NYCFC v Chicago Postmatch

We are leading the MLS in shots per game and shots on goal per game. I don't think we have had a game with less than 57% possession and we have less of the 'ping the ball around the back without accomplishing anything' type of possession than we had last year. The results aren't in line with the quality on the field.

We are leading the MLS in shots per game and shots on goal per game. I don't think we have had a game with less than 57% possession and we have less of the 'ping the ball around the back without accomplishing anything' type of possession than we had last year. The results aren't in line with the quality on the field.

So what's missing?

I see an offense with a bunch of guards standing around the three-point line waiting for something to happen. I want someone in the post that can dunk. Only fit on our roster right now is Poku.

One mark of consistency from our first 5 games seems to be that our results don't match our play.

PREACH!

This is why it's so frustrating. We are clearly a MUCH better team than last year... playing to the same results. That non-shot by TMac late in the game was just soul crushing. There was NO REASON to two touch that f***ing ball! You smash that with everything you got on the first touch.

Such a disheartening result made worse by the abysmal weather.

It's amazing how many keepers have had career days against us with highlight reel saves.

Yes with a partial "but." Teams are letting us have possession, and letting us shoot, because it's working for them. If they fought for possession our numbers on those stats would not be so impressive. What I can't decide is how much of our failure to finish more than once in 3.75 games is bad luck and how much is bad play.

What did you have a problem with specifically. I didn't think it was terrible. If anything I thought Mata should have been sent off.

I think my problem was consistency. The glaring one I remember was Mata got taken out, no foul. A very similar foul happens down the field on a Chicago player, yellow card. There weren't any game changing mistakes to really stew over. It can be fun to play the homer piling on the ref in the stadium, but overall I didn't think it was too bad given some of the strict calls we've seen lately.

The first half was just flat out bad. The second half got progressively better, especially as the substitutions were made.

The lineup was puzzling. Bravo (or a player like him) really needs to be in there to allow Pirlo to work, and I don't know how this should be a surprise at this point. It's not a crack on Pirlo, but his game has never been about putting in a defensive shift. The link between midfield and defense ostensibly should have gone through him, however without any other real distributive outlet (Saunders isn't going to long ball accurately to a forward) it was easy for Chicago to put pressure on him as Tommy Mac and Mix were further upfield. And when he had to break up Chicago's plays, he had no one to funnel the ball to start recycling possession. He resorted to Hollywood balls up to Mullins, who wasn't able to do much of anything all evening. This also led to a lot of passing along the back and some very uncomfortable moments with Saunders having the ball at his feet. A lot of the defensive hustle in midfield I felt was wasted, chicken-with-its-head-cut-off harrying rather than efficient reading of the game and blocking passing lanes. I thought when Bravo came on he did a good job of providing this cover.

Mendoza is turning into what I thought he'd be -- a lot of motor and not much else. It's exciting when he turns on the jets in space, but in a game when those moments are few and far between he either has to beat his man or get involved in build up play. Part of this, in his defense, is that he and Villa were so wide they were basically hugging the touchline (I'm assuming this was by instruction to try and stretch the field as much as possible) and Mullins had difficulty providing any viable holdup play to feed them.

I also thought Brillant had a pretty poor game. Yes, he won some arial battles, but he was also a part of some mind boggling giveaways. Lingered on the ball too much a few times and almost got caught out. This was more an issue in the first half than the second.

The WM formation had its faults, but I think it provides more balance with the personnel available than a 4-3-3 with a midfield of TMac, Mix, and Pirlo.

On a side note, I'm kind of starting to roll my eyes at the Poku and chicken bucket chants (except for the lady on the screen with one, that was hilarious).

Reactions: gbservis
Yes with a partial "but." Teams are letting us have possession, and letting us shoot, because it's working for them. If they fought for possession our numbers on those stats would not be so impressive. What I can't decide is how much of our failure to finish more than once in 3.75 games is bad luck and how much is bad play.
Look at how many ridiculous saves the keepers are making... At times they remind me of Kasey Keller against Brasil.... There was no logical way he should have blanked them and there's no logical reason why so many well-taken shots by us have been parried.

Look at how many ridiculous saves the keepers are making... At times they remind me of Kasey Keller against Brasil.... There was no logical way he should have blanked them and there's no logical reason why so many well-taken shots by us have been parried.
I thought Lampson had great positioning. Even on Villa's free kick where he had to stretch it was because he set himself as far from the post as he could and still cover that corner of the net.

Reactions: Paul and JayH
I thought Lampson had great positioning. Even on Villa's free kick where he had to stretch it was because he set himself as far from the post as he could and still cover that corner of the net.
He did, but Villa had two crackers on the opposite side that Lampson slid out of nowhere, and behind a maze of people, to save.

I also thought Brillant had a pretty poor game.
I must respectfully disagree. I thought this was Brilliant's best match for us since he joined the team.

Whoscored? seems to agree with me, as they gave Brilliant the MOTM with an 8.3 rating, and since my opinion was confirmed by an outside source I'm obviously right.

Another frustrating game. I do feel that we are playing a lot better than last season, but the results aren't there.

Players
Mix - solid tonight; not as strong as previous games, but still one of our best players. His effort is there, and his technical skill is top notch. Some of his passes were a bit off (same with the rest of the team).

Villa - hit some shots that should have gone in the net; hit some others that were way off target. I would like to see him distribute more - particularly when he is playing on the wing.

Mendoza - did some things well and some poorly. Passed up a good shot attempt in the box for a pass that was intercepted. Made a great long pass to Villa that almost led to a goal. Otherwise, gave up possession a bit too much and didn't seem in sync.

Pirlo - they managed to keep him quiet. He puts in the effort on defense, but doesn't have enough range to cover the back by himself. Still, it's worth noting that we maintained not only a clean sheet, but allowed no shots on goal with Pirlo by himself as a defensive mid.

Mullins - not sure this offense does better with him up top, although he did have one of our best chances in the first half.

Poku - should have been on earlier, and I would have put him in for TMac instead of Mix simply because TMac looked gassed. I'd like to see Kwadwe start on the right wing. I thought he had some nice runs at the defense from that side in his limited time on the field.

TMac - not his best game, but still great effort.

Matarrita - the 4-3-3 really allowed him to press forward more than usual, and he put in his typically great shift. Should have drawn a dangerous free kick and a yellow. Needs to keep his cool, as he easily could have gotten sent off with two yellows not long after.

Iraola - I like what I am seeing from him a lot more this year. Defended capably and moved forward well. No, he's not an energy robot like Mata, but he's also not 21.

Brillant - Better from him but still need more. I like him in the air. But there were still mistakes. Letting Gilberto draw a foul right outside the box was a dumb move, and he still struggled a bit with distribution.

Hernandez - A solid game. Cleaned up some problems and did a good job distributing out of the back, including up near midfield a couple of times.

Saunders - Not much to say. Distribution not great, but there were a couple of times he sent one out that led to a dangerous run by us. Wasn't really tested.

Officiating
WTF is up with Geiger? This wasn't as bad as some games, but he totally missed the tackle on Mata, and he let a lot of tough fouls go.

The Chicago goal was offside, and that's true whether or not the ball glanced off Kappelhof's chest. He was offside, in a position to play the ball and attempting to play the ball. The rule is clear. Friedel sounded almost ridiculous not understanding that.

If Chicago has anything to complain about, it's that Mata didn't get a second yellow for his reckless aerial challenge.

Overall
We outplayed them, but didn't get the result, which is becoming too much of a theme. Some of this was great goalkeeping. Some was poor shooting. Mostly, we were able to establish possession in their half, but not keep it long enough to generate a good chance. Chicago did a great job stepping in front of our players to grab passes and then launching the break. It is to our credit that none of those breaks led to good chances, especially given that we went most of the game with Pirlo the only defensive mid.

4 home games against (mostly) bad teams, and we have 3 points to show.

We played Orlando without Kaka and lost, New England who was a man down and tied, and Chicago without Accam and tied. That's not good enough.

We've probably dropped 4-6 points from where we should be at this point, and are going to have to make that up against better teams. We need to raise our game.

Mendoza is turning into what I thought he'd be -- a lot of motor and not much else. It's exciting when he turns on the jets in space, but in a game when those moments are few and far between he either has to beat his man or get involved in build up play. Part of this, in his defense, is that he and Villa were so wide they were basically hugging the touchline (I'm assuming this was by instruction to try and stretch the field as much as possible)

I think PV is having the wingers play as wide as possible to try and stretch the defenders and unclog the box. The issue is our home field is missing FIFTEEN FUCKING FEET of width. Get us the hell out of here, CFG!

The WM formation had its faults, but I think it provides more balance with the personnel available than a 4-3-3 with a midfield of TMac, Mix, and Pirlo.

I totally agree. I think WM is our best formation with our roster. Sure Chicago didn't get a shot on goal, but I think that's better attributed to their parking the bus than our 4 man back line. Pauno's goal was to reduce goals conceded, and he has clearly done that the last few games. I think Mata is going to have an impact whether he's playing leftback or left cb in a 3 man line. What changes is we control the midfield much better when Pirlo has a bodyguard like Bravo, and might have succeeded in opening up that brick wall they put up towards the end. Once Bravo was subbed on they got nowhere with their possession and we started bombarding them with shots.

This is kind of funny. If you look at our average player position chart,
j4XO8M0.jpg

we were basically playing a super old school, pre-WM 2-3-5 like it's 1924 again.

This is kind of funny. If you look at our average player position chart,
j4XO8M0.jpg

we were basically playing a super old school, pre-WM 2-3-5 like it's 1924 again.
Or like we're a 2016 Pep Guardiola Bayern Munich team.

Reactions: Keith Putnam
The most painful sequence I remember was one of the rare times we had numbers going forward. Villa had the ball with space in the middle. Mendoza was ahead and to his right. Inexplicably he started veering in to the center instead of staying out wide. He basically cut off Villa and brought more defenders with him. It totally clogged up the middle and we didn't even get a shot off.

Ugh.