Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Saw this old photo of before Shea was demolished and Citi finished. (Arthur Ashe wasn’t expanded either). Kind of cool to see the two stadiums next to each other. Soon they’ll be another on the other side. View attachment 12483
Strange thought. If the designer chose to use the retro styling/colors of shea that would be pretty freaking cool and super nostalgic for most of the city (even non-soccer fans).

Agreed. Also needs the orange and blue panels though.
For the young'uns, Shea originally looked like this. I like the idea but the execution didn't age well, IMHO.

ETA: As many great memories as I have from the place (including having my HS yearbook photo taken there), Shea was kind of a dump. Let's not take too many cues from it, please.

Attachments

• old-panels2.jpeg
    old-panels2.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 25
For the young'uns, Shea originally looked like this. I like the idea but the execution didn't age well, IMHO.

ETA: As many great memories as I have from the place (including having my HS yearbook photo taken there), Shea was kind of a dump. Let's not take too many cues from it, please.
I was thinking the exterior with the blue and maybe neon soccer figures instead of baseball players. We’d want it modern (and shaped for soccer) on the inside. Just think how many people 40+ would get whiplash on the highway passing by like they saw a ghost. Also would be the ultimate troll job on the Yankees after not being great partners in sharing their stadium we rebuild a mini-shea over in queens!

Reactions: Joe_Cos and Kjbert
pleased anticipation GIF

The design needs to be consistent with the surrounding buildings and should not clash with its environment.

The stadium should not look like a flying saucer dropped into the cityscape.

We know what will lie to the west. That's Citi Field, with its industrial design and elegant red brick. The other three sides we don't know about, as they will be part of the new neighborhood being built at the same time. Early renderings also have those using a modernistic red brick style, but those are certainly preliminary.

What I am hoping for is something that fits seamlessly into the neighborhood around it. Someone walking through Willets Point should not feel a change when he walks along the apartment buildings, by the stadium and on down to other parts of the development. There is no reason for the stadium to break up the atmosphere. It should blend with the neighborhood and even offer some ground floor retail - things like restaurants & pubs that can serve us on gameday and the residents on other days.

The design needs to be consistent with the surrounding buildings and should not clash with its environment.

The stadium should not look like a flying saucer dropped into the cityscape.

We know what will lie to the west. That's Citi Field, with its industrial design and elegant red brick. The other three sides we don't know about, as they will be part of the new neighborhood being built at the same time. Early renderings also have those using a modernistic red brick style, but those are certainly preliminary.

What I am hoping for is something that fits seamlessly into the neighborhood around it. Someone walking through Willets Point should not feel a change when he walks along the apartment buildings, by the stadium and on down to other parts of the development. There is no reason for the stadium to break up the atmosphere. It should blend with the neighborhood and even offer some ground floor retail - things like restaurants & pubs that can serve us on gameday and the residents on other days.
Yeah the main difference in the design is that it looks like it uses Limestone in the modern design.

Reactions: Gotham Gator