MLS - April 17 - Salt Lake (Home)

The YES App has replays available, so I would consider that as an option too.
It is. But the DVR recording is easier to navigate to than finding the replay within the Yes app, and navigating within the game also is easier with the DVR. My DVR also allows watching at 2x speed. It's a bit choppy, but I can speed through certain sections and easily stop, and go back if something catches my eye.

Not that it was a big deal having the last goal waved off yesterday but does anyone else wonder about the decision?
Seems like one could argue the call could go against the keeper in that situation for going to ground and rolling into the shooter.
Taty got to the ball first (not a very good strike) and naturally landed after taking a shot at he ball.

Not that it was a big deal having the last goal waved off yesterday but does anyone else wonder about the decision?
Seems like one could argue the call could go against the keeper in that situation for going to ground and rolling into the shooter.
Taty got to the ball first (not a very good strike) and naturally landed after taking a shot at he ball.
I didn't think it was a foul either on Taty or the keeper.

Would be curious how it would have been called, or if it would have been checked via VAR had it been a tied or one-goal game.

Reactions: VernonJohn
I didn't think it was a foul either on Taty or the keeper.

Would be curious how it would have been called, or if it would have been checked via VAR had it been a tied or one-goal game.
On replay, the ball crossed the goal line before the whistle was heard so it could have gone to video review. Personally, I thought it wasn't a foul on either player and the goal should have stood. But Elfath just hates us. Ronny said "He's the worst referee I has even seen. He's wearing a Red Bulls kit underneath".

Parks always looks like he's taking a family photo hah. i like it.

nfri8grfyjym1r1gmtws.jpg

also wanted to add - I agree. Team looked like we had ideas and great flow even without maxi. Santi (especially) and Talles, stepped up as playmakers but as a whole, our attackers were all looking for each other and it was great to see. I'm still not entirely sure if we were just that good yesterday or RSL were just that bad, but either way, we needed that game and those goals.

Vuk stepped in on very short notice and did great. Don't remember him having any mistakes.

Parks always looks like he's taking a family photo hah. i like it.

nfri8grfyjym1r1gmtws.jpg

also wanted to add - I agree. Team looked like we had ideas and great flow even without maxi. Santi (especially) and Talles, stepped up as playmakers but as a whole, our attackers were all looking for each other and it was great to see. I'm still not entirely sure if we were just that good yesterday or RSL were just that bad, but either way, we needed that game and those goals.

Vuk stepped in on very short notice and did great. Don't remember him having any mistakes.
South Americans don't smile

IT WAS A BIG DEAL AND DEFINITELY WAS NOT A FOUL.

My kid agrees. He was talking about it on the ride home from the game. He was talking about it last night. He was talking about it this morning. And it was the first thing he mentioned when I picked him up from school today ("I was talking to my friend _____ who was sitting behind that goal, and he agreed that it definitely was a goal . . . etc."). I still am not sure why, maybe it's the magic of the 7. Or maybe it's the years of sitting near LionNYC LionNYC :)

My kid agrees. He was talking about it on the ride home from the game. He was talking about it last night. He was talking about it this morning. And it was the first thing he mentioned when I picked him up from school today ("I was talking to my friend _____ who was sitting behind that goal, and he agreed that it definitely was a goal . . . etc."). I still am not sure why, maybe it's the magic of the 7. Or maybe it's the years of sitting near LionNYC LionNYC :)
Despising PRO is certainly contagious

• Haha
Reactions: JayH
Okay. I guess any disallowed goal is a big deal.
I didn’t want to come off as a whiner. I really hope as just curious what people thought. I was gonna say I don’t understand how it was disallowed but we should all know by now that that is the what we get from PRO.

Anyone have a picture of the championship banner???

When I saw that it made me wonder -- was that supposed to be our initial banner and it just got delayed with the world's supply chain issues? Or was it our response to the FedEx-Kinko's Saturday saver?

When I saw that it made me wonder -- was that supposed to be our initial banner and it just got delayed with the world's supply chain issues? Or was it our response to the FedEx-Kinko's Saturday saver?
I would guess that the club didn't expect such a reaction to the tiny Yankees approved permanent one (that was a miss by them), and responded with the significant new temporary one (that was a commendable recovery by them). If the larger one had just been delayed, I suspect they would have made that known when revealing the postage stamp.

Count me in as 1) not someone who typically complains about reffing but 2) was totally mystified and annoyed by that call. It was almost like a mercy call. Fuck that guy.

Also since the "permanent" one isn't leaving Yankee Stadium, they'll need something to put up at Citi Field.

I don't think it's the marketing. The club does a good job marketing, works hard to fill as many seats with "free" tickets as possible with youth club partnerships and other affiliations, and has improved substantially on social media, public facing events, etc. There was no better pub than what we got with our cup run. And after that, what we see is what we get, even if the marketing were to be extraordinary. Only a new stadium coupled with the WC will change that. So for now we have maxxed out our range. For the record, I can't make any sense of reported numbers as I thought that yesterday's crowd looked and felt better than the previous games.
We were drawing better a few years ago. And I stand by my statement about marketing. Let’s take Instagram, where for example we have 2x the number of followers as the Sounders (700k v 350k). Sounds great, right? But…Our baseline engagement on standard things like game day posts over the past week is about 1-3k. Theirs is more like 3-5k (both teams spike higher) on literally half the addressable audience. This means their social team is getting 4x better engagement. That is, empirically, better marketing. Restricting your media access as much as our guys do is also bad marketing. Sure, the team generates a fair amount of content, but it’s boring and anodyne and it underperforms relative to other top squads. Having run literally dozens of campaigns, some wildly successful and some not, I sure would not be happy with my own performance if I were seeing these numbers. And that’s just one example. This team has a lot of challenges, but there’s still a lot it could do better even without spending a ton more.

We were drawing better a few years ago. And I stand by my statement about marketing. Let’s take Instagram, where for example we have 2x the number of followers as the Sounders (700k v 350k). Sounds great, right? But…Our baseline engagement on standard things like game day posts over the past week is about 1-3k. Theirs is more like 3-5k (both teams spike higher) on literally half the addressable audience. This means their social team is getting 4x better engagement. That is, empirically, better marketing. Restricting your media access as much as our guys do is also bad marketing. Sure, the team generates a fair amount of content, but it’s boring and anodyne and it underperforms relative to other top squads. Having run literally dozens of campaigns, some wildly successful and some not, I sure would not be happy with my own performance if I were seeing these numbers. And that’s just one example. This team has a lot of challenges, but there’s still a lot it could do better even without spending a ton more.
All very good points. My primary point was that even if the marketing were exponentially optimized, I am not sure it would move the needle much as far as actual game day attendance. We hit the jackpot with a wide net of exposure during our cup run, and it's disappointing that didn't translate to an obvious uptick. And our marketing has improved (albeit, clearly with room to improve as you nail). But even a marginal increase would be welcome so I agree that we shouldn't miss opportunities to better market the club. Having this discussion feels like picking against NYCFC in a gameday U Pick thread, so I am going to stop, and hope that some combination of positive influence adds a few more folks to the stadium (I mean, stadiums).

I would guess that the club didn't expect such a reaction to the tiny Yankees approved permanent one (that was a miss by them), and responded with the significant new temporary one (that was a commendable recovery by them). If the larger one had just been delayed, I suspect they would have made that known when revealing the postage stamp.
The banner was the victim of high expectations. It's in line with, and a little larger than, the Yankees World Series banners. If so much hadn't been made of its unveiling, the size wouldn't be an issue.