Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Yeah, we're going to wait to take our penalty kicks until a plane flies overhead so the goalie won't be able to hear the kick of the ball.

It would be offside that would become difficult, as the refs depend on the sound of the kick to judge the moment of the pass for those purposes. Man, if only we'd have Villa at the point this thing actually gets built.

There really isn't a great view there to be had. Best view will probably be of Citi Field. I don't see how you could see anything in Midtown from there. Throgsneck and Whitestone maybe. Possibly LaGuardia.

But we could take up two blocks there for a Stadium - the land between 126th and 127th st and 34th-36th Avenue - and build a beautiful stadium and entrance. Across the street from Citi Field parking lot.

What non-New Yorkers need to realize is that the redevelopment zone is essentially a shanty town. It looks like something you would see in Johannesburg. If we took up let's say two blocks/parcels (would be more than enough room for a RedBull sized stadium) there's another 20 parcels of land to develop. We use existing parking infrastructure, CFG builds 5 parcels of residential and the Wilpons get to overdevelop 15 square blocks of commerical for a hotel, mall, etc.

I don't see, from a development perspective, where you could find a more perfect spot to build right now in New York. This is the only place in New York City that is zoned for this type of development. They could break ground tomorrow if they wanted to. The land is already purchased and zoned.

There really isn't a great view there to be had. Best view will probably be of Citi Field. I don't see how you could see anything in Midtown from there. Throgsneck and Whitestone maybe. Possibly LaGuardia.

But we could take up two blocks there for a Stadium - the land between 126th and 127th st and 34th-36th Avenue - and build a beautiful stadium and entrance. Across the street from Citi Field parking lot.

What non-New Yorkers need to realize is that the redevelopment zone is essentially a shanty town. It looks like something you would see in Johannesburg. If we took up let's say two blocks/parcels (would be more than enough room for a RedBull sized stadium) there's another 20 parcels of land to develop. We use existing parking infrastructure, CFG builds 5 parcels of residential and the Wilpons get to overdevelop 15 square blocks of commerical for a hotel, mall, etc.

I don't see, from a development perspective, where you could find a more perfect spot to build right now in New York. This is the only place in New York City that is zoned for this type of development. They could break ground tomorrow if they wanted to. The land is already purchased and zoned.

The city missed the deadline to file an appeal on that land yesterday, its not all as wrapped up as you think.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/articl...-stunning-about-face-on-willets-point-project

Cosmos are likely moving to Coney Island.

yes i noticed the brooklyn borough president very open to that idea, i think he was there when cosmos announced about having a game there and when nycfc first started he was one of the first guys saying hey build stadium in brooklyn. he really wants someone to pick brooklyn and its looking like cosmos could be it.

I don't want to jump the gun, but is anybody watching the Michael Kay show on YES? They just broke for a commercial and in his teaser he mentioned he had news about the Wilpons. Wonder if this is going to be related to a potential stadium deal?

Reactions: Kjbert
I don't want to jump the gun, but is anybody watching the Michael Kay show on YES? They just broke for a commercial and in his teaser he mentioned he had news about the Wilpons. Wonder if this is going to be related to a potential stadium deal?

We've been talking about this all day see below:

This is from the NY times today

Related and Sterling Equities were not opposed to accelerating the construction of affordable housing. The developers recently proposed allowing a professional soccer club — New York City F.C. — that has been looking for a permanent home to build a soccer stadium next to Citi Field in return for a housing fund.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/20/n...n-court-for-complex-near-citi-field.html?_r=0

Reactions: Gene
meh. Freakin' simulcast came back in the middle of the conversation. From what I gather the Wilponzi's have refinanced (or are trying to refinace) and the convo turned to what players they may spend for.

meh. Freakin' simulcast came back in the middle of the conversation. From what I gather the Wilponzi's have refinanced (or are trying to refinace) and the convo turned to what players they may spend for.
Yeah I turned it on when you posted that the NY Times reported Wilpon refinanced $700 million so they were talking about how broke he was.

I would say that could actually work in our favour. For decades Mets players have used the planes as an advantage. Playing there you get used to them.

Some advantage. Look how its worked out for the Mets. Only you could see 1 championship in 45 years as acceptable.

Reactions: Kjbert
If you're counting 4 trains to YS you're including Metro North, which means you would also include LIRR to Citi. So it's 4-2 not 4-1, and 50% not 75%. Still a drop, I get it.
But I would also count the the B and D as basically express and local versions of the same line, because that's how it works for a substantial majority of relevant riders.

Just some thoughts on this

It's also relatively easy to ride the A or C and then cross on a footbridge. When I'm not arriving relatively early I do this as a time saver over the D from Midtown. I've seen a fair number of other people doing this as well.
So another city option. Fair point about the LIRR as an option but you're talking at least twice the price of the MTA in each direction or dramatically more cost for people who already have a monthly on the MTA. I know it would be the opposite for LI fans getting to YS, but I'd speculate we're talking about a fraction of the number coming from within NYC. And of those some would have an MTA pass as well.

So, what stadium are you going to build there? Mets, Yankees, Nets, NY Islanders, Giants, Jets, and Red Bulls all have new stadiums there. The Knicks and Rangers just re-did MSG and aren't moving. Who's left? New York City F.C. (I mean, I guess you could also say the Cosmos, but there's no way they beat out NYCFC or have the funds required to do this).

Correcting one point, the Knicks and Rangers are definitely moving. The City wants MSG off of Penn Station and it should happen within the next decade. The proposed relocation I've heard are the blocks currently occupied by the USPS facility 28th-30th/8th and 9th. Now there's the perfect site for NYCFC to hijack

Correcting one point, the Knicks and Rangers are definitely moving. The City wants MSG off of Penn Station and it should happen within the next decade. The proposed relocation I've heard are the blocks currently occupied by the USPS facility 28th-30th/8th and 9th. Now there's the perfect site for NYCFC to hijack
no no, Penn is moving MSG is staying. Penn is moving to the USPS. The tracks go underneath anyway

It's worth reading the language in the NY Times article about the club more closely.

Related and Sterling Equities were not opposed to accelerating the construction of affordable housing. The developers recently proposed allowing a professional soccer club — New York City F.C. — that has been looking for a permanent home to build a soccer stadium next to Citi Field in return for a housing fund.

So the idea would be that we would pony up some money in order to build a stadium in the parking area next to Citi Field, and the Wilpons would use that money to subsidize the public housing aspect of the Willets Point project. The Wilpons seem to have preferred building a mall on the site in order to generate the funds, but that's what the judge would not allow due to state laws about parkland.

I agree that the Wilpons will want to control a lot of aspects of the stadium, but our club's owners are pretty sophisticated people, so I don't see them getting handcuffed by the kind of terms that apply in Miami.

If there is one thing that could upset the deal, it's whether the Yankees would object to a team they partly own being located there, but I think that's low probability.

Last edited:
As for MSG/Penn Station, there have been any number of proposals to fix a terrible cohabitation, but there is no consensus on any approach. The Dumbasses - sorry, the Dolans - have just spent millions renovating MSG.