Nycfc's Usl Pro Minor League Affiliate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of interest, skipping forward three or four years into the future, if NYCFC were to create a B-team to enter into USL-Pro rather than opt for a permanent link-up with an extant side, and say that team were based close to or inside NYC, how many here would actually attend? Bearing in mind that it would be twice as many weekends of the year taken up by football, twice as much money (well, slightly less, but still some money) and so on?

I think it's very interesting to have our B team also locate in NYC, but I think marketing wise, it's better to have our B team to play in other cities to promote NYCFC, in locations like what @MagnusPax had suggested such as Purchase or Hartford.

If we think about it, New Yorkers have enough entertainment options to devote more times into a lower division futball team. But I would definitely go a few times a year if NYCFC-B indeed plays in NYC.

I think it's very interesting to have our B team also locate in NYC, but I think marketing wise, it's better to have our B team to play in other cities to promote NYCFC, in locations like what @MagnusPax had suggested such as Purchase or Hartford.

If we think about it, New Yorkers have enough entertainment options to devote more times into a lower division futball team. But I would definitely go a few times a year if NYCFC-B indeed plays in NYC.

I like this idea too, but Purchase is awfully close to the city if we're trying to branch out. Why not pick a location that gets more of the state involved? Rochester, Buffalo, Albany/Troy, and Syracuse could all be options.

I like this idea too, but Purchase is awfully close to the city if we're trying to branch out. Why not pick a location that gets more of the state involved? Rochester, Buffalo, Albany/Troy, and Syracuse could all be options.
I agree. I would like to branch out the USL pro team enough to extend our developmental reach, but not too far away from NYC so we can have some joint training sessions. My preference is south western CT because a.) it's closer to me so I can go to matches and b.) it's seems like a more talent rich area than most of NY.

Reactions: Kinkladze
Stamford would actually be perfect. Medium sized city - lots of young people - lots of sponsors - lots of disposable wealth - lots of families in the Fairfield/Westchester area - and near the home of the Everton USA program.

I now vote for Stamford.

Stamford would actually be perfect. Medium sized city - lots of young people - lots of sponsors - lots of disposable wealth - lots of families in the Fairfield/Westchester area - and near the home of the Everton USA program.

I now vote for Stamford.

Love the Stamford idea too, since I live there.
But Stamford doesn't exactly have a large enough stadium to support a USL-Pro side. Stamford H.S.'s Boyle Stadium could be retro-fitted with temporary stands to hold 3,000-4,000. They also have a Fieldturf soccer field that temporary stands could be built around.
I would think Westchester County would get first stab at hosting a NYCFC USL-Pro side -- probably at Manhattanville or SUNY Purchase. The NY Knicks put their NBA D-League team at Westchester County Center arena, knowing the area's potential for minor-league sports.

What's at Chelsea Piers Stamford? Could build a pitch by the water in Harborside

What about the academy affiliates? Blau-Weiss, Downtown Utd, Manhattan SC, Met Oval, NYSC, South Bronx, Staten Island, and World Class FC. Could we not just use them?
I'm sure they will be involved in some form, especially with the amateur/u-18 sides. Our USL Pro affiliate will be the place for the top tier of those players to progress with, while remaining in our system!

What about the academy affiliates? Blau-Weiss, Downtown Utd, Manhattan SC, Met Oval, NYSC, South Bronx, Staten Island, and World Class FC. Could we not just use them?
Of course, where to get the players was never the issue. Where would they play, when would they play and would it be wholly owned minor league pro team or just an affiliate are the questions.

Of course, where to get the players was never the issue. Where would they play, when would they play and would it be wholly owned minor league pro team or just an affiliate are the questions.

I don't think that any if the affiliates, who essentially from what I can tell are just the most successful youth football programs in the area, would have stadium facilities meeting the minimum requirements to host a USL Pro match. I'm presuming most of them just play on council pitches with no stands or seating or even a way to ticket entry.

So anyone know of any red bull kids ready to make the move to NYCFC and one of their affiliates? I see a bunch of top prospects from around the city. Seems like as good of time as any to start playing dirty on the recruiting trail.

We don't need to play dirty. Seems like CFG are excruciatingly above board in everything they do

I'm sure once the academy is set up and the team performs well, we'll be the clear choice for talented kids in the tri-state area. Chances are they'll expand the partnerships with youth clubs in the rest of NY, CT and NJ.

How will the youth team partnership work once we have an Academy? I like the idea of having relationships with multiple programs around the tri state area.

How will the youth team partnership work once we have an Academy? I like the idea of having relationships with multiple programs around the tri state area.
Perhaps the elite players from each of the youth organizations will train with the Academy. In addition to training partnerships, shared coaching and of course, $, I can see it working in some way.

Reactions: Kjbert

I think the idea is that they serve as feeder programs. The academy would have teams ranging from u-21ish down to maybe u-15, and at the bottom end will every year pick the best players from its affiliates. Perhaps it would operate younger teams too, but I think they would try to avoid being seen to actively out-compete their own affiliates. The idea would be that the affiliates are given the coaching assistance to offer a quality introduction to football for the kiddies to make sure that the best kids are the right standard for professional football and they also get the resources/brand association to help them scour the area for and absorb the creme de la creme of kids in the area, and in exchange for these benefits they would offer a production line of young players entering the official academy when the time was right.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Perhaps the elite players from each of the youth organizations will train with the Academy. In addition to training partnerships, shared coaching and of course, $, I can see it working in some way.
Hopefully none of the decisions regarding thee NYCFC academy involve asking the kids to pay a dime.

Reactions: BxLio91 and Kjbert
Hopefully none of the decisions regarding thee NYCFC academy involve asking the kids to pay a dime.
Absolutely, I meant that I would assume that NYCFC may create a financial incentive to the youth clubs in some way. I agree, this is not the PDL, we don't need to use our youth teams to fund the whole pro operation. (Many PDL, and some USL Pro clubs survive solely by using the adult club as a marketing tool for it's youth organizations. They charge huge prices to families to accept their kids. If you look at the Pittsburgh Riverhounds financial statements from their bankruptcy, you can see how lucrative this market has become)

I'd like to see the MLS ad some more incentives to having homegrowns. Something along the lines of more salary cap help and if they don't already get the entire amount of the transfer fees for these prospects, so they can invest that into the academy and club even more. You would see a growth in the academies/MLS as a whole and it would help clean up the youth program in this country and certainly the USMNT.

Status
Not open for further replies.