Our Best Back Line

Coltons13

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Apr 26, 2015
Maplewood, NJ
It's not news to anyone that follows this team that we struggle mightily defending on set pieces. Be it free kicks or corners, we concede a good deal of goals on them. Particularly of note was the 7-0 thrashing in the first match against the Red Bulls, where four of their seven goals came from set pieces.

On Sunday, it was clear that Patrick Vieira remembered this and he made some adjustments to try and prevent it from happening again. Our defense on set pieces was more compact, we kept more players near the goal and marked much more tightly. Saunders was more aggressive coming out to play anything he could reach. But the biggest change was the line-up we trotted out.

In the 7-0 match we used a backline of Allen/Hernandez/Brillant/Matarrita. While I love Matarrita, he's obviously more of a wingback than a true defender. He's best defending the wing and keeping up with pacey players rather than marking in the box. On Sunday's 2-0 victory, we used a line-up of Hernandez/Brillant/Mena/Allen. This line-up is a bit taller and features three true centerbacks on the field at the same time. While Hernandez did nothing going forward on the right and Allen was limited going forward on his less comfortable left, the solidity that having four tall players who are solid man-markers in the box was absolutely noticeable. It continued to be effective when Matarrita was subbed in later on and we went to five in the back in a formation of Allen/Hernandez/Brillant/Mena/Matarrita. The wings were covered and we had three players in the box to mark crosses and set pieces.

Personally, I do believe the back line of Allen/Hernandez/Brillant (or Mena)/Matarrita is our strongest four in terms of a balanced attack and defense. But in situations where we need to consider our defense a bit more seriously and where the opposition has advantages in the box and on set pieces, I would not mind seeing the Hernandez/Brillant/Mena/Allen line-up more frequently.

What do you all think? What's our best back line? We really seem to be settling down back there, whether due to a change in tactics or personnel. How should we continue to produce results from the defense going forward?

Reactions: JayH and ktdNYCFC
Mena has been a beast the last couple of games. Regardless of Jason's health situation I think it's his job to lose now. I can see PV mixing it up tonight but I'd like to see Mena keep the job for as long as he's having success there. If we have a winning formula in our weakest part of the lineup it's best to stick with it. Love Allen and Mata as RB/lb pairing as well

Mena has been a beast the last couple of games. Regardless of Jason's health situation I think it's his job to lose now. I can see PV mixing it up tonight but I'd like to see Mena keep the job for as long as he's having success there. If we have a winning formula in our weakest part of the lineup it's best to stick with it. Love Allen and Mata as RB/lb pairing as well
Mena has come up huge, and ultimately with his size and talent I think he's Hernandez's replacement long term, though he's really shown his worth this year as well. It's great that we have the option of the more defensively sound Hernandez/Brillant/Mena/Allen line-up as well as the nicely balanced Allen/Hernandez/Brillant (or Mena)/Matarrita option.

Probably first in bad positioning and uncalled fouls too.
Uncalled fouls are good plays to me ;) His positioning has markedly improved from last year. And when you combine his great stats in stopping attacks with the fact that Brillant is 1st in clearances in MLS, between the two of them, very little gets through to Saunders. Really the reason we've conceded as many goals as we have has been how poor Saunders save percentage is.

Still not sold on Mena, but can't deny the results.
I think that field let him down on his passing clearances. He's usually a very good passer.

I think our best back line is somewhat situational. Against pacey forwards, I prefer Mena in there. In other situations, I like Hernandez and Brillant.

The use of Hernandez instead of Mata against New Jersey was apparently in part because Mata had a gimpy ankle and couldn't go a full 90. I actually have some doubt about that and think his marking on corners was at least part of the issue. I also recall Harrison saying that because he knew Hernandez was behind him, he was freer to stay forward and cause trouble.

You also have to wonder how much any of this changes once White is healthy again. Personally, I like both starting FBs and the other 3 CBs ahead of White, but Coach V might feel differently.