MLS - April 17 - Salt Lake (Home)

Imagine where we’d be if we hadn’t won the cup. One would think that for all the $$ they have and for all of the expertise they have exhibited on the sporting and community sides, they could at least try a tad harder on marketing, be it targeting casuals or even things as simple as making sure all your games are on, y’know, actual TV. Really feels like they are biding time until they can get a stadium.
It felt very Chivas-y yesterday though at least CFG have the funds to stick it out. At least the on-field product is good.
I don't think it's the marketing. The club does a good job marketing, works hard to fill as many seats with "free" tickets as possible with youth club partnerships and other affiliations, and has improved substantially on social media, public facing events, etc. There was no better pub than what we got with our cup run. And after that, what we see is what we get, even if the marketing were to be extraordinary. Only a new stadium coupled with the WC will change that. So for now we have maxxed out our range. For the record, I can't make any sense of reported numbers as I thought that yesterday's crowd looked and felt better than the previous games.

Last night's YES network replay was delayed in favor of extended Nets postgame, so the last 10 minutes of the game were cut-off of my DVR because I need to allot 3 hours of recording to get a full <2 hour game that wasn't even presented live.
Haven't checked mine yet but I almost always set it for two hours over based on past experience. I only did one hour this time for some reason so I hope I have it all. I mean, was at the game so I'll live, but still.

Also, I almost always watch the wins at home to see what happened that I couldn't figure out at the stadium but don't always watch the losses. Don't want to live through them again usually LOL.

I don't think it's the marketing. The club does a good job marketing, works hard to fill as many seats with "free" tickets as possible with youth club partnerships and other affiliations, and has improved substantially on social media, public facing events, etc. There was no better pub than what we got with our cup run. And after that, what we see is what we get, even if the marketing were to be extraordinary. Only a new stadium coupled with the WC will change that. So for now we have maxxed out our range. For the record, I can't make any sense of reported numbers as I thought that yesterday's crowd looked and felt better than the previous games.
It has been clear to me for a while that NYC has a remarkably low ceiling of support for this team. Even with a proper stadium and WC boost, we will max out below the support seen in other much smaller MLS cities. I think we'll fill a 20-28k stadium, but probably not 30-35k. It would be presentable, but not regularly sold out IMO.

ETA: even 20-28k might not sell out midweek or against lesser interest opponents.

Last edited:
It has been clear to me for a while that NYC has a remarkably low ceiling of support for this team. Even with a proper stadium and WC boost, we will max out below the support seen in other much smaller MLS cities. I think we'll fill a 20-28k stadium, but probably not 30-35k. It would be presentable, but not regularly sold out IMO.
I agree. I think that would exactly be our range, and I hope that we recognize that rather than build too big. I don't care much about surplus for concerts and friendlies. I want a fun, loud and full 25ish K experience.

I would be perfectly happy with 15,000 every match in a closed-in and loud 20,000 seat bowl. And when it sells out for a "big" match all the better. The problem with a baseball stadium is when we get 10 to 15,000 on a cold Easter Sunday it feels empty when you're in a place that can hold 46,000 people.

While I am looking forward to a SSS with better crowds and sight lines, it really is had to beat paying $50 for two tickets right behind the goal at field level on the first base side. First half we saw in the bleachers to get the full field view and then moving around the stadium at half time to sit in our actual seats with the fancy cushions that I’m sure people spend upwards of hundreds of dollars for Yankee tickets per seat. I got a video of Taty’s second penalty but I’m unable to post it because the file is too large.C925687E-C2BA-4C30-AFE4-5CEDD9A9B886.jpegC4403750-5AA6-4C0E-A428-F5DFEF2134B1.jpeg

Last edited:
While I am looking forward to a SSS with better crowds and sight lines, it really is had to beat paying $50 for two tickets right behind the goal at field level on the first base side. And then moving around the stadium at half time to sit in the bleachers and getting the full field site lines. I got a video of Taty’s second penalty but I’m unable to post it because the file is too large.View attachment 11996View attachment 11997
Omg i sat exactly in that spot in the GA in the first half, then went around to the opposite side in the second half to get some wings, and stayed there. I mean literally exactly in that spot, maybe a couple feet to the left.
EDIT: nope I’m wrong, I see now this is the bleachers, I was in the GA supporters section. Same number of rows back, same proximity to deck on the left. Very similar look.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCMore
Omg i sat exactly in that spot in the GA in the first half, then went around to the opposite side in the second half to get some wings, and stayed there. I mean literally exactly in that spot, maybe a couple feet to the left. I remember all those same people in front of me. I have a short video too!
That’s wild! We literally sat next to each other and had no idea haha. My fiancée was the only one in an RSL beanie. If you saw her then you probably saw me!

Reactions: Kenny
That’s wild! We literally sat next to each other and had no idea haha. My fiancée was the only one in an RSL beanie. If you saw her then you probably saw me!

I was wrong, see my edited post above. Very similar perspective, and I guess similar looking people lol.

But i did see some RSL clad fans here and there, maybe one was your fiancé!

