NYCFC v Chicago Postmatch

I think he was trying to chip him and just mishit it.
May have been, but it was still way wide. He and the keeper were lined up in my sight line (if Villa wasn't so small, I wouldn't have seen the keeper) and the goal was to the deft of them. The ball wasn't landing anywhere near it if the keeper hadn't of gotten his hands on it.

I think he was trying to chip him and just mishit it.
If you watch the condensed match, they have a nice second angle of the shot from right behind Villa looking at the near post. After he hits it, it's going far to the right of the near post, and Lampson actually has to reach to his left to deflect it, though he took a great angle on Villa, if he doesn't touch it, it's well, well wide. A touch to the endline and he might break free for a cross or collide with Lampson; a cut behind his left leg could have had the defender and the keeper going the wrong way. The shot was probably his worst option. But strikers gonna strike.

If you watch the condensed match, they have a nice second angle of the shot from right behind Villa looking at the near post. After he hits it, it's going far to the right of the near post, and Lampson actually has to reach to his left to deflect it, though he took a great angle on Villa, if he doesn't touch it, it's well, well wide. A touch to the endline and he might break free for a cross or collide with Lampson; a cut behind his left leg could have had the defender and the keeper going the wrong way. The shot was probably his worst option. But strikers gonna strike.
This goes to the point I've been making that we are actually playing a fair amount of decent footy. We just aren't finishing. And if we are going to praise Villa when he is finishing, we have to expect more when he isn't. Two goals in 5 games isn't bad, but it isn't great either - on track for 13 - especially since one of them was from the spot. Villa's supposed to be our stone cold finisher. That was just one example of a chance he should have finished. If Shelton or Mendoza had done the same we would be all over them for horrible decision making.

Also at last night's game was Lonn Trust. Yes, that Lonn Trust. The Yankees COO who hates StubHub and poorer people sitting in premium seating locations and was made the butt of John Oliver's joke. He wore his Yankee rings as always and went onto the field pregame with two younger individuals, I'm guessing from his family. Unlike all the other NYCFC important people like Claudio and Petricof, Lonn & Co actually walked onto the field during warms up, inside the lines. Everyone else is usually in foul territory.

But, the most ridiculous thing was during the game when I was by the pitch side seats, they came over to walk over to the benches. After they were done, to get back to the tunnel on the other side of the field (third base dugout), they walked around the field on the warning track, all the way around. I was hoping that a ball was land in his side on the sideline. I've never seen anyone ever do this during a game except for NYCFC medical/equipment staff needing to get to the locker room to get something.

It's not surprising though that Lonn would choose not to talk on the concourse with the rest of the NYCFC fans (who probably wouldn't even recognize him). Lonn doesn't want to walk on the concourse where real Yankee fans are, just like the ones he wants to keep from the premium locations. (That being said, I'm a real Yankee fan and sit in premium locations, just used this line for the joke.)

Go StubHub and Legends ticket below TicketMaster artificial market floors!
Have you seen Lonn there before?

Can we talk about the fact that Villa has been average this year? For all the crap that Pirlo gets here, he's played very well as a two-way midfielder this season.

Villa hasn't
I don't see why that should be off the table. I think I said as much above. 2 goals in 5 games, only 1 from the run of play. That means TMac is outproducing him with 2 goals from the run of play (even more so when you consider Villa's PK was drawn by TMac). I assume (hope) that this is a normal slump. I can't imagine the cold weather helps any. But I am also among those wanting to see him gain better form quickly.

This goes to the point I've been making that we are actually playing a fair amount of decent footy. We just aren't finishing. And if we are going to praise Villa when he is finishing, we have to expect more when he isn't. Two goals in 5 games isn't bad, but it isn't great either - on track for 13 - especially since one of them was from the spot. Villa's supposed to be our stone cold finisher. That was just one example of a chance he should have finished. If Shelton or Mendoza had done the same we would be all over them for horrible decision making.
I've said it before when I've slammed Villa for pouting - his goal scoring in MLS is average at best for a guy of his pedigree. Take away his PK's (7 of 18 total) last year and he really was average with only 11 goals from the run of play and free kicks. I feel like he scored at least 2-3 from free kicks, so that means he only got 8-9 from the run of play - that's not great over the course of the season.

I truly hope he's only in a slump and lights it up soon, otherwise he's not providing the necessary return on investment.

I don't see why that should be off the table. I think I said as much above. 2 goals in 5 games, only 1 from the run of play. That means TMac is outproducing him with 2 goals from the run of play (even more so when you consider Villa's PK was drawn by TMac). I assume (hope) that this is a normal slump. I can't imagine the cold weather helps any. But I am also among those wanting to see him gain better form quickly.

He has still been creating well, and putting himself into good positions, but his shot selection is really off. It seems he is either way off target, or shooting it right at the goalie.

I don't think he has been playing badly, but he is David Villa, so I have higher expectations.

So if the offense sputtering because he isn't clicking, or is he not clicking because the offense is sputtering?

Reactions: Kjbert
He has still been creating well, and putting himself into good positions, but his shot selection is really off. It seems he is either way off target, or shooting it right at the goalie.

I don't think he has been playing badly, but he is David Villa, so I have higher expectations.

So if the offense sputtering because he isn't clicking, or is he not clicking because the offense is sputtering?
Villa has had great looks/shots every game. I don't think it's a question of the offense not getting him in position to capitalize.

If he wasn't getting the shots, then it could be argued the offense is sputtering (ie. his teammates aren't supporting him properly), but he is so it isn't.

May have been, but it was still way wide. He and the keeper were lined up in my sight line (if Villa wasn't so small, I wouldn't have seen the keeper) and the goal was to the deft of them. The ball wasn't landing anywhere near it if the keeper hadn't of gotten his hands on it.

Clearly it was off line. To try a chip from that position, he would have had to both get under the ball, and carry it to his left. I think he got more toe than foot on it, and so it didn't carry as high or go as far to the left and wound up low and right.

I think a chip was the right call there with two defenders on his heels and the goal keeper charging. If he had cut the ball around the keeper, he could have ended up with a defender catching up and clearing.

Overall, I think Villa was terrific last year. Any shortage of production came from playing on a poor team with a lack of good service. This year, I think his finishing has been off so far. You aren't going to knock them all in, but he needs to have buried a couple more of the good chances he's had - perhaps including the one discussed.

13000302_578842925622501_31350716236621987_n.jpg

Villa looks like he is pressing.

He is finishing as well as Shelton did last year.

I can't remember. Really didn't have a reason to look for him until the John Oliver segment.
Let me know if you see him at any other game. I have a sneaking suspicion he wasn't there to watch the game.

Let me know if you see him at any other game. I have a sneaking suspicion he wasn't there to watch the game.
He picked a hell of a game to attend since it isn't an apt reflection of our normal attendance. Then again, the Yankees' stated attendance was a lot higher Wednesday than those that showed up (so said my buddy in a suite - said the place was empty).

Can we talk about the fact that Villa has been average this year? For all the crap that Pirlo gets here, he's played very well as a two-way midfielder this season.

Villa hasn't

Pirlo clearly is not used to losing. He has figured out the league and is much more physical this year. I think I saw that he led the league in passes through the first 4 games. Much of that I think has to do with guys not seeing anything and giving it to Pirlo. He seems to me to also be taking a leader ship role pointing positions to players and directing them with a nod of the head. But I may just be making that up because I'm a big fan.

And could you imagine the hate from Taylor Twellman and the MLS Transfers twitter account had it been Mix?