Race for CCL Spot 2019

Based on the Language in the CONCACAF Document, Have We Qualified For the 2019 CCL? - Moot Poll Now

• Yes - We Qualified

Votes: 28 84.8%
  • No - We Did Not Qualify

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters

So basically exactly what we imagined.
giphy.gif

I'm just posting a screenshot of the Tweets in case they are deleted and we want to take this to court.

upload_2017-12-11_17-55-59.png

Reactions: Kjbert
Yeah, Nick is dead on with his coverage and you saw Chris M's conversation with Sam who wrote the MLS piece. Neither side seems to know what's happening and now they're both trying to figure out what to do.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Interpreting in our favor: "the club(s) with the next greatest number of regular season standings points, regardless of Conference, will fill the remaining available berth(s)."

Regular season standing points. NOT regular seasons standing points. So, it's a single season. Since a Canadian team earned the 2017 MLS Cup then the club with the next greatest number of regular season standings points gets the berth, which is us.

If there's another repeat winner in 2018, it's the club with the next greatest number of regular season standings points in 2018.

Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 7.18.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 7.18.39 PM.png

Sooooo bottom line is MLS is trying to convince CONCACAF that NYCFC hasn't actually qualified for 2019 Champions League. Nice.

Let's protest outside 420 Fifth Avenue.

Hey ho, Don Garber has to go. Hey ho, Don Garber has go.
NYC in the Champions League. That's the way it's supposed to be.
Hey ho, Don Garber has to go. Hey ho, Don Garber has go.

Who knew. The official rules are public.

There's some ambiguity in the language, but it does seem that the 2-year aggregate is meant get the spot.

Did you read it? (Of course you did, look who I’m talking to) But see how they use the word aggregate again in the last paragraph. I think this is a case of a missing comma. I’m in the poorly worded camp, but I’m also biased.

02402E4B-7A6F-449D-8C62-22422D313AC8.png

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
The key here is that a Canadian team took multiple spots. The addendum to the rules explicitly lays out different rules if a Canadian team is to capture a berth through the American qualifying system.

Reactions: adam and LionNYC