Reactions: JCMore
While I am looking forward to a SSS with better crowds and sight lines, it really is had to beat paying $50 for two tickets right behind the goal at field level on the first base side. First half we saw in the bleachers to get the full field view and then moving around the stadium at half time to sit in our actual seats with the fancy cushions that I’m sure people spend upwards of hundreds of dollars for Yankee tickets per seat. I got a video of Taty’s second penalty but I’m unable to post it because the file is too large.
Hey, I'm in *this* photo! LOL

mySeatFar.png

mySeatClose.png

I think one of the best positive takeouts from this game is that the team has rarely, if ever, played this well without Maxi. In fact, we have usually been dreadful without him, so it bodes really well for the future that we now seem to be able to create chances and have a fluid offense with Santi and Talles deputizing for Maxi. If anything, I think it made the team play faster. Let's hope it can be replicated against better opposition.

I think one of the best positive takeouts from this game is that the team has rarely, if ever, played this well without Maxi. In fact, we have usually been dreadful without him, so it bodes really well for the future that we now seem to be able to create chances and have a fluid offense with Santi and Talles deputizing for Maxi. If anything, I think it made the team play faster. Let's hope it can be replicated against better opposition.
This is a really good point.

Attendance felt the worst yesterday for me. I usually go by what I can see and also the amount of people in the supporter section and it was not as full yesterday.

As others have said, I don't think marketing is the cause. I think what we saw was Easter Sunday crowd plus pandemic woes. New York just hasn't recovered like other cities and it shows everywhere. Even Broadway is only filling about 85-90% capacity for big shows when it used to be nearly impossible to find a seat at one.

Having less workers/tourists in the city, people with less money to spend on luxuries and cold weather/holiday are the main culprits I think. On top of it all, I think we just have to accept that there just aren't that many committed fans for this team at the moment. Sadly, I don't think it's going to improve anytime soon. But I suspect once NYC comes back as a whole, we'll see crowds improve as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: JayH and mgarbowski
Let's also not completely forget, that while it did feel warmer than the reported temps yesterday (and did feel nice), a forecast in the mid-40's isn't exactly going to help draw people out, even if it is sunny. Especially if it is an Easter Sunday and the opponent is only RSL.

Last night's YES network replay was delayed in favor of extended Nets postgame, so the last 10 minutes of the game were cut-off of my DVR because I need to allot 3 hours of recording to get a full <2 hour game that wasn't even presented live.

YES had a live Yankees game and a live Nets postgame show last night -- rule of thumb is to always extend your DVR recording.

YES had a live Yankees game and a live Nets postgame show last night -- rule of thumb is to always extend your DVR recording.
I know. I even saw that in advance, and honestly just wanted to be stubborn. Plus a part of me hates wasting DVR space even though I almost never go above 60% disk usage.

YES can fix this almost always even while still prioritizing both the Yankees and Nets postgame shows over NYCFC. Do one or both of 2 things: (1) schedule the NYCFC replay later so it is unlikely to conflict with a postgame show. Just schedule another Michael Kay show rerun in there to get pre-empted and/or (2) don't run the full 30 minute NYCFC pre-game if doing so means the actual game gets cut off during the designated slot.

Basically, allot enough time to the Nets or Yankee games plus post-game show that accounts for real world experience. Right now those games fit in the allotted period maybe 10-20% of the time. Maybe less. That's especially ridiculous for basketball which has very regular and predictable game times. Kick that up to 90%. That includes acknowledging that playoff games go longer, as do the postgame press conferences. I think most NYCFC fans would prefer a realistic replay start time they can rely upon over an earlier theoretical start time that almost never actually happens.

While I am looking forward to a SSS with better crowds and sight lines, it really is had to beat paying $50 for two tickets right behind the goal at field level on the first base side. First half we saw in the bleachers to get the full field view and then moving around the stadium at half time to sit in our actual seats with the fancy cushions that I’m sure people spend upwards of hundreds of dollars for Yankee tickets per seat. I got a video of Taty’s second penalty but I’m unable to post it because the file is too large.

I'm biased because I like Yankee Stadium, but if you know where to sit there are some outstanding places to watch a game in Yankee Stadium. Obviously you can also go very wrong and sit in a terrible seat, but a little research beforehand goes a long way towards putting you in a really good spot. We were averaging in the low-to-mid 20s as recently as before the pandemic, so I really don't think 14,000 is our ceiling. Especially considering the MLS Cup championship. I can only hope attendance will improve this summer, but it's still never been this bad early in a season. And I continue to maintain that YS is not that bad as a soccer venue, as long as you know where to sit. I know it's Easter and the end of the pandemic, but there is no excuse for drawing such a small crowd.

I know. I even saw that in advance, and honestly just wanted to be stubborn. Plus a part of me hates wasting DVR space even though I almost never go above 60% disk usage.

YES can fix this almost always even while still prioritizing both the Yankees and Nets postgame shows over NYCFC. Do one or both of 2 things: (1) schedule the NYCFC replay later so it is unlikely to conflict with a postgame show. Just schedule another Michael Kay show rerun in there to get pre-empted and/or (2) don't run the full 30 minute NYCFC pre-game if doing so means the actual game gets cut off during the designated slot.

Basically, allot enough time to the Nets or Yankee games plus post-game show that accounts for real world experience. Right now those games fit in the allotted period maybe 10-20% of the time. Maybe less. That's especially ridiculous for basketball which has very regular and predictable game times. Kick that up to 90%. That includes acknowledging that playoff games go longer, as do the postgame press conferences. I think most NYCFC fans would prefer a realistic replay start time they can rely upon over an earlier theoretical start time that almost never actually happens.
The YES App has replays available, so I would consider that as an option too.