So How Many Of You Are New To Mls?

MagnusPax

Registered
May 3, 2014
I'm becoming more and more convinced by discussing things with some of you here on these boards that maybe many of you are completely new to MLS and/or actually ManCity fans in England.

Is this true? I'm not trying to judge, just surprised thats all. Usually new MLS clubs have a mix of fans of the league that had no local team, people who in America are usually refered to as EuroSnobs (Americans who love soccer, but only EPL,La Liga, Series A, MX etc not MLS) and soccer/futbol n00bs. The demographics of this forum surprise me I think.

Yeah, I'm brand new to MLS (and soccer in general, really - thanks, World Cup!). So I guess I'd fall into that soccer/futbol noob category.

Reactions: Pattyboybx
Can't really say I'm new to it. I just found it difficult to follow the red bulls. It was like staying with a girl you had no feelings for. Eventually you have to walk away. I follow serie A...ssc Napoli!!! I used to hate the summer. Nothing to watch. This new club and yes all of you guys has change that. Can't wait for our boys to arrive. This is what football is all about. The fans uniting.

Same as Patty. Know all the teams, general MLS rules etc. Just never connected with EDFC and didn't bother watching until NYCFC. So no, you'll never see me post "OMGzz with Man City/Yankees we can buy every player that shines at the WC and be like with Real Madrid"
Which I feel like, the people (usually teens) who say that on Twitter have no clue how the league works and might be disappointed :D.
Anywho just read some shit about the SOBs having a tifo that said "Only 18 months to live" right after we were announced when they played home against NJ. Sadly the FO intercepted it. We could have one at our first derby that says "Time's Up"

Reactions: einwindir
I'm new to pro soccer too (even though I grew up playing).

I started watching BPL on NBC last summer and was instantly hooked. I think BPL on NBC is doing / will be doing a much better job of getting American fans into soccer (and MLS) than the World Cup (every 4 years) ever will.

And now I need a soccer fix for my summers. I tried watching MLS in '96, but I couldn't get used to teams playing in empty football or baseball stadiums. it was disheartening.

I'm new to soccer in general. Having followed MLS for two years and EPL for the 2013-14 season.

I watched MLS for it's inaugural season (I was about 12 years old) and then slowly started to distance myself from sports in general. A good friend @jerzy talked me into going to an RB game 2 seasons ago and that was all it took.

My soccer knowledge is growing everyday but isn't anywhere close to being able to survive an indepth conversation. So I'll continue reading all the stuff here, on twitter and reddit; listening to the podcasts I've subscribed to & watch all the games I can.

Reactions: Pattyboybx
Football (Soccer) is in my blood...
Dad has been a season ticket holder all his life, Grandad was a season ticket holder at Maine Road, I was a season ticket holder until I moved away from Manchester, but still get to many games.
I played from being 8 until 38, and even now at 47 turn out for vets (veterans) teams. My son plays at a high amateur level and was (along with my daughters) brainwashed with the City religion from birth.

The main difference that I see on this forum to most fans in the UK, is that in the UK your team is bigger than your religion, most men are more faithful to there team than they are to there women.

Things have changed over the years, rules have changed, stadiums have changed, crowds have changed and no all changes have been for the better.

I would prefer to stand on the Kippax, than sit in a nice seat in the East Stand at the Etihad. Standing really should be reintroduced, it made the atmosphere at games much more full, than the "corporate" approach taken by most seated spectators today.

Tackles are much "softer" than they were, understandably from a H&S point of view, but not right, crunching tackles were a way of life back in the day (rose tinted specs) and diving would not have been tolerated by team mates let alone fans.

I really struggled with the American sports mentality at the start, don't get me wrong, we can share a beer with fans of opposing teams, and have great banter, but you seem much more "friendly and respectful" to your rivals than we are. You seem more ready to accept NYCFC being a part of the CFG, than we would be if we were in your position. (E.g. if the situation was reversed and we were watching the MLS, and supporting say LA Galaxy, and NYCFC came and set up a club in Manchester, no way would we support the new local club in the early days, Our loyalty would stay with Galaxy. But that is credit to you, not criticism from me (just a new concept to get my head around).

Unspeakable amounts of money have entered the game. Something else we need to get to grips with.
Cartels (luckily we got to the top table before the door was closed) are ensuring that there positions of power are ring fenced. Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool are the main protagonists in FFP.

These cartels move the game further towards a business than a sport. How this will affect the game I love in the future is yet to be determined.

As it stands sleeping Giants like Villa, Tottenham, Newcastle etc will never be able to match the spending of the cartels (due to FFP) and I can see a day when they break away and maybe form a franchise league such as the MLS in order to be able to survive and compete for success. Whilst the leading lights in the Cartel move more towards continental or world competitions.

Sorry guys I am off on one now.... To put it simply I love the game, love the club (MCFC), and am waching with interest the next stages of development in the Club, the group, and the game as a whole.

The main difference that I see on this forum to most fans in the UK, is that in the UK your team is bigger than your religion, most men are more faithful to there team than they are to there women.

one of the many issues with soccer growing in America is the competition for our eyeballs . . . we've got NFL, college football, college basketball, MLB, NBA, NHL, even NASCAR.

I'm new to soccer in general. Having followed MLS for two years and EPL for the 2013-14 season.

I watched MLS for it's inaugural season (I was about 12 years old) and then slowly started to distance myself from sports in general. A good friend @jerzy talked me into going to an RB game 2 seasons ago and that was all it took.

My soccer knowledge is growing everyday but isn't anywhere close to being able to survive an indepth conversation. So I'll continue reading all the stuff here, on twitter and reddit; listening to the podcasts I've subscribed to & watch all the games I can.
Just curious, because it seems like I'm in the same boat as you, what podcasts have you subscribed to? Which ones have been particularly helpful? Any Twitter recs?

Just curious, because it seems like I'm in the same boat as you, what podcasts have you subscribed to? Which ones have been particularly helpful? Any Twitter recs?

Soccer Morning is a great podcast to listen to. It's every day from 10-11:30 a.m. I believe

Check out a thread I started a few weeks back
http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?th...rce-some-podcasts-and-online-radio-shows.467/
I subscribe to all the MLS podcasts but I make an effort to listen to all of the following:
The Best Soccer Show
Extra Time Radio
Soccer Morning (the only daily I subscribe to)
Total Soccer
Big Head Red Head is Alexi Lalas and Taylor Twellman's show but they don't seem to do it too often.

Reactions: jerseyhotspur
heathdwilliams heathdwilliams IF i had to suggest two shows:

Soccer Morning is a daily show so it increases your exposure.

Total Soccer Show. My favorite of the lot. The guys have a ridiculous knowledge of soccer on a global scale even though they are an MLS centric show. They have unique segments that make for entertaining Sports Radio. Like, "Specific Predictions" where each host will have 4 or 5 very specific predictions for a game (ex: Christiano Ronaldo will attempt 12 crossovers of which 3 will result in shots on goal or Arjen Robben will dive resulting in a gamechanging PK). Their World Cup coverage has been great.

I am an American that roots for Everton in the EPL

I never had a rooting interest in the MLS. I like to follow the top players and will tune in for Seattle and SKC games because I like how they play. But never started rooting for any team in MLS.

I've been around since ~2008. I admit I started looking in when LA got Beckham. Though I had never heard of Beckham at that point.

Been following the league ever since. Tried to root for RB for about a week but I couldn't root for a team named after an energy drink playing in Jersey. Especially when they've always been so shit despite spending some cash.

Been watching "big games" since then.

Started following the MLS in the last month after I got addicted to the World Cup.
Welcome! It's a great time to get in. Since a lot of people have been inspired to check out MLS there will be many "New to the Sport" themed Sports Talk Show/Podcasts. The Total Soccer Show should be putting out a show today doing just that, if you're interested. If you're familiar with the rules of soccer and the basic layouts of the various leagues throughout the world "Soccer Morning" is a great MLS-centric Podcast. In the meantime you can always check out our MLS 101 to brush up on some things you may not already know.

NYCFC Forums MLS 101 - http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?forums/mls-101-open-to-guests.37/
Total Soccer Show - http://totalsoccershow.com/
Soccer Morning - http://nasn.tv/category/shows/american-soccer-morning/
NYCFC Forums Podcast List - http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?th...rce-some-podcasts-and-online-radio-shows.467/

Reactions: jerseyhotspur
I guess I would consider myself a hybrid of the two; EuroSnob/ Noob. I played soccer for 13 years growing up, but never got very interested in the MLS. Not a lot of television coverage, plus in the south (Louisiana) American football dominates. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy American football (college) but continue to detest the NFL more and more. My favorite sport is actually baseball (Go Mets!) -- I'm sure opinions vary on this.

I have watched every World Cup since 1994; Women's since 1999. I have always been a passionate fan of Deutschland because of heritage. I cheer for the U.S. but would not say I am a true fan. Saying so would be an insult to those that are passionate U.S. Men National Team fans. I'm working on it..

I say EuroSnob, because I loosely follow Bayern Munich. It's hard to follow with the lack of TV broadcasts, though FC Bayern does get some coverage. I normally catch all of the UEFA Championship.

I say Noob, because I don't know much about MLS and because I loosely follow the international clubs. So there is a lot to learn on my part.

After watch the U.S. in this World Cup, I decided I should give MLS another shot. A lot has changed in the past 10-15 since I tried it last and I think it is much more competitive now. I think it is getting closer to par with Euro and South/Central American Clubs (I know this is EuroSnob-ish statement. I don't mean to offend.) NYCFC seems to be a good mesh of a Euro style team with an American base. My family is from New York so I gravitate toward mostly New York sports teams. Supporting the RBs is laughable in my mind, so I could never bring myself to watch them.

I'm hoping to become a true die-hard of the MLS thru support of NYCFC. I official joined The Third Rail this morning, so I'm all in for the inaugural season! Glad to be a part of the community on this forum.

Can't really say I'm new to it. I just found it difficult to follow the red bulls. It was like staying with a girl you had no feelings for. Eventually you have to walk away. I follow serie A...ssc Napoli!!! I used to hate the summer. Nothing to watch. This new club and yes all of you guys has change that. Can't wait for our boys to arrive. This is what football is all about. The fans uniting.

Pretty much the same for me. I'm a big follower of Napoli and Serie A, and occasionally watch an MLS game. I just can't connect with RB. Looking forward to NYCFC so I can dive deep into MLS. Can't wait.