Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think the biggest challenge to this site might still be the Mets. Yes they want a stadium there, yes they may need us to get their development done. But how comfortable are they giving in at the negotiation table if the Yankees are sitting on the other side? Wasn't one of the issues with the Queens site originally is that the Mets were trying to charge exorbitant prices for use of their parking lots?

And now the stadium is going to be adjacent to Citi Field, and not just down the street? Mets might want significant control over the venue, or cuts of revenue, or free use of the stadium to host non-baseball events, or similar demands. This could be a very sticky negotiation process.
I can see them impose similar conditions to what the Marlins are doing to Beckham and Co., which is a lengthy list of variables.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...-is-getting-a-really-really-bad-stadium-deal/

Last edited:
1. I'm realizing that NYC in the poll means Manhattan, lol
2. I don't like a Queens option because of its proximity to the Mets, we don't want their ghosts traveling over to our stadium. Moreover, the 7 train only runs local on weekends to Willets Point so it takes forever from Grand Central/Times Square. They would need an express train running on NYCFC game days. Driving from Westchester, New Jersey, etc. is a pain in the ass and may affect season ticket numbers of families living outside the city. (And no, we don't want them to root for the Red Bulls instead).
3. The benefit of Queens is space and maybe we can get more than a stadium, like a practice facility/academy or NYC2 stadium as well.
4. Still I want a SSS sooner rather than later, but I'm willing to wait for the best option considering all factors.

I'm not a Mets fan. And their stadium is ugly as shit (at least on the inside).

Last edited:
Reactions: The Toe
I don't think it will be as picky, but there will be some conditions we will scratch our heads at.

Most will be when games can be played, I am sure they are not going to want events while the Mets are playing (parking would be a big issue.) .

Fortunately for NYCFC the Mets are not in a strong position since the courts say the parking lot can only be used for stadium purposes.

Most will be when games can be played, I am sure they are not going to want events while the Mets are playing (parking would be a big issue.) .

Fortunately for NYCFC the Mets are not in a strong position since the courts say the parking lot can only be used for stadium purposes.
It also sounds like they have some kind of business relationship since they were considering NYCFC for the land before this.

A lot of people here are concerned about the transportation, which I get, but people are missing the big part of this: the court's ruling is that the land can be used ONLY as a stadium. Unless there's a reversal (which the DeBlasio refusal to join in the appeal suggests is unlikely), they either use that land for a new stadium or they lose out on ALL of their investment which is substantial.

So, what stadium are you going to build there? Mets, Yankees, Nets, NY Islanders, Giants, Jets, and Red Bulls all have new stadiums there. The Knicks and Rangers just re-did MSG and aren't moving. Who's left? New York City F.C. (I mean, I guess you could also say the Cosmos, but there's no way they beat out NYCFC or have the funds required to do this).

For the first time, NYCFC finds itself in a position of LEVERAGE. Unless DeBlasio and these developers are cool on missing out on affordable housing/lots of money/development etc. etc. they HAVE to deal with NYCFC. They have NO OTHER CHOICE. The City has invested $400 Million ALREADY. The local councilwoman is already trying to make a deal happen as the nasty work of dislocation has already been done so the hard political legwork has been largely pre-done (I'll pause here to note that this was probably a stupid idea for the City to start with, and forced displacement for stadiums/malls is a terrible thing. I don't want to condone this nonsense, but only to point out that the usual fight over buying residents out/eminent domain isn't as present as it would be anywhere else, which is no small thing as NYCFC found out with the elevator company near Yankee Stadium).

