NYCFC v Chicago Postmatch

We came into the match with an identical record to the Chicago Fire.
We left the match with an identical record to the Chicago Fire.

I saw a lot of missed passing opportunities (TMac wide, wide open in dangerous attacking territory totally ignored, for just one example), and was dismayed at how reluctant our boys were to just take some goddamned shots.

That said, the Fire keeper made some excellent saves. Fire had 0 shots on target, we had 8. The Fire keeper personally kept us from walking away with that match, really.

Can't believe how long it took for the final sub to come in. My whole row was screaming for our boys to put the ball out of play once Poku stepped up to the line just so we could get him on the field for *five whole minutes*. Weird to leave our third sub that late. Can't really figure it out.

But most importantly I picked up a Mix lid on my way out of the stadium.

I'm not saying he is the problem....but fucking hustle for plays...and waiting for the ball to get to you is not "setting yourself up for a good touch"....mostly talking of some of the mid field touches....especially when the ball gets taken away or intercepted right in front of him.....you don't have to score but not hustling will keep that over rated tag on you for a longer time
There is no way you watched this match and thought he wasn't hustling. I reject that premise. I can't think of a single example.

There is no way you watched this match and thought he wasn't hustling. I reject that premise. I can't think of a single example.

Twice this happened (that I remember) and everyone around me was saying same thing while we were there in his

Granted this mentality of waiting for the ball rather than going for it is something that all nycfc players seem to have been affected by it but still to me those two times stood out.

Again, this can be because of the small field and the bodies are are bunched together but damn just looked bad.

Some thoughts from tonight's game, putting aside the fact that I just sat in the freezing cold to watch that slop:

• A clean sheet! Wooooo! While chalk a part of that up to ineptitude by the Fire, the team did a better job of clogging the middle then when they last played Chicago. Chicago's passing was crisp but they still couldn't get it quickly through the midfield.
  • Speaking of crisp passing, NYCFC couldn't seem to connect 3 passes tonight. Also, there were a ton of passes right to the Fire.
  • The team needs more speed of thought in getting the ball up the field, for the love of...stop the back passes. And the few times that they did counter, individual errors.
  • Talking about slow speed of play, they are continually trying to play in the middle and dribble through a crowd of players. Does no one know how to make a run or hit a through ball?
  • Also, can people stop looking for the perfect shot? Stop trying to be Arsenal, passing the ball into the net.
  • Still 0 set piece goals for NYCFC this year. Set pieces win football matches (and came really close to winning this one for the Fire).
Individual players:
  • Saunders still can't distribute worth a damn or command his 6. There were several occasions where he punched out the ball wildly. If he is going to play a major role in PV's system (and they damn want to control possession and play out of the back), he is a liability there.
  • Matarrita is a boss - in fact I would say he's the teams best player. He is so solid in the back and locks down his side. He makes it look effortless.
  • Iraola is still invisible.
  • Pirlo did not have a great game, his passes seem just a bit off, like they are just hoping balls ahead to no one and/or they are a tad too slow and the other team reads them. Hope this is not the beginning of a trend.
  • Tommy Mac had a touch of stone tonight. Not the best.
  • Now I can see why Corinthians gave up on Mendoza, he is fast but has little soccer brain. He is where attacks go to die. I remember the 3 on 3 with Villa where he could have taken it to goal and instead cut it back. Aarrggh.
  • Villa should have taken that second touch around the keeper.
  • Brilliant seemed strong in the back but stepped way into midfield. Could have been caught out.
  • Mix was all over the field and not in a good way. A few nice touches.
Non-game related stuff:
  • It was a funeral home in there tonight. What a shitty time for a game and the weather didn't help. The beer vendors were literally all over my section getting desperate.
  • The guy from Hamilton who sung the anthem - hope he can rap better than he can sing. Uuuufff.
  • Section 205 - the Chicken Bucket chant came all the way across the field. Well done.

Twice this happened (that I remember) and everyone around me was saying same thing while we were there in his

Granted this mentality of waiting for the ball rather than going for it is something that all nycfc players seem to have been affected by it but still to me those two times stood out.

Again, this can be because of the small field and the bodies are are bunched together but damn just looked bad.
Mix was absolutely all over the place hustling. Sorry, but if you keyed in on whatever two plays you're referring to, then you missed everything else he did. His outlet passes on the counter to the opposite wing were amazing and he made tons of great runs into the box and was rewarded with balls behind him and too far in front. The guy balled out once again.

Giving David and Mix good marks for their efforts. My Andrea Well his children are likely back in Italy at school so he's low. It sure's interesting that the game didn't change much when the subbed him!! Must Be Nice for all you People with The Yes Network i will be forced not to see the next games cause i live in Hartford Ct! Those in Power are of The Belief that there's not one Yankee fan in the State! NYFC FOR GOD SAKE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!!

