Official Schedule Discussion

Absolutely figured that about NYCFC and Orlando. Orlando's launch is absolutely screwed if they lose that 60k game. Just a disaster for them.

As for NYCFC, the good Sheikh does not give a single **** about these other guys trying to keep their free agency/cost-saving system.

Agreed. With expansion fee, start-up costs and committed salaries for the year, he's probably already in the hole about $150 Million. When you include the cost of creating a temporary training facility ($5 Million), a permanent facility ($25 Million) and a stadium (estimated $400 Million), he's already committed almost $600 Million to this project without playing a single game.

I know there is a good argument to be made about these owners having comitted $1 Billion to this and having lost money all these years, but here's a guy who committed $600 Million - more than any other ownership group by degrees.

The owners appear more divided than the players. They are probably divided in 3 groups: progressive owners wanting a more open league (NYCFC, LAG, TO), conservative owners that want the status quo (Rapids, FC Dallas, Revs) and teams that are on the fence (RBNY). The fact that free agency is being discussed days after RSL owner called it a non-starter tells you that MLS owners are in disarray.

You can't tell someone to give you $100m but deny them a seat at the table.

EDIT: The union I am sure also has divides too between the young/old, USA/foreign players but for now they are talking in one voice

The owners appear more divided than the players. They are probably divided in 3 groups: progressive owners wanting a more open league (NYCFC, LAG, TO), conservative owners that want the status quo (Rapids, FC Dallas, Revs) and teams that are on the fence (RBNY). The fact that free agency is being discussed days after RSL owner called it a non-starter tells you that MLS owners are in disarray.

You can't tell someone to give you $100m but deny them a seat at the table.

EDIT: The union I am sure also has divides too between the young/old, USA/foreign players but for now they are talking in one voice

That and the players don't have Bob Ley and Taylor Twellman yelling at them on the league's biggest media partner about breaking the stupid meter

Reactions: Kubah
That and the players don't have Bob Ley and Taylor Twellman yelling at them on the league's biggest media partner about breaking the stupid meter
ESPN & Fox have to have a say... notice ESPN has been quiet until now.

If Mansour's $100m buys influence can you imagine $600m from USA TV deals? And Sky Sports... and now Audi signing the biggest sponsorship deal in MLS history. There is no better time to fight for free agency/strike.

Hopefully they can work it. Getting free agency without a work stoppage would show real growth/maturity by the league. No other US league has been able to do that.

It would be a shame for the opening games to be cancelled. Everyone is looking forward to kick off and I can guess there will be a few angry fans if the games don't go ahead.

I was getting nervous. I plan a business trip almost entirely so that it coincides with the first ever home match and it began to look as if I'd be spending that Sunday in the hotel bar reviewing spreadsheets.

Onward and upward!

I was getting nervous. I plan a business trip almost entirely so that it coincides with the first ever home match and it began to look as if I'd be spending that Sunday in the hotel bar reviewing spreadsheets.

Onward and upward!

I know what you're saying. I've spent a good £1,000 on flying across the Atlantic for the first game. It would've really sucked if it had all been for nothing.

I know what you're saying. I've spent a good £1,000 on flying across the Atlantic for the first game. It would've really sucked if it had all been for nothing.

It would have—it is quite the journey and I actually had to partly fund my trip as I changed the timeframe and hotel to better accommodate attending the match.

Let's hope for a great showing from the lads.

Bundle up, it's going to be cold. Not nearly as cold as its been the last few months but plenty cold.

Reactions: Kjbert
Okay fellas, let's look at opening day formations and lineups (sure NYCFC doesn't have a full roster but that shouldn't stop us).

4-4-2 diamond

Meara
Williams-Hernandez-Wingert-Brovsky
AJ
Grabovoy - Lampard
Velasquez
Villa-Mullins
Impressive prediction

The way I see the schedule:
ORL-W
NE-L
Col- W
SKC- W
Phil- L
Phil-W
Port-L
Chi-W
Seattle-L
NJ-W
Chi-W
RSL- W
Houston-W
Phi-L
Mont-W
TFC- L
NJ-W
Mont-W
TFC -W
NE-L
Orl-W
Mont-W
NJ-W
DC-L
Columbus-L
LA -L
Columbus -L
DAllas-W
TFC-W
SJ-W
Vanc-W
DC-L
Orl-W
NE-L

21 wins, 13 losses

Last year NE won 17, so we should be best MLS team ever.
Just pointing out we have already exceeded my rosy predictions. ;)