Nycfc-red Bulls Derby: Adding To The Metro-area Tradition Of Rivalries!

It is simply the Hudson derby or NY / NJ derby.
Why do we have to use Derby isn't that only a English thing? I haven't heard of any other MLS team or there fans use it. I know of the Cascadia cup and some other rivalries call cups.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
Why do we have to use Derby isn't that only a English thing? I haven't heard of any other MLS team or there fans use it. I know of the Cascadia cup and some other rivalries call cups.

The word originates from England, yes, but a quick check of Wikipedia assures me that it's used in every continent of the world and has been absorbed into virtually every major language of the world. It's really only the US and Spain that I can see that don't use "derby". I will grant that it does appear to be a soccer-specific term outside of Europe, though.

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders
The word originates from England, yes, but a quick check of Wikipedia assures me that it's used in every continent of the world and has been absorbed into virtually every major language of the world. It's really only the US and Spain that I can see that don't use "derby". I will grant that it does appear to be a soccer-specific term outside of Europe, though.
I see. Yeah I see in Spanish they use cup for everything except el classico. If anything this would be the Hudson Cup or the Turnpike cup ( for people not in the area, the turnpike is the most popular way to get form New York to New Jersey aside for the GWB) or use the word rivalry.

I just took a closer look at the Spanish wiki. They do in fact use the word derby too (well, "derbi"). They tend to use "clasico" for more major rivalries, though, and "rivalidade" for, presumably, less geographical rivalries.

Doesn't the Cascadia Cup refer to more than just a single rivalry game? It's a whole tournament type setup with multiple teams, complete with, you know... a cup.

The Cascadia Cup is the rivalry between the teams in the pacific northwest the Sounders, Timbers and Whitecaps. The winner each year get a cup.

Hudson River Derby, Metro Derby. Empire Derby if they bounce RB from NJ into the state of NY somehow. Either way, it should have a name of some sorts.

Didn't feel like looking for the their thread but look on twitter and you'll see why I hope the green team folds into oblivion.

About time someone came up with a more modernised term it has too much of an "old fashioned" ring to it. Sounds like a word out of the 1950's. Yes that word is used in some forms of American culture but why should MLS use it? I have a dislike of certain words (which may come across as seemingly for no apparent reason) hence getting "banter zone" changed to "warzone" which of course didn't last long under that name.

About time someone came up with a more modernised term it has too much of an "old fashioned" ring to it. Sounds like a word out of the 1950's. Yes that word is used in some forms of American culture but why should MLS use it? I have a dislike of certain words (which may come across as seemingly for no apparent reason) hence getting "banter zone" changed to "warzone" which of course didn't last long under that name.

Top banter m8

Well I might be in a minority for "derby" but I'm certainly far from the only one who finds the word "banter" irritating. Just type banter and annoying word into google and there certainly are results...

Reactions: Section1Guy