to be so much fun picking on Henry and his excessively short-short Daisy Dukes!

The Mets and the Yankees are not rivals. They do not play in the same league, and besides interleague games, which are rare and in my view unnecessary, they do not play each other regularly enough to develop a real rivalry. RBNY-NYCFC will be a real derby, and I hope it develops into a real rivalry. As a Jersey guy, and a long time gooner, it's going to be fun having a club other than DC to root against.
Two questions for you guys: besides us (RBNY), who do you think you'll develop a rivalry with? The Revs? Union? DC? Also, when are you guys going to get a proper New York strip? Your sky blue is as embarrassing as our soft drink advert.

The Mets and the Yankees are not rivals. They do not play in the same league, and besides interleague games, which are rare and in my view unnecessary, they do not play each other regularly enough to develop a real rivalry. RBNY-NYCFC will be a real derby, and I hope it develops into a real rivalry. As a Jersey guy, and a long time gooner, it's going to be fun having a club other than DC to root against.
Two questions for you guys: besides us (RBNY), who do you think you'll develop a rivalry with? The Revs? Union? DC? Also, when are you guys going to get a proper New York strip? Your sky blue is as embarrassing as our soft drink advert.
They could have copied the Man City unis down to the badge and the names on the back, and it still wouldn't be as embarrassing as the energy drink picture on your kits. Red Bull gives you wingssssss!

Granted that RBNY' kit is horrendous, and so is RB Leipzig's. But if Melbourne City has a strip that is not a copy of Man City's, then why should New York, a city second to none in anything, not have its own? I'm sure you guys have to be pushing for this.

.......besides us (RBNY), who do you think you'll develop a rivalry with? The Revs? Union? DC? .
That sounds about right. They're all cities that have had rivalries with NY teams in the other sports for generations, so no reason to believe it won't continue.

I'd say that's about it for now, because I can't see anybody get worked up over any other MLS side as it stands now.......no matter how many cringe worthy and pathetic attempts those Mickey Mouse fans in Florida try at manufacturing one.

As stated in my original post, rival can be on the field or between fans more. Being a Yankee fan here, we are always in debate with Mets fans. That's all to that.

cant really call it a subway series, because theres no subways in NJ and its not a series, so i guess either the Hudson Derby or the New York Derby or the City Derby

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins