NYCFC v Chicago Postmatch

The most painful sequence I remember was one of the rare times we had numbers going forward. Villa had the ball with space in the middle. Mendoza was ahead and to his right. Inexplicably he started veering in to the center instead of staying out wide. He basically cut off Villa and brought more defenders with him. It totally clogged up the middle and we didn't even get a shot off.

Ugh.

I lost my shit when I saw that.

Yes with a partial "but." Teams are letting us have possession, and letting us shoot, because it's working for them. If they fought for possession our numbers on those stats would not be so impressive.

NYCFC is an easy team to play against. All you need to do is the following:
1. Pressure Saunders and the play out of the the back, they will aimlessly boot it up the field, you get the ball.
2. NYCFC will walk the ball up the field but nobody moves. So just hold your position, pressure the man with the ball, and eventually NYCFC hits an errant pass - you get the ball.
3. Ok, so NYCFC has made it into the attacking third: pack eight guys in the box. NYCFC will do one of three things:
a. Take the ball wide and try to dribble, stand him up and he'll either launch an aimless cross or lose the ball
b. Try a combo across the top of the box, just stand your ground and the player will look for the perfect pass and/or dribble and...lose the ball
c. Pass it backwards and start #3 again. Pirlo might try a chip over the top but that will have too much air on it. Clear it out.

Then just wait for NYCFC to screw up and either run a counter-attack, or get a foul for a set piece. Easy peasy.

The most painful sequence I remember was one of the rare times we had numbers going forward. Villa had the ball with space in the middle. Mendoza was ahead and to his right. Inexplicably he started veering in to the center instead of staying out wide. He basically cut off Villa and brought more defenders with him. It totally clogged up the middle and we didn't even get a shot off.

Ugh.

Mendoza has no soccer brain. He's got some skills and is fast, but has no idea where to move on the field.

Out of curiosity bc my friends and I seemed to be the only ones that noticed it. During the first half, and what I believe was around the 35' mark, somebody made what seemed to be a ridiculously athletic diving shot block that saved an open net rocket. I remember seeing a nice head of hair and if it were confirmed to be Pirlo I'll get a nice laugh out of it. Could've been mix too. Anyone know what I'm talking about? It was hard to see from the supporters section

Reactions: Kjbert
I thought Mullins was kind of "eh." That being said, he held up play. When you don't have guys wide who can cross the ball or create a shot, you need a hold up player.

I would like to see Poku tried as a CF. What do we have to lose now?

Out of curiosity bc my friends and I seemed to be the only ones that noticed it. During the first half, and what I believe was around the 35' mark, somebody made what seemed to be a ridiculously athletic diving shot block that saved an open net rocket. I remember seeing a nice head of hair and if it were confirmed to be Pirlo I'll get a nice laugh out of it. Could've been mix too. Anyone know what I'm talking about? It was hard to see from the supporters section
I saw it, thought it was Iraola, but maybe because he's made at least 2 saves this year. Midas sitting next to me thought it was Brillant. I asked in the shout box and got a different answer.

Reactions: Kjbert and BEC SPK
After watching it back home...my feelings are the same as during the game.

Mendoza makes some bonehead decisions.

PV knows we need a holding striker, tried Mullins and it didn't work well. He's a 2nd striker not a solo guy.

The small field sucks.

The field in general was bad.

Other than that, a lot of the same. If Villa is gonna play out left, we need a legit scorer. He's in a 1v2 situation the whole time...can't get a shot off and nobody to cross to. We have no size in the box. We don't need anything fancy, just a big target guy.

That being said...we had some decent chances. The Pirlo corner to Villa was nice. Villa free kick was almost there. The other shots were manic. If we won 1-0 what would the mood be...though we should have lost 1-0.

• Now I can see why Corinthians gave up on Mendoza, he is fast but has little soccer brain. He is where attacks go to die. I remember the 3 on 3 with Villa where he could have taken it to goal and instead cut it back. Aarrggh.
i think someone got into his ear that he should cool it with the shots. i remember the first few games he was taking the stupidest of shot from terrible angles and miles out. Now he doesn't shoot inside the 18!! No way, he was yelled at and now he doesnt know what to do.

Admittedly I did not see the game but I can't imagine how poorly Nagbe had to have been playing for a Grabavoy swap to be considered a "good tactical switch".

Yea De Jong curbstomped Nagbe's ankle and took him out of the game. De Jong somehow only got a yellow for it, but everyone's saying he's going to hear it from the disciplinary committee. Especially since he's kind of known for that shit.

Either way, some poor idiot tweeted that it was a good tactical move notwithstanding the injury. I found that hilarious.

Admittedly I did not see the game but I can't imagine how poorly Nagbe had to have been playing for a Grabavoy swap to be considered a "good tactical switch".
I still can't get over the fact that the Timbers, reigning MLS champs, who won it all without him, gave Ned Grabavoy the #10 shirt.

Grabavoy.

#10.

I still can't get over the fact that the Timbers, reigning MLS champs, who won it all without him, gave Ned Grabavoy the #10 shirt.

Grabavoy.

#10.
Timbers: "Ned, we'd like to offer you a free agent contract to give us some depth. Are you interested?"

Ned: "That'd be great! I'd love to play for the reigning champs and help marshal your midfield. I'll do it on one condition - I need to wear #10 so that I get the on-field respect I've earned. OK?

Timbers: "Uh, what?!?"

Ned: "I need to wear #10 to make an impact in the midfield."

Timbers: "OK, sure, you can have #10.... just sign on the dotted line under $60K, and let us know if you find the newly installed bench seats comfortable."

Reactions: Kjbert and Rimil
I think there are going to be more than a few aneurysms around here when the 2016 salary information is released.

4 home games against (mostly) bad teams, and we have 3 points to show.

We played Orlando without Kaka and lost, New England who was a man down and tied, Chicago without Accam and tied, and gave up a two goal lead against Toronto. That's not good enough.
FIFY.