Official Facebook Supporter's Group Name Vote

MyBoyVilla

Registered
Mar 19, 2014
Manhattan
twitter.com
I am not advocating Facebook as a better alternative to this forum as a central site for the SG. However:

The fact is that the SG is currently based on Facebook. If you want your voice heard in picking a name for the SG, voting/discussion on this website is not going to accomplish that.

Here is the link to the vote: (You will need to have FB and join the SG group)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/372691759501790/permalink/487349708035994/?qa_ref=qd

Again, I am not promoting Facebook over Forums, just making an announcement so that fans can make an informed decision about how to make their voices heard.

I am not advocating Facebook as a better alternative to this forum as a central site for the SG. However:

The fact is that the SG is currently based on Facebook. If you want your voice heard in picking a name for the SG, voting/discussion on this website is not going to accomplish that.

Here is the link to the vote: (You will need to have FB and join the SG group)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/372691759501790/permalink/487349708035994/?qa_ref=qd

Again, I am not promoting Facebook over Forums, just making an announcement so that fans can make an informed decision about how to make their voices heard.
i do believe its owned by the same admins

The goal is to move everything here.
Most of the admins on the FB SG post and are active here as well.
I'll try to have a talk tomorrow regarding the situation and finally squaring things out.
I don't know if it's a matter of them wanting independence from everything or what.
I just don't find Fb to be a good mode of communicating.
This site isn't necessarily a SG. It's a forum for all fans to come and have discussions. My goal, if an SG was to form was to create a private section for them to discuss matters of the group but keep the rest accessible to fans.
We have many members from around the world who will not be joining the SG. As well as the majority of NYC fans who will not be. The SG will be a small group of supporters, as with every team, and we are here for the rest of the fans.
I'll update tomorrow if talks get anywhere

I edited the title of the post to reflect it more accurately.

At this current time there is no OFFICIAL the Supporters Club.

There is a group that has chosen to focus their efforts on FaceBook. There is no "official" connection between us, however we are loosely connected.

My choice to edit was in no way meant to be disrespectful, just a judgement call on my part.

The goal is to move everything here.
Most of the admins on the FB SG post and are active here as well.
I'll try to have a talk tomorrow regarding the situation and finally squaring things out.
I don't know if it's a matter of them wanting independence from everything or what.
I just don't find Fb to be a good mode of communicating.
This site isn't necessarily a SG. It's a forum for all fans to come and have discussions. My goal, if an SG was to form was to create a private section for them to discuss matters of the group but keep the rest accessible to fans.
We have many members from around the world who will not be joining the SG. As well as the majority of NYC fans who will not be. The SG will be a small group of supporters, as with every team, and we are here for the rest of the fans.
I'll update tomorrow if talks get anywhere

It would however appear Dan that you have some axe to grind against the Facebook group. Most of the posts I've read from you have either been accusing the Facebook lot of doing something wrong or asking people to stop posting on there and move their discussions to these forums.

Personally I am fairly active on both and see it as all positive stuff. The more people talking about the club in as many places as possible, great!

Reactions: MyBoyVilla
It would however appear Dan that you have some axe to grind against the Facebook group. Most of the posts I've read from you have either been accusing the Facebook lot of doing something wrong or asking people to stop posting on there and move their discussions to these forums.

Personally I am fairly active on both and see it as all positive stuff. The more people talking about the club in as many places as possible, great!

That's fair enough.
They're not doing anything wrong, sorry if I had mentioned they were. I don't recall.
I've been involved with web development since I was a young kid (15) and I have a fine understanding of how web marketing works. Give me 2 months tops and this forum will be ranked on first page of google searches when you type NYCFC.
My only beef with a group, not necessarily 'the' group but a group using Facebook to communicate with (in the future) thousands of members is that it's ineffective and far too broad.
I've got in touch with Buckley and we will discuss this tonight. Where we plan on going forward and what I can do to accommodate the group.
The things this forum can do to draw NYCFC fans is far beyond the capabilities of FB.
I'm concerned about the future of the SG. When we kick off in 2015 I WANT it to be a thousand+ member group. I simply don't think there's any way for that to happen via Facebook. It's certainly a great method of attracting that market of fans, as is twitter for its own users.
However, a .com domain that is as large as this one will draw anyone that so much as types NYCFC into google.

I've already had acquisition firms attempt to purchase or buy me out and I've rejected because I'm not here for that. Ideally the SH should have a .com landing page and blog type structure and then a forum tap which for discussion purposes could redirect to our forums here.

Informative reply and I appreciate that.

I'm sure there is a way of linking the two or at least making the FB group a kind of gateway to the forums.

