Salt Lake - Postmatch

Not much good to say about the performance. We haven’t had to criticize Dome since early on in the season but this one was on him.
The game was there for the taking and he didn’t seem to want it.
This should have been the easiest game to win of the 3 we play in 8 days. We should have gone for all 3 points. Tinker against Houston and go for 3 again in Atlanta.
This lineup could of won this game.
The subs made absolutely no impact on the game and the change to go 4 at the back did nothing to help us maintain possession. Don’t think we spent much time on the ball in the final third in the last 15 minutes of the match.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
after our goal it was just horrendous. Let me count the ways...

Poor passing from all. We are playing at altitude and keeping possession and reducing how much we actually run is important. Instead, we give up the ball cheaply and end up playing end to end. Not surprisingly, we get exhausted and get worse as the game goes on.

Sweat's injury kind of put a wrench in Dome's plans for sure and delayed the subs. I think he should have subbed on GMS sooner for Mitri. Between Mitri and Taty, I feel like Taty was contributing more despite his constant flopping. Mitri just seems like a one trick pony - constantly losing the ball or just dribbling to his right to find some space for a shot. Without any real creativity in the midfield, Heber was not very effective.

I feel like poor decisions, bad fouls, and bad giveaways cost us this game. Ibeagha's decisions on defense baffle me every time he steps onto the field. His positioning always seems to be completely wrong and his nervousness on the ball is stressful to watch. Ring took Beckerman's bait and that led to the second goal. It was just downhill from there.

We really missed Maxi's creativity and possession in the midfield today. Even when Parks came on, he dribbled more than he should have at times and ended up losing the ball. Not his best game at all. Callens was definitely missed on the backline as well.

Overall - very poor performance. I don't mind losing, but to lose because we played like under 8s is just shameful. Hopefully we can turn it around soon because Houston will not be an easy game. Their front line is very dangerous and I feel like T-Mac has some "revenge" in his heart too just like JLew..

Reactions: adam and Ulrich
This should have been the easiest game to win of the 3 we play in 8 days.
I agree with your entire post but this. Houston is complete crap while RSL has earned 25 of a possible 33 points at home. This was a tough game going in. But everything else you said was on point.

Hopefully we can turn it around soon because Houston will not be an easy game.
Another one? What do you and NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan see that I'm missing? Houston has lost 8 of its last 10 games and have just 6 Away points all year in 10 games. They suck. They suck more on the road. If we lose or even draw to them at home that will be a by far our most pathetic result to date this year. Playing at Rio Tinto is 10 times harder than playing Houston at Yankee Stadium.

Last edited:
Another one? What do you and NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan see that I'm missing? Houston has lost 8 of its last 10 games and have just 6 Away points all year in 10 games. They suck. They suck more on the road. If we lose or even draw to them at home that will be a by far our most pathetic result to date this year.

Houston's front line is dangerous. They don't do well on the road, true. But if we don't play well, their front line can tear us apart easily. Not sure if Elis is still suspended, but Manotas , Martinez, and Quioto are all dangerous if they get on a roll. Should we win? yes. But if Callens is still out for Thursday, we're looking at Ibeagha defending against one of those 3-4 houston attackers, and there's no way he's any match for any of them.

If we play like we did today, we'll be in trouble. We lost control and played end to end. Even at home, we can't resort to that style of play or houston will take it to us.

I don't think this game was on Dome. This was 100% on the players for not taking it slowly at high altitude. we had a good game plan that didn't work because we were way too tired in the second half, even by the end of the first half.

Reactions: WalkenTall27
Houston's front line is dangerous. They don't do well on the road, true. But if we don't play well, their front line can tear us apart easily. Not sure if Elis is still suspended, but Manotas , Martinez, and Quioto are all dangerous if they get on a roll. Should we win? yes. But if Callens is still out for Thursday, we're looking at Ibeagha defending against one of those 3-4 houston attackers, and there's no way he's any match for any of them.

