Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
nahh. SI is mad far for EVERYONE not from the Shaolin. East queens doesnt really have the population densitity or the subway to support the stadium
This again? :)

A - Somehow the Mets and the US Open can happen at the same time and it's not a subway apocalypse. Wouldn't schedule a Mets game and an NYCFC match at the same time if they're sharing a parking lot but other than that it'll be fine. The Citi Field station has three tracks and super-wide platforms. For Mets games they have express trains queued up and waiting on the center platform. There's the LIRR there too, and by the time the stadium's ready (if it's there, that is) the LIRR connection to Grand Central may also be ready too, making a decent connection to Metro North on game day. (Don't hold me to the timing of them completing that though.)

B - Citi Field is central Queens, not eastern Queens. And while some areas of Queens may have a lower population density than the upper east side, say, it's still higher than most cities in the country. Even the lowest pop density areas are higher than anyplace in the Boston area, for example. Note also that Corona has the highest population density in the entire city.

Sources:
New York City, from 2010 census data
http://www.undertheraedar.com/2012/01/population-density-in-new-york-city.html

Boston, from 2000 census data (requires Flash)
http://old.socialexplorer.com/pub/maps/map3.aspx?g=0&mapi=2000 Census Tract&themei=1
(you'll have to zoom in on your own though as you can't save maps without an account)

Can't disagree with that, and that's a large factor. I think that's two different things though. Getting a few key good players to fill holes you have in the lineup, similar to what the Mets did this year, is sort of like weather. Average season ticket sales over a number of years is maybe like climate. Attendance will have ups and downs, but season ticket sales trends are more of what we're talking about here.
The mets average attendance is up 5000 a game thru the first 78 home games. Most of those games were before uribe, johnson and cespedes, were traded for. The bottom line usually is; if your team is competing your going to draw, if your team is winning, your going to draw really well. The amount season tickets sale will go up, I don't know, but they will go up, each year as long as a team wins and can be kept together. At some point, as the mets did when they moved into citi field; they will feel successful enough that they will stop thinking of the fans and price themselves to the point that people will drop their tickets and simply go to fewer games.

This again? :)

A - Somehow the Mets and the US Open can happen at the same time and it's not a subway apocalypse. Wouldn't schedule a Mets game and an NYCFC match at the same time if they're sharing a parking lot but other than that it'll be fine. The Citi Field station has three tracks and super-wide platforms. For Mets games they have express trains queued up and waiting on the center platform. There's the LIRR there too, and by the time the stadium's ready (if it's there, that is) the LIRR connection to Grand Central may also be ready too, making a decent connection to Metro North on game day. (Don't hold me to the timing of them completing that though.)
My only gripe is that its ONLY the 7 train and LIRR (yes yes metro north, grand central). But more train lines (subway) = higher attendance.

B - Citi Field is central Queens, not eastern Queens. And while some areas of Queens may have a lower population density than the upper east side, say, it's still higher than most cities in the country. Even the lowest pop density areas are higher than anyplace in the Boston area, for example. Note also that Corona has the highest population density in the entire city.

Sources:
New York City, from 2010 census data
http://www.undertheraedar.com/2012/01/population-density-in-new-york-city.html

Boston, from 2000 census data (requires Flash)
http://old.socialexplorer.com/pub/maps/map3.aspx?g=0&mapi=2000 Census Tract&themei=1
(you'll have to zoom in on your own though as you can't save maps without an account)

Remember that they will eventually have the Willets Point development done out there, which will add nearby housing and, presumably, bars and restaurants.
We could all move there! To the NYCFC Towers Apartment Complex! Rent includes two tickets, and the higher floors can see into the stadium. Where do I sign?

$15,000 in lobbying efforts is nothing. Why does Dave Martinez act like that's a big deal? If anything, the Cosmos should be embarassed that that is all they have spent.

$15,000 in lobbying efforts is nothing. Why does Dave Martinez act like that's a big deal? If anything, the Cosmos should be embarassed that that is all they have spent.
15k is pocket change
giphy.gif

who said awhile back they heard from their ticket rep that we should hear some news soon? worst comes to worst cfg can always purchase parking garage site and claim eminent domain on GAL if asking price is too high.

Reactions: Kjbert
So whats the deal with Staten Island ? It seems like it is nyc forgotten borough.

I took the Staten Island ferry about 10 years ago and quite enjoyed the ride over but didnt have enough time to depart and take a look around.

So whats the deal with Staten Island ? It seems like it is nyc forgotten borough.

I took the Staten Island ferry about 10 years ago and quite enjoyed the ride over but didnt have enough time to depart and take a look around.
Well, basically it's far away and you can't take the subway there. That makes it hard to get 30,000 people into and out of a stadium.

who said awhile back they heard from their ticket rep that we should hear some news soon? worst comes to worst cfg can always purchase parking garage site and claim eminent domain on GAL if asking price is too high.
Eminent domain is generally exercised when the purchase is by the goverment and the land is for public use. Not likely the case here

Eminent domain is generally exercised when the purchase is by the goverment and the land is for public use. Not likely the case here
The interpretation of eminent domain can be very flexible. Look at how Bruce Ratner used it for the Barclays Center. NYCFC should pull a play from his book and build a stadium over the Sunnyside Yards in Queens. There is enough land to team up with a developer to build apartments which is what DeBlasio wants.

Reactions: Goodfella

No room on the North Shore near the ferry area.

The only other viable area would be next to the Goethals Bridge. Years ago NASCAR was all set to put a huge track at the site, but I guess they didn't offer up enough bribe money to the local criminals who run the Island. The only problem being if they ever did put a stadium out there, they would have the same accessibility problems the Red Bulls face.

Actually the area is literally a stones throw from Harrisburg.

The interpretation of eminent domain can be very flexible. Look at how Bruce Ratner used it for the Barclays Center. NYCFC should pull a play from his book and build a stadium over the Sunnyside Yards in Queens. There is enough land to team up with a developer to build apartments which is what DeBlasio wants.
Understood on the interpretation, fair point. Was there government funding in the Barclay's deal? That's one piece I don't see happening under DeBlasio. But agreed if you could tie in affordable housing it would go along way towards swaying DeBlasio. CFG has been involved in housing in Manchester, as well, so not unprecedented for them.

I don't recall if there was City money involved (I don't think there was), but Big Bill certainly had his hand in the proceedings. He had some sort of quid pro quo deal with Ratner.

The only other viable area would be next to the Goethals Bridge. Years ago NASCAR was all set to put a huge track at the site, but I guess they didn't offer up enough bribe money to the local criminals who run the Island. The only problem being if they ever did put a stadium out there, they would have the same accessibility problems the Red Bulls face.

The Bloomfield site has recently been sold and a new logistics center is being built there. So not an option either (not that it was a good one either, as it makes the commute to Red Bull Arena look like a picnic.)

Reactions: Gene