Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
I agree. The process for something like this requires public comment, and usually its public comment from those most immediately affected (which is almost always negative from nearby residents), and organizations created specifically to address those concerns (using those residents for their standing in court).

What I'd really like to see is us getting involved in public comments for anything CFG proposes. They will need our support in getting anything passed. This thread can help alert us all to something like that and we can organize to offer that support when it is called for.
I wouldn't have any problem going before a committee during public comments time and having my two minute's say about how a stadium can benefit the city.

That Cosmos debacle is hilarious. Actual Transcript of the bidding process:
City: What's your plan?
Cosmos: We want to build a 25K stadium
City: But you avg. 86 fans per game
Cosmos: We are a global icon and Pele is coming back !
City: Who? Anyway, cash bribes only
Cosmos: Money ¿? No one told us we needed to have money

I wouldn't have any problem going before a committee during public comments time and having my two minute's say about how a stadium can benefit the city.
I'm curious to hear how a soccer specific stadium would help the City above and beyond the benefit the city currently gets from the team playing at Yankee Stadium.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I'm curious to hear how a soccer specific stadium would help the City above and beyond the benefit the city currently gets from the team playing at Yankee Stadium.
Lots of ways. Piles of jobs building it, piles of jobs for people who would work there, lots of tax income for the city they wouldn't get from all those tiny car repair places (Willets Point) or from empty garages (GAL site), etc. Plus there'd be a facility that's bigger than the Garden but smaller than the baseball stadiums for all sorts of other events besides NYCFC. The team could train there, which they couldn't do at Yankee Stadium for example, you could have college matches, World Cup matches or other international competitions, youth leagues, all sorts of things the Yankees would never allow. I think an NYCFC stadium would have a lot of benefits for the team and for the city if it can be made to happen.

39 million to renovate an existing stadium, what is the cost of our stadium supposed to be? We've been going back and forth about this for so long I've forgotten.
There are no meaningful figures. We have no location and no design. We don't even know how big it's supposed to be. You can't have a worthwhile estimate when those factors are up in the air.

saw an article about possible rejuvination of Flushing River going into the East River to include hotels, shops, possoible affordable housing etc. ALSO PASSES THROUGH CP (AYYEEE)

but really, a flushing river site is perfect

Lots of ways. Piles of jobs building it, piles of jobs for people who would work there, lots of tax income for the city they wouldn't get from all those tiny car repair places (Willets Point) or from empty garages (GAL site), etc. Plus there'd be a facility that's bigger than the Garden but smaller than the baseball stadiums for all sorts of other events besides NYCFC. The team could train there, which they couldn't do at Yankee Stadium for example, you could have college matches, World Cup matches or other international competitions, youth leagues, all sorts of things the Yankees would never allow. I think an NYCFC stadium would have a lot of benefits for the team and for the city if it can be made to happen.

Sorry to be negative, but I don't think your argument holds much weight.

Jobs created by the construction are fleeting and of marginal impact in the big picture.

Every hour worked at a new stadium after it's built is one less hour worked at Yankee Stadium, so no net impact there.

The revenue generated by the games is already being generated within the City at Yankee Stadium, so no net benefit from taxes there, plus most stadium deals give away the farm on taxes as incentives.

How does the team training at the stadium help the City at all?

What sort of events is the city missing out on that are too big for MSG/Barclays and too small for YS/Citi Field? I honestly don't know. Take a look at the other soccer specific stadiums -- very few events other than soccer. An occasional boxing match or festival, but there are plenty of venues for that in NYC.

The practical reality of building these stadiums is that they generally shift jobs and entertainment spending dollars around rather than create new ones at significant cost to taxpayers . DeBlasio is a boob, but he's 100% correct in not making a new stadium a priority and presumably being unwilling to give financial concessions to the richest family on the planet.

This thread has become embaressing.

Yeah fuck deBlasio for wanting more affordable housing in the city. Fuck deBlasio, it's not like New Yorkers are being pushed out of their homes and out of the city and destroying the fabric of the city. Fuck deBlasio for not giving away land to the richest people on the planet.

Sorry to be negative, but I don't think your argument holds much weight.

Jobs created by the construction are fleeting and of marginal impact in the big picture.

Every hour worked at a new stadium after it's built is one less hour worked at Yankee Stadium, so no net impact there.

The revenue generated by the games is already being generated within the City at Yankee Stadium, so no net benefit from taxes there, plus most stadium deals give away the farm on taxes as incentives.

How does the team training at the stadium help the City at all?

What sort of events is the city missing out on that are too big for MSG/Barclays and too small for YS/Citi Field? I honestly don't know. Take a look at the other soccer specific stadiums -- very few events other than soccer. An occasional boxing match or festival, but there are plenty of venues for that in NYC.

The practical reality of building these stadiums is that they generally shift jobs and entertainment spending dollars around rather than create new ones at significant cost to taxpayers . DeBlasio is a boob, but he's 100% correct in not making a new stadium a priority and presumably being unwilling to give financial concessions to the richest family on the planet.
I think you're missing what I'm saying here. I never said the city should pay for it. Yes, there will certainly be infrastructure costs like highway or street improvements maybe, but that doesn't mean they should necessarily pay for the stadium.

And there are benefits to not using Yankee Stadium. The biggest is exemplified by us not having a home game for the last month, right at the end of the season when in the future we might be fighting for playoff spots. Are we not allowed in the stadium every year, just in case the Yankees might be in their playoffs? I don't really find that acceptable. And I never said that not sharing the stadium benefitted the city, so I'm not sure where you got that from. Seems a bit disingenuous to me. Sharing the stadium does cut down on potential income though. With separate venues you could have both stadiums in use at the same time.

Speaking of other events, they're starting to have concerts at Citi Field for example, but a baseball stadium is a terrible place for that (for soccer too, but that's a separate discussion). A 35,000 seat venue available all summer long could bring many concerts that wouldn't ordinarily come to the city, or start new festival series, for that matter. It's not that Yankee Stadium isn't big enough for this sort of thing, it's just a terrible place for it. Baseball stadiums don't really have any good seats for a concert as no matter where you put the stage it's just no good. Yes, there are other venues for this sort of thing but nothing of this size that works as well.

The bottom line is that Yankee Stadium is an awful place for soccer, and a soccer-specific stadium would be a great place for soccer. And if CFG can help get the housing built in exchange for space to build a stadium everyone wins. Not quite sure I understand the objections to this, and it's also hard to believe anyone actually likes having the team play in Yankee Stadium.

I think you're missing what I'm saying here. I never said the city should pay for it. Yes, there will certainly be infrastructure costs like highway or street improvements maybe, but that doesn't mean they should necessarily pay for the stadium.

And there are benefits to not using Yankee Stadium. The biggest is exemplified by us not having a home game for the last month, right at the end of the season when in the future we might be fighting for playoff spots. Are we not allowed in the stadium every year, just in case the Yankees might be in their playoffs? I don't really find that acceptable. And I never said that not sharing the stadium benefitted the city, so I'm not sure where you got that from. Seems a bit disingenuous to me. Sharing the stadium does cut down on potential income though. With separate venues you could have both stadiums in use at the same time.

Speaking of other events, they're starting to have concerts at Citi Field for example, but a baseball stadium is a terrible place for that (for soccer too, but that's a separate discussion). A 35,000 seat venue available all summer long could bring many concerts that wouldn't ordinarily come to the city, or start new festival series, for that matter. It's not that Yankee Stadium isn't big enough for this sort of thing, it's just a terrible place for it. Baseball stadiums don't really have any good seats for a concert as no matter where you put the stage it's just no good. Yes, there are other venues for this sort of thing but nothing of this size that works as well.

The bottom line is that Yankee Stadium is an awful place for soccer, and a soccer-specific stadium would be a great place for soccer. And if CFG can help get the housing built in exchange for space to build a stadium everyone wins. Not quite sure I understand the objections to this, and it's also hard to believe anyone actually likes having the team play in Yankee Stadium.
There are two separate discussions going on here. No one disputes having a soccer stadium is best for the team. However the prior response was in regards to your assertion that the City itself would benefit greatly from a new stadium. This has nothing to do with the club, and is fully a discussion on the potential economic impact of a new stadium on the citizens and city of NY.

And in that vein, the effect of a stadium on the city is unknown. Ultimately new stadium construction is never the driver of an improved local citizenry like many state, but it can be a useful addition to certain neighborhoods. I tend to take a middle ground view on this topic. Like many things in life it is neither the economic milestone nor a lead weight on an economy. It will bring both positives and negatives. Speaking in absolutes rarely matches the reality.

If the land isn't used for anything worthwhile now...and if the city doesn't have to pay for it...and if people in the city will utilize the stadium...then why is anyone against the stadium?