If we play like we did today, we'll be in trouble. We lost control and played end to end. Even at home, we can't resort to that style of play or houston will take it to us.
That's a commentary on us, and a fair one, but it's not really about Houston except for 3 sentences that all say the same thing. And, yes, Houston has talented attackers, but they've been shut out 5 times in the last 10 games, including last night at home against a Chicago team that was previously winless on the road. They started well but have completely fallen apart both home and away. The only thing more ridiculous than not beating Houston would be to drop points to Cincinnati.

RSL is the best Home team we have played all year. Not one of the best. The best. We looked like crap, especially in the second half. There's no getting around that. Probably the worst performance since Toronto. I would want this team to look better than that, even at altitude, even missing Maxi, and even against a team that good at home. But I can't extrapolate from that to any future games, and especially not Houston at home.

This was the least important of the three games this week. Away, at altitude to a western conference opponent who is excellent at home. Would have been great to see them see out the draw, but not as important as games against eastern conference playoff teams.

Even with this loss NYCFC still has the best road record of any Eastern conference team.

This means nothing if they regroup, get 3 against Houston and some type of result in Atlanta. Those two games are much more important.

We could have been up 2-0 in the first ten minutes then we were garbage for the rest of the match.

I thought GMS should have come on before Parks. Of course neither had any impact on the match as we couldn't even seem to get the ball in the last quarter of the match.

Reactions: Ulrich
Another one? What do you and NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan see that I'm missing? Houston has lost 8 of its last 10 games and have just 6 Away points all year in 10 games. They suck. They suck more on the road. If we lose or even draw to them at home that will be a by far our most pathetic result to date this year. Playing at Rio Tinto is 10 times harder than playing Houston at Yankee Stadium.
I didn’t say it’ll be difficult but last night should have been the easier game based on rest.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I didn’t say it’ll be difficult but last night should have been the easier game based on rest.
All things being equal...yes, but this was a road match minus our most important player. This was no guarantee of points.

All things being equal...yes, but this was a road match minus our most important player. This was no guarantee of points.
Definitely missing the most important player, but we had the use of our two other DP game changers.....

[checks notes....]

Er.... two other players taking up DP spots that combined only provide about 1/4-1/2 performance of a quality DP.....

That's a commentary on us, and a fair one, but it's not really about Houston except for 3 sentences that all say the same thing. And, yes, Houston has talented attackers, but they've been shut out 5 times in the last 10 games, including last night at home against a Chicago team that was previously winless on the road. They started well but have completely fallen apart both home and away. The only thing more ridiculous than not beating Houston would be to drop points to Cincinnati.

RSL is the best Home team we have played all year. Not one of the best. The best. We looked like crap, especially in the second half. There's no getting around that. Probably the worst performance since Toronto. I would want this team to look better than that, even at altitude, even missing Maxi, and even against a team that good at home. But I can't extrapolate from that to any future games, and especially not Houston at home.

Fair point.

I just watched Dome's post match presser. He wasn't happy. I think we could have totally stayed in control of this game with short, quick passes to keep possession. We just failed. Maxi usually is that key to unlock the midfield and the key to slowing the game down and keeping our possession. We really missed him in the midfield. Neither Ofori nor Ring were able to fill that role. Even when Parks came on, he just seemed off his usual game.

ONTO THE NEXT!

Reactions: adam
Fair point.

I just watched Dome's post match presser. He wasn't happy. I think we could have totally stayed in control of this game with short, quick passes to keep possession. We just failed. Maxi usually is that key to unlock the midfield and the key to slowing the game down and keeping our possession. We really missed him in the midfield. Neither Ofori nor Ring were able to fill that role. Even when Parks came on, he just seemed off his usual game.

ONTO THE NEXT!
I thought Ofori played well. He cleaned up a lot and made some key passes to spring Tinnerholm. Ring made some odd decisions. He scored but also hit it over the bar a handful of times

Reactions: Schwallacus