Nycfc V St Mirren

That was for the goal... There was another play with a tremendous ball from Martinez to Taylor behind the defense that should've been our 3rd goal.
4:40 in the highlight video :)

I was more impressed with Martinez than Alvarez. I thought Martinez looked solid defensively and was good on the ball as well. Alvarez was neat, but a few passes went astray from him.

NICE! I'm pumped!
Vz6eZV7.gif

Done watching the first half of the game. Thanks to those who posted it. Will watch the second half tomorrow.

Here's an amateurs observations:
-Saunders looked clumsy. Kind of stiff, but has good size for the position and plays smart.
-Mendoza and Facey looked decent. Both fought for the ball, but Facey looked more athletic.
-Wingert and Brovsky played much more towards midfield then I thought they were supposed to for their position. Am I wrong here? Almost at midfield a lot. Liked how active they both were though.
-Jacobson and Ballouchy were decent. Nice passes, played their positions okay.
-Grabavoy was very active. Liked the way he played. Nice passes, didn't lose possession.
-Velasquez is very quick. Created a ton of opportunities. He was my first half MVP.
-Mullins didn't look so good. Didn't really get in great positions and made nothing happen when he had the ball.
-Villa looked decent. Should get a ton of goals if we keep playing like we are. Looks like he is just cherrypicking with how close he plays to the defenders. One mistake and he's off to see the goalie.

Last edited:
Kory, expect a lot of offside flags this season coming from Villa, he is always on the edge of the defensive line. So many offsides coming from Xavi, Messi and Iniesta's passes hahaha.

By the way, I finally watched the first half and I have to say the 1st team didn't look bad at all. Is going to be difficult for Kreis to pick the 'definitive' XI!

Interesting watching the full game. The announcers making comments about the players never really playing together before. I get what they are trying to say, but having Kreis and 4-5 of his former RSL guys really does bring some stability to NYC. Also, Salt Lake under Kreis was known as the possession kings in MLS. So I think the "possession game" is more a product of the players and Kreis's methodology than anything "City" taught Kreis.

Still fun to to watch. Thanks for posting the video!

I am just a female , don't know much about the technicalities of the game like you guys do. I just enjoy watching the game, can someone enlightening me for the next game are they playing in Norway?

Kory, expect a lot of offside flags this season coming from Villa, he is always on the edge of the defensive line. So many offsides coming from Xavi, Messi and Iniesta's passes hahaha.

By the way, I finally watched the first half and I have to say the 1st team didn't look bad at all. Is going to be difficult for Kreis to pick the 'definitive' XI!
The rest of the guys are going to have to work on timing passes so they can launch David in the back of defenders. You gotta pass it earlier so that he's not offside 8-10 times a game.

If those guys get the ball out late to him sometimes, I shudder to think of all the offsides we could be seeing this year. Thanks for the heads up though.

Last edited:
Reactions: PegasusTenma
I am just a female , don't know much about the technicalities of the game like you guys do. I just enjoy watching the game, can someone enlightening me for the next game are they playing in Norway?

No, they are playing in Manchester against a Danish team.

Saunders looked clumsy. Kind of stiff, but has good size for the position and plays smart.

After watching the full match video again, I think that Saunders wasn't too bad. He is not exactly swift on his feet but his positioning was pretty good. What really stood out to me was his distribution. He hit a NYCFC player on nearly every down field kick and we almost always retained possession as well.