This is a win for everyone: DeBlasio gets to say he rescued a terrible deal of predecessor and turned it into affordable housing. The developers get to rescue one of their projects. NYC gets a stadium deal with the probably the best terms it will EVER get.
This is the most informative piece of news/speculation this thread has seen since page 47.*
Also I completely agree with your sentiments about eminent domain and forced relocation for private development. But what's done is done. As others noted down the thread, this would probably require some compromise regarding autonomy on the part of NYCFC/CFG, but it shouldn't be anything near as bad as the Marlins deal because both the city and the Wilpons need 2 things from CFG, $$$ and a stadium. And as you noted, CFG is pretty much the only party capable of providing the stadium. And unless the decision is overturned, the only other option is to convert the parking lot into a park, which is the goal of the folks who brought the suit but it doesn't seem that anybody else wants it, including DeBlasio.

* Don't go check page 47 because I'm totally making that up.

I still think that Bronx location is just too perfect to give up. Anything else will feel a bit like a let down.
The Bronx is preferable but given how difficult it is to get the land to build a stadium in NYC the Willets Point area would be a great for NYCFC stadium , there is public transportation and plenty of highways going into the area.

Its not perfect but its a very good option.

Reactions: Kjbert and whill4
from google maps it looks awesome, right on the water with bridges in the background? Convenient from everywhere except New Jersey. Coming from CT, that would be perfect for me. Can anyone with familarity to the location be able to say if we could get a cool view of some water/bridge action?

from google maps it looks awesome, right on the water with bridges in the background? Convenient from everywhere except New Jersey. Coming from CT, that would be perfect for me. Can anyone with familarity to the location be able to say if we could get a cool view of some water/bridge action?
There isnt much of a view, bur hypothetically its possible. CP

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
I think its more under the flight path than the new Shea, and will have views of Shea, Whitestone expressway, the Van Wyck. thats if its the Willets Point junkyards

Not much to see unless you get high up then you can get some shots of midtown at a distance.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
And as you noted, CFG is pretty much the only party capable of providing the stadium.

Wouldn't it be great if the Cosmos jumped into the fray? I'm actually a little horrified at the potential of that prospect. The Mets could bend them over backwards and the Cosmos might take it. I have no idea just how deep their pockets actually are, but they sure act like they could afford something like this.

Reactions: Kjbert
1. I'm realizing that NYC in the poll means Manhattan, lol
2. I don't like a Queens option because of its proximity to the Mets, we don't want their ghosts traveling over to our stadium. Moreover, the 7 train only runs local on weekends to Willets Point so it takes forever from Grand Central/Times Square. They would need an express train running on NYCFC game days. Driving from Westchester, New Jersey, etc. is a pain in the ass and may affect season ticket numbers of families living outside the city. (And no, we don't want them to root for the Red Bulls instead).
3. The benefit of Queens is space and maybe we can get more than a stadium, like a practice facility/academy or NYC2 stadium as well.
4. Still I want a SSS sooner rather than later, but I'm willing to wait for the best option considering all factors.

I'm not a Mets fan. And their stadium is ugly as shit (at least on the inside).
The LIRR and 7 trains run express on game days so transportation is not a realistic concern.

Driving from westchester it wouldn't be that big of a difference. Once you take the bridge your right there.

Wouldn't it be great if the Cosmos jumped into the fray? I'm actually a little horrified at the potential of that prospect. The Mets could bend them over backwards and the Cosmos might take it. I have no idea just how deep their pockets actually are, but they sure act like they could afford something like this.
Cosmos are likely moving to Coney Island.

Not to nit pick, but for over 50 years the METS-WILLETS POINT platform for the # 7 and other transportation options have handled crowds for the Mets and the Jets (back in the day). The 25-30K that would show up for NYCFC matches aren't going to be a problem.
Wow rational thought on this thread. Who woulda thunk it?

Reactions: Shotofjmoh
I think its more under the flight path than the new Shea, and will have views of Shea, Whitestone expressway, the Van Wyck. thats if its the Willets Point junkyards
I would say that could actually work in our favour. For decades Mets players have used the planes as an advantage. Playing there you get used to them.

Driving from White Plains to Yankee Stadium....
95 to the hutch to the bruckner to the deegan - on a good weeknight it takes me 90 minutes

to Citi Field... it takes me 45 minutes - on a bad weeknight.