Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
The property wasn't being sold in that deal, it would still have been city owned land. But the city needs to get that 50 million off its books.
well, the city's gain is the parking garage companies loss. If someone is willing to fork over and extra 50mm to payback their losses then its 50mm they could have earned through a legitimate sale.

To me quoting the back taxes price doesn't matter. The price X is all CFG wants to pay. Divvy it up however you want but they are not paying X+50mm. No one is. and X = fair market value of the property/land.

The back taxes and owed rent is just going to continue to grow because the parking garage company is bankrupt and won't be able to make payment. The city needs to eat a loss here.

Reactions: Kjbert
To me quