SKC Postmatch

Walking into the stadium last night, it reminded me of the Yankees old postseason days

I'll be honest as that game went on I didn't think that goal was coming. Maxi was an absolute beast he played creator and enforcer. He allowed Pirlo to play and make some good passes. Lewis made some poor passes but he was ok. Shelton is fucking horrible. Absolutely fucking horrible. He's just so mentally weak it's unbelievable. Okoli I thought was mediocre and kind of lazy, he missed that goal that Shelton cleared away with his ass. That should have been in the back of the net before shit Shelton touched it. Callens was huge and I almost shit myself when Brilliant went down in the first couple minutes. Sweat played very well. All in all I'm very happy. I thought we played good considering everything. Line up changes should make the quick turn around a lot easier. I wouldn't be shocked in Villa sat just as a precaution.

I think Okoli could be real good for us just needs more consistent PT. He has shown flashes every time he plays but can't put it together for a full shift. His first touch that ended up drawing the foul right outside the box was one of the best touches I've seen out of a striker in MLS this season not named David Villa.

I think Okoli could be real good for us just needs more consistent PT. He has shown flashes every time he plays but can't put it together for a full shift. His first touch that ended up drawing the foul right outside the box was one of the best touches I've seen out of a striker in MLS this season not named David Villa.
Just woke up, has okoli been cut yet?
PV said in the press conference that he needs to rely on Ugo more through the rest of the season. Dan, you get your wish. Sorry, Tom

It was a rough, disjointed match, which shouldn't be surprising given the missing players, the weather, and the opponent.

Sporting KC is so defensively sound. Lots of respect for them. Their positioning and tackling was first rate. On the other hand, they are really rough going forward. I think about those games where we have trouble with the last pass or two to create a good chance. Those are always frustrating, but good god, our worst game in that regard is not nearly as bad as SKC last night. They were frequently dangerous, but never got close to that final combination to score. Their best chance came on a spilled save from a shot outside the box. It must be really frustrating to be a fan of SKC.

I thought our guys played very well under the circumstances, particularly in the second half. The defense was terrific and deserved the clean sheet. We were dangerous going forward and had enough good chances that something was bound to get in eventually. I would like to have seen better possession at times. Unlike K Kjbert, I felt Okoli's holdup play was poor. He was frequently dispossessed and had trouble winning balls in the air. To be fair, he was up against really tough opposition in Opara and EPB.

Unlike many, I thought Shelton put in a good shift, better at least than Lewis. He made some nice runs on the left and put in a couple of dangerous balls. We also needed his ability in the air given Okoli's struggles. This was a game where we needed to play long fairly often, so it was important to have someone else out there who could win the ball.

We won because the defense was sound, because Maxi was everywhere fighting and putting in a good pass, because Pirlo could sit back and distribute without giving up positioning, and because everyone else knew their roles and executed well.

Feel like he's type of striker that once he gets a goal, he's gonna score in bunches. Or maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part.
He just seems to be a little lazy to me. If he hustled a little more and just gave 1% more he'd be good. He certainly has a place on the team he's no Shelton. Solid reserve striker I just wish he would put his body on the line more and goals would come in bunches.

Reactions: Kjbert
It was a rough, disjointed match, which shouldn't be surprising given the missing players, the weather, and the opponent.

Sporting KC is so defensively sound. Lots of respect for them. Their positioning and tackling was first rate. On the other hand, they are really rough going forward. I think about those games where we have trouble with the last pass or two to create a good chance. Those are always frustrating, but good god, our worst game in that regard is not nearly as bad as SKC last night. They were frequently dangerous, but never got close to that final combination to score. Their best chance came on a spilled save from a shot outside the box. It must be really frustrating to be a fan of SKC.

I thought our guys played very well under the circumstances, particularly in the second half. The defense was terrific and deserved the clean sheet. We were dangerous going forward and had enough good chances that something was bound to get in eventually. I would like to have seen better possession at times. Unlike K Kjbert, I felt Okoli's holdup play was poor. He was frequently dispossessed and had trouble winning balls in the air. To be fair, he was up against really tough opposition in Opara and EPB.

Unlike many, I thought Shelton put in a good shift, better at least than Lewis. He made some nice runs on the left and put in a couple of dangerous balls. We also needed his ability in the air given Okoli's struggles. This was a game where we needed to play long fairly often, so it was important to have someone else out there who could win the ball.

We won because the defense was sound, because Maxi was everywhere fighting and putting in a good pass, because Pirlo could sit back and distribute without giving up positioning, and because everyone else knew their roles and executed well.
Shelton is terrible... he's got all the talent in the world but will never be more then a spot starter in the USL because he's too weak mentally. It doesn't help that he was drafted in a strong year. There were so many better options then him. I get it I don't blame them for taking him. Especially watching him at the combine. He's an athletic marvel but he's trash. Film of him in college probably backed that up too.

Okoli is by far a better striker than Shelton. Okoli is a decent target man but needs a lead striker to play off of (ala Villa). I don't think he has the tools at the current moment to be the sole striker in the 4-3-3. My wishful thinking is that he leans on Villa and continues to develop on his game.

Hard to call a hold up striker's performance good when he gets dominated on long balls that are placed perfectly on his head, and misses an absolute, 100%, lock down sitter.

Couldn't hold the ball up on the ground either. AND, has zero hustle.

Am I the only one who thought I saw the SKC defender get a slight touch on that ball coming in, moving it a few inches and causing Okoli to miss?

He just seems to be a little lazy to me. If he hustled a little more and just gave 1% more he'd be good. He certainly has a place on the team he's no Shelton. Solid reserve striker I just wish he would put his body on the line more and goals would come in bunches.
Is he actually lazy, or is he lazy in comparison to Villa? Feel like he, unfairly or not, just always is going to be compared to Villa, and that's not a close fight

Hard to call a hold up striker's performance good when he gets dominated on long balls that are placed perfectly on his head, and misses an absolute, 100%, lock down sitter.

Couldn't hold the ball up on the ground either. AND, has zero hustle.

To be fair, Okoli was matched up against Opara who is most likely the best defender in MLS this year (and is an absolute physical beast). Okoli could have done better, yes (and he needed to put one of those two chances in the net) but he was up against a big, athletic CB, not Sal Zizzo.

Definitely not a pretty game to watch, but three points out of our second and third string guys is the most one can ask for. A decent amount of people before the game here said they'd be happy with 1 point. We got 3.

Okoli was okay for me, would like to see him get a few more minutes here or there before I pass full judgement. Saw some good and some bad things from him throughout the game.

Shelton is complete crap. He made decent runs because SKC didn't have a RB to block those runs, but still managed to make the wrong decision each time he had the ball. I remember one play where Sweat and TMac were playing one-twos and Khiry was just standing there, not helping them at all. Finally, after a few of those passes between TMac and Sweat, Khiry was open in a decent amount of space and got the ball. It then took him three seconds or so to realize he had it and should probably turn around and run toward the goal, into that space. He turns around and..... runs toward the center of the field. Forget making a run into that space or passing to Sweat, nah, lets just run towards more SKC players.

I can see how people would be a little bummed about Okoli not being able to get those long balls. The thing is though is that he was being constantly held, pushed, and tossed around by the defenders to the point where I started to wonder where the ref was. I sit up high and even with the first base side of the center circle so I often had a clear view of where he was and to me it looked like a lot more fouling and a lot less incidental contact. I think Okoli might've needed to throw a few accidental elbows to the ribs a time a three so he'd be able to fairly compete for the ball.

ETA: simultaneous post with canchon canchon saying more or less the same sort of thing.

i thought okoli/ shelton would have more speed......i guess not