Nycfc's Usl Pro Minor League Affiliate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The future of Americana soccer will be built on the backs of the MLS Academies. Their ability to recruit, coach, groom and retain will determine not only the future trajectory of MLS but also the USMNT.

Klinnsman is right in how he is developing the U- programs. That's important. But ultimately it's the work those kids do with their Academies 4 days a week that will determine success

I'd like to see the MLS ad some more incentives to having homegrowns. Something along the lines of more salary cap help and if they don't already get the entire amount of the transfer fees for these prospects, so they can invest that into the academy and club even more. You would see a growth in the academies/MLS as a whole and it would help clean up the youth program in this country and certainly the USMNT.
I think they do now. A certain number of Homegrown players do not count towards the cap and they are all automatically protected in Expansion Drafts. Look at DC United this year, they do not have to protect Bill Hamid on their 11, because he is Homegrown academy player. Nice.

Just read this on the NYCFCwatch webpage:

On a side note, and this is not unexpected, NYCFC is working on gaining an United Soccer Leagues(USL) affiliate . It is possible that a select few from this combine will have the opportunity to sign with NYCFC and play for this USL affiliate. Tomorrow will be the final day of the combine and I am sure I will have more news and notes posted right here.

http://nycfcwatch.sportsblog.com/posts/1552602/update__new_york_city_fc_combine.html

Which teams are still unaffiliated?
BTW if we has end of the year awards, you'd win MVP by miles.

Reactions: Kjbert
Which teams are still unaffiliated?
BTW if we has end of the year awards, you'd win MVP by miles.
Aw shucks. Just a internet lurker like the rest of you.

Anyway, the current list of unaffiliated USL Pro teams is:

Arizona
Colorado Springs
OC Blues
Pittsburgh
St Louis
Tulsa
Wilmington, NC

Rumor is Chicago is going with St Louis and Dallas is going with Arizona. So that probably leaves:
  • Colorado Springs
  • OC Blues
  • Pittsburgh
  • Tulsa
  • Wilmington, NC

My guess is that Wilmington (NC) is the most stable one and is closer than all but Pittsburgh (and its warmer than Pitt).

You're supposed to loan them a few players each season (I think I read you have to send at least four players to them, but I could've made that up) and in exchange the players get valuable match experience at a competitive level.
We've got some guys who could use some experience starting with draft picks and might include our buddy Matt Dunn as well.

So who do we all think is headed to Wilmington?

Tony Taylor, Matt Dunn, Akira Fitzgerald and Andres Mendoza to start the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.