That's fair enough.
They're not doing anything wrong, sorry if I had mentioned they were. I don't recall.
I've been involved with web development since I was a young kid (15) and I have a fine understanding of how web marketing works. Give me 2 months tops and this forum will be ranked on first page of google searches when you type NYCFC.
My only beef with a group, not necessarily 'the' group but a group using Facebook to communicate with (in the future) thousands of members is that it's ineffective and far too broad.
I've got in touch with Buckley and we will discuss this tonight. Where we plan on going forward and what I can do to accommodate the group.
The things this forum can do to draw NYCFC fans is far beyond the capabilities of FB.
I'm concerned about the future of the SG. When we kick off in 2015 I WANT it to be a thousand+ member group. I simply don't think there's any way for that to happen via Facebook. It's certainly a great method of attracting that market of fans, as is twitter for its own users.
However, a .com domain that is as large as this one will draw anyone that so much as types NYCFC into google.

I've already had acquisition firms attempt to purchase or buy me out and I've rejected because I'm not here for that. Ideally the SH should have a .com landing page and blog type structure and then a forum tap which for discussion purposes could redirect to our forums here.

TL;DR NYC.F is here for the long-term. We are positioning ourselves to grow far beyond what FaceBook can offer. FaceBook is a great place to catch up with old friends. It's a great place to find people with common interest. But Facebook is not conducive to encouraging discourse. A proper web-based Forum is.

This is not a battle for who is better. It's a matter of what will work long-term.

Reactions: Gene
Informative reply and I appreciate that.

I'm sure there is a way of linking the two or at least making the FB group a kind of gateway to the forums.

This is what we are hoping to achieve. I am a member of both but I feel that NYCF is in a better position to succeed as a foundation for the group.

heres an idea: maybe the nycfc (in the future) will have too Firms. here me out: the FB gorup could be one firm and The Forum Firm would be another.

heres an idea: maybe the nycfc (in the future) will have too Firms. here me out: the FB gorup could be one firm and The Forum Firm would be another.
Hopefully it doesn't come to a split. If I had a choice I'd have one major group with elected representation from each region/Borough; since it'd be impossible for 5,000 (one day!) People to goto the local bar to agree on things. But if each borough had a firm/contingent and then after a Meeting Day the "elected leaders" all got together here, and discussed the ideas or wants/needs of their particular unit I think we could do some impressive things (coordinated chants, tifos....if we ever decided to get into community events).

Bit these are things that need not be discussed for a long time. They are just ideas floating around in a supporter-with-too-much-time's head.

Firms are perhaps an unlucky choice of words, we are hardly looking for small tightly knit groups of people..

I edited the title of the post to reflect it more accurately.

At this current time there is no OFFICIAL the Supporters Club.

There is a group that has chosen to focus their efforts on FaceBook. There is no "official" connection between us, however we are loosely connected.

My choice to edit was in no way meant to be disrespectful, just a judgement call on my part.
If you aren't in competition with FB and you have no axe to grind, why change the title of the thread. They are the only supporters group there is, hence official.

Seems there is a bit of competition here, which is exactly what you claim to want to avoid. Very silly and petty IMO, especially since you are so confident in your amazing web abilities.

Reactions: Johnny
I am one of the admins of that Facebook page. I also run the NYCFC_SC account on Twitter.

the only problem I have encountered with some is that not everybody is a fan of forums and some people just like the convenience of Facebook. thats the only problem i think but theres nothing wrong with being productive on here and on Facebook. the more the merrier!

the only problem I have encountered with some is that not everybody is a fan of forums and some people just like the convenience of Facebook. thats the only problem i think but theres nothing wrong with being productive on here and on Facebook. the more the merrier!
A question I have for you: Is there a way to put the final name vote on all the relevant sites (FB, Twitter, NYisBlue.com, NYCFCForums.com, etc.) just to make sure everybody is fairly represented?

I think that just like some people dislike forums/prefer FB, there is also the opposite view that people dislike FB. Just trying to brainstorm a way to get everybody involved in that important decision.

Reactions: einwindir
A question I have for you: Is there a way to put the final name vote on all the relevant sites (FB, Twitter, NYisBlue.com, NYCFCForums.com, etc.) just to make sure everybody is fairly represented?

I think that just like some people dislike forums/prefer FB, there is also the opposite view that people dislike FB. Just trying to brainstorm a way to get everybody involved in that important decision.
yes I agree, I would like to have all of us connected as much as possible which means sharing everything that is going on on all of our forms of social media that we are on so everyone can be on the same page. I am trying to promote this page as well as the Facebook group on twitter

Reactions: MyBoyVilla