POLL: Do You Judge A Jersey Based on How IT Looks On The Field Or On You?

Do You Judge A Jersey Based on How It Looks On The Field Or On You?

• Solely By How It Looks On Players On The Pitch

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Mostly By How It Looks On Players On The Pitch

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Exactly Equal (Or Awfully Close At Least)

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Mostly By How I Would Look On Me Or Other Fans

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Solely By How It Would Look On Me Or Other Fans

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good is Good and Bad is Bad and It Doesn't Matter Where You Wear It

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

mgarbowski

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jul 16, 2014
Queens, NY
mgarbowski.com
Reading the varied reactions to various kits, I've started to wonder if this distinction is part of the reason for very different reactions to certain jerseys. There are kits, for example, that I think look perfectly fine (or better) on the field. There it's OK (IMO) if they have bold clashing colors and a somewhat busy design. From hundreds of yards away it all blends and those sorts of things can be a positive. But I would not much care to wear them myself, certainly not casually and maybe not even to a game. For me, I want a simpler cleaner designs. But I can still look at a jersey that is a bit much for my personal taste and consider it good as a team design.

So I'm just wondering if others make the same distinction or do you just think about how it looks on the field, whether you would wear it, or some combo of both.

As you mention, kits can work on the pitch but not in the stands. But I can't think of many that work on regular fans that don't look good on the pitch. So I think the regular fan body is the litmus test. And nothing looks good on a mannequin :)

I liked the home Jersey on the field and on me.

Hated black trash bag on field, love it on me

Hate hypnokit on field, would never buy that thing.

This new kit looks good with white shorts to me, I'll probably buy it.

Reading the varied reactions to various kits, I've started to wonder if this distinction is part of the reason for very different reactions to certain jerseys. There are kits, for example, that I think look perfectly fine (or better) on the field. There it's OK (IMO) if they have bold clashing colors and a somewhat busy design. From hundreds of yards away it all blends and those sorts of things can be a positive. But I would not much care to wear them myself, certainly not casually and maybe not even to a game. For me, I want a simpler cleaner designs. But I can still look at a jersey that is a bit much for my personal taste and consider it good as a team design.

So I'm just wondering if others make the same distinction or do you just think about how it looks on the field, whether you would wear it, or some combo of both.
From the moment I saw the hypnokit I thought it was ghastly, and no matter how many times I tried I just could not bring myself to actually buy one. But when I saw them being worn on the field I thought they looked pretty good, so I totally agree with your hundreds-of-yards-away thought.

Reactions: Goodfella
I love collared/buttoned jerseys off the field and in print but sometimes think they look sloppy on the field. You have every player wearing it differently, unbuttoned, buttoned up, collar popped, undergear peeking etc, and you lose some of the uniformity. Probably says a lot about me though!

Reactions: Paul
I love collared/buttoned jerseys off the field and in print but sometimes think they look sloppy on the field. You have every player wearing it differently, unbuttoned, buttoned up, collar popped, undergear peeking etc, and you lose some of the uniformity. Probably says a lot about me though!
You must hate baseball uniforms. In my day, it was like a competition to see who could button the least number of buttons.

I love the black jersey the most but never thought it looked great on the pitch. I still can't believe I bought a hypno kit and put Mullins name on it... it's probably my least favorite. I like the orange accents but can't handle the circles on myself. I feel like too much of a statement when I wear it. The inaugeral home kit is probably the most worn kit by myself and looked great on the field. Was never a fan of the collar though. After all this rambling I'm just gonna say I care how it looks on me, but don't really care how it looks on the team. I just care that they are performing in what ever they are wearing. Also they can usually wear it better than me :(

Don't wear our kits much. The black has that orange on the neckline and kills it for me. Otherwise it's a sexy kit and I like it on the field. But walking around with that upside down triangle on the neckline is so odd.
Haven't worn the inaugural season one much. It's a bit of a keepsake. I'll buy this years and sport it tho