Why is it so stinkingly impossible for an MLS ref to actually call a decent game. WTF ?!? Do they not know what a card is for? If a superstar player repeatedly embarrasses another by playing with the ball but then is fouled, that's a yellow. It was right in front of Geiger's face. And then there were the calls that left Mata on the ground that somehow didn't warrant a yellow??? His no-calls were so blatantly bad it was just sad to watch. His only saving grace was actually consulting the linesman on the hand-ball no-goal by Chicago.

Mix was absolutely all over the place hustling. Sorry, but if you keyed in on whatever two plays you're referring to, then you missed everything else he did. His outlet passes on the counter to the opposite wing were amazing and he made tons of great runs into the box and was rewarded with balls behind him and too far in front. The guy balled out once again.

Offensively was great but again There were times he got beat in midfield ( not including the times he got hammered by the Chicago player) he wouldn't go for it and got beat in midfield. And few shots he didn't take ( but that was the whole team really)

Look he is not the problem but still lots is expected from him as being a NT player and that salary

White got hurt during warm-ups and was replaced by brillant.

Chicago goal was disallowed not because the goal scorer was offsite but another player who impacted the play of a defender.

I thought our offense sucked with Villa on the left. He just doesn't have the speed anymore to beat defenders the way we need our wingers to beat defenders. Offense looked so much better with Tony Taylor on the wing and villa central. Lot of people have an infatuation with mullins. Love the guy off the bench but no way he is a starting caliber player.

Brillant and hernandez looked pretty solid.

Mendoza was garbage. Zero chemistry.

Offensively was great but again There were times he got beat in midfield ( not including the times he got hammered by the Chicago player) he wouldn't go for it and got beat in midfield. And few shots he didn't take ( but that was the whole team really)

Look he is not the problem but still lots is expected from him as being a NT player and that salary
You can't condemn Mix for being beat in the midfield when the team has a shutout. Wtf?!? There were zero shots on goal for Chicago, so collectively they all did their jobs on Defense, and as you admit Mix was fine on offense.

Normally I'd say blame Villa because he took a zillion shots and didn't score and he has a much bigger pedigree than Mix does, but let's face it, the Chicago keeper had a career game tonight with the number of uncanny saves he made.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC and Paul
White got hurt during warm-ups and was replaced by brillant.

Chicago goal was disallowed not because the goal scorer was offsite but another player who impacted the play of a defender.

I thought our offense sucked with Villa on the left. He just doesn't have the speed anymore to beat defenders the way we need our wingers to beat defenders. Offense looked so much better with Tony Taylor on the wing and villa central. Lot of people have an infatuation with mullins. Love the guy off the bench but no way he is a starting caliber player.

Brillant and hernandez looked pretty solid.

Mendoza was garbage. Zero chemistry.
Pretty sure the goal was disallowed because of a handball bring it down.

Sheesh.
Saunders with a back pass looks about as comfortable as a kangaroo in a minefield. We need another keeper option.

We don't shoot enough. So many opportunities but we opted for the extra touch or pass rather than the shot.

There were points of cohesion but I think (no doubt controversially) that Lampard may be able to give some stickiness to the midfield. Building for on the back is not going to work if nobody is holding it up and helping Pirlo.

It was freaking cold of tonight. On the train now and looking forward to a warming dram when I get home.

Out.

You are 100% correct. Lampard might be able to "give some stickiness" to the midfield.
BUT THE FUCKING WIMP NEVER PLAYS. replace this shitbag NOW.
I shaved my balls and froze my ass for what should have been an easy3 points and your talking about Lampard???

They came back to the no- goal quite a few times in replays and eventually the announcers did in fact say that it was off the chest of the goal scorer who was off sides. It took them three or four separate times plus different angles to see it.

You can't condemn Mix for being beat in the midfield when the team has a shutout. Wtf?!? There were zero shots on goal for Chicago, so collectively they all did their jobs on Defense, and as you admit Mix was fine on offense.

Normally I'd say blame Villa because he took a zillion shots and didn't score and he has a much bigger pedigree than Mix does, but let's face it, the Chicago keeper had a career game tonight with the number of uncanny saves he made.

Perhaps but Chicago is not a good team and without accam team is worse there was no true test defensively that's why the zero shots on goal. Maybe I'm being harsh on his defensive midfield abilities but he has to go back with Pirlo starting

Chicago's GK had the game of his life there two huge saves from villa shots and one more can't remember who shot it

I shaved my balls

bubbles2.gif

So, what was the 'video on the internet' that got Khiry and Mikey Lopez suspended for this game? I saw a Khiry snap chat on his way in the car earlier but didn't really pay attention to what they were singing

Reactions: Paul
PV's training drills all this week shiuld be to practice shooting and hitting the ball first time in the box. So many unneccesary touches or attempt to control the ball and take a few extra turns to lay it off to someone else. They looked scared to take a shot

As sad as it is to say I actually found myself wishing fat frank was there just so someone would take a crack from the edge of the box