Nycfc V Houston Motm & Post Game Discussion

Why do we only press at the end of a game? it seems like we always come close to two goals or so right at the end. I know we are playing from behind most times, but we need to play with that intensity from the start. That being said a great night at the stadium, supporters section was bringing it tonight, the drums really help. Facey did have a better game than he's had in the past, and we did close them down pretty much on the wings for much of the game. It seemed like the entire team played like it was an important to give a big effort. And Villa was a punk for standing around watching the game, and he gets pushed off the ball way to often.

Well, I thought we looked pretty poor for large spells. I didn't time it, but we seemed to be out of the game for a long time.

How Mix isn't the MOTM thus far is beyond me. I'd take him, Poku and Mullins to war any day.

Everyone else is fair game to be replaced. Those guys and Shelton are the heartbeat of the team.

Wingert is a worse LB than a CB.

Thought the Facey-Hernandez partnership was fantastic. Let's go back to it.
Quoting this for emphasis. Wingert is absolutely a liability at LB, but Facey looked enough of an improvement from Wingert at CB that it justifies not having Wingert there.

Reactions: Kjbert
You don't see the lock on the Houston match day thread? Shit.

Here's me: I react to whatever I see. Villa was a bitch. He should be called out.

Them trotting out MCFC players was even worse. That should be pointed out.

Other match day threads have remained open. This one didn't.

You make the call.

I DVR'd the game and fast forwarded through most of it, so you've lost me.

What did Villa do exactly, and what happened with MCFC players?

Villa lost the ball to launch the move that eventually ended in the Houston goal. When he lost it, he had an opportunity to immediately challenge. Instead, he stood at at the same spot with his hands on his hips and watched the entire move without so much as picking up one foot.

The MCFC players were honorary captains and trotted out for several minutes. I guess they expected s heroes' welcome. Mostly no one cared one way or the other, but I just found it off-putting for Crazy Joe Hart, the corpse of the Player Formerly Known as Vincent Kompany and David Silva (love him, for sure, great player, but why?) to be trotted out as honorary captains during the prematch photo, etc.

A note about attendance for this match: This was only the second Saturday home match, the other being Sporting Kansas City. And outside of the home opener, it was the second most attended match. The first being the other Saturday match against SKC.

A note about attendance for this match: This was only the second Saturday home match, the other being Sporting Kansas City. And outside of the home opener, it was the second most attended match. The first being the other Saturday match against SKC.
I want the Mix hat trick. Maybe you should try not predicting it, just to change the mojo

If you still have the recording, watch the bit before the goal. You can't see Villa, but you can hear the commentators talking about how he's standing still at midfield.

Reactions: Drainyoo

My view of the PK goal

I thought Facey looked great at CB. Wingert looked sluggish tonight and it didn't help when he took a shot to the nuts. Nemec was strong in the air and won us a PK. Mix played his heart out like he always does and Deric stole a win from us with his save on Brovskys diving header.

Last edited:
Villa's attitude is really getting to me too. Not sure what he expected exactly but he needs to chill with the Hamlet audition and set an example for the younger players.

Otherwise, I only saw the second half but they looked improved. Still too much vacillating around the opposition box but the defense was reasonably solid. Poku looked good again. Almost a dynamite headed goal from JB, and that nice cross he put in to Nemec.

Nobody is a the MOTM. Its beyond me that Kreis still the coach. If it was any other club in South, Central America, Europe, Africa, Asia or Australia he would've been gone already.
Anyways, meeting David Villa at the Meet & Greet was THE only good thing about tonight.
Cannot wait for another L in Philly.

Reactions: Kjbert and Gavin23
I'm realizing what it will take to finally win a game: a 2nd and 3rd DP. I just wish the Front Office knew this before the season started. #LampardGate #PirloParty

Reactions: Kjbert
I find myself yelling the same things at this team that I do my son's U9 team -- GO TO THE MIDDLE, ALWAYS CLOSE THE GAP TO THE BALL and MARK A MAN on set pieces. I hate to say this, but they have the hallmarks of an undisciplined/poorly coached team.

That's funny. I said the same thing to myself tonight with my kids team. I was getting that same frustrated anxiety.

What was up with the field tonight. A lot of players losing their footing.

I want to give Villa the benefit of the doubt. But I have to agree. He does it every match. If something doesn't go his way, he sits there with his hands on his hips in disappointment. These no name players on our team beat themselves up, Villa looks like he's blaming his teammates. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but it sure looks that way. That's the problem with these older guys with nothing to prove...they got the skills, but the passion might be lacking. It's starting to annoy me. I'd rather lose with young players busting their ass than with a high priced DP. Hopefully he's just frustrated and a win gets the positivity rolling.