Official: Villa Is The Captain

As I said in the other thread, it's not entirely clear that this is a permanent fixture. This tweet came out straight after the one talking about playing a match against Jacksonville. OK, there's a Vine, but I'm not convinced he'll still be wearing the armband come March.

As I said in the other thread, it's not entirely clear that this is a permanent fixture. This tweet came out straight after the one talking about playing a match against Jacksonville. OK, there's a Vine, but I'm not convinced he'll still be wearing the armband come March.
It mostly would be him anyway.

Seems pretty definite to me. Plus, you don't switch captains game by game.

Reactions: Kjbert
Seems pretty definite to me. Plus, you don't switch captains game by game.

You can do in pre-season. You're probably right, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I refuse to believe this is a permanent decision. It's just that the timing, to me, was too close to the game to not be confusing.

Reactions: Drainyoo
I definitely think it was for the game played today but can see him being a captain come opening day.

You can do in pre-season. You're probably right, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I refuse to believe this is a permanent decision. It's just that the timing, to me, was too close to the game to not be confusing.

Yeah, I hear ya. I found it strange, too. Didn't think it was anything at first until I thought about it for a second. Would be a stupid move by them if it's not permanent. Way to confuse us.

There wouldn't be a story on the MLS webpage Villa wasn't captain for the year. Glad our best player wants to lead the team as Captain.

O-Captain-My-Captain.png

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
i wanted Mcnamara

Villa, as cool as he is, shouldnt really be a captain. Captains lead the team.
The team speaks english, he doesnt

Didn't see anyone mention this, but NYCFC tweeted this today with a video of Villa.

I totally get Villa as a captain - his bona fides are the best in MLS now that Henry's retired.

Genuine question, though - does a language barrier exist/ make a difference with his captaincy? I've not heard him speak for a prolonged period of time, so am curious whether that'd make a difference. He's a brilliant player and more than deserving of the arm-band, but I'm not sure how fluent he is in English.

At this point they may be going on the basis of seniority like some other clubs do (for example Real Madrid). Villa was the 1st signing so he's at the top of the seniority list. Jeb is pretty high up there as well (he was NYCFC's 4th or 5th player, right?). We'll just have to wait and see who gets the armband when Villa doesn't start or is subbed off.

Edit: Jeb was actually the second player acquired by NYCFC, so it makes sense that he also wore the armband yesterday when Villa came off.

Last edited:
At this point they may be going on the basis of seniority like some other clubs do (for example Real Madrid). Villa was the 1st signing so he's at the top of the seniority list. Jeb is pretty high up there as well (he was NYCFC's 4th or 5th player, right?). We'll just have to wait and see who gets the armband when Villa doesn't start or is subbed off.
Also who else has Villa's experience?

Reactions: Drainyoo and Paul
Also who else has Villa's experience?

Exactly. I'm saying if you go by seniority with NYCFC it's Villa. If you go by footballing experience in general it's also Villa. We'll just have to wait and see who gets the armband when Villa isn't on the field to determine which system they are going with (merit or seniority). Based on the fact that Jeb also wore the armband yesterday, I'd say they are going with seniority at least for the preseason.

Does anyone know what system Kreis used for selecting captains at RSL?

Last edited: