Soccer Or Football

Christian

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Apr 21, 2014
Since our club's name includes the word football, what are we Americans supposed to call the game? I know it's not a big deal either way but I was curious what you guys think? We play in MLS, Major League Soccer. Most Americans know the game as soccer. Football here is played with pads and is our national passion. Seeing as how we have two NFL teams associated to New York will this confuse people?

I like calling it football because that's what the game is but I recall reading in another thread some derision towards referring to things soccer related here by their European names. Was it a good idea to have 'Football' in our name?

What do you think?

Since our club's name includes the word football, what are we Americans supposed to call the game? I know it's not a big deal either way but I was curious what you guys think? We play in MLS, Major League Soccer. Most Americans know the game as soccer. Football here is played with pads and is our national passion. Seeing as how we have two NFL teams associated to New York will this confuse people?

I like calling it football because that's what the game is but I recall reading in another thread some derision towards referring to things soccer related here by their European names. Was it a good idea to have 'Football' in our name?

What do you think?

Look what I learned today !!!! I posted this on a different thread earlier
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/06/the-origin-of-the-word-soccer/

Reactions: einwindir
My view on this, as it is with kits and pitches and the like, is who gives a shit. As long as we know what the other guy is talking about, he can call it what he wants. Heck, I call it football half the time and soccer half the time.

Derby or Darby?
Makes me think:
kentucky-derby-preview.jpg

or
Edward_Darby.jpeg

The thing is, in the US we never refer to a rivalry match as a derby/darby, so the phrase is pretty unfamiliar here. I also feel weird saying "darby" unless I am saying the whole sentence in a faux British accent.

Do you have any word for local rivalry football match. I have no idea how where the word "Derby" originated its even older that me

The thing is, in the US we never refer to a rivalry match as a derby/darby, so the phrase is pretty unfamiliar here. I also feel weird saying "darby" unless I am saying the whole sentence in a faux British accent.

You know, you're not under obligation to pronounce it the same way as us ;)

Soccer was the term used by the Toffs (rich upper classes) in England
& football was the term used by the common man originally.
If one of my friends asked "what time is the soccer on?" he'd get
laughed out of the pub. Luckily the term football became the norm
well over a century ago.

Also "derby" isn't any rivalry, it's the term used for a local rivalry, really
it should be teams who share the same town or City. For example Utd fans
have taken the p*ss out of City fans over the last few decades by insisting Liverpool
are their big game & we don't matter, we'd come back with "yeah well you're
not our derby, as you don't even play in Manchester".

Call it whatever you want though people :)

It's kind of funny hew the term 'soccer' has gone full circle. Once use by elites in lieu of 'football'. Now if a lowly American hears the term 'football' he assumes you're either European or a pompous prick.

Personally, I don't care. I call it soccer because that's what we called it when I was a kid. I only get annoyed when a non-Spanish speaking person refers to soccer as futbol.

Reactions: Section1Guy
Call it whatever you want.
Myself, I'd rather stick to what most of the people on this planet call it which is football (obviously it's spelt differently in different languages)

From my knowledge it was the toff middle-class croquet playing types that would use the word soccer, and were I'm from in the industrialised areas of Greater Manchester it was/is known as Footi/Footy/Football/kickabout :)

As for this American Football sport... can you really imagine impoverished African kids playing this shit on the streets barefooted?

Or the kids of Brasil living on the streets homeless playing NFL?

Definitely not the sport of the people.

Football is the beautiful game, inclusive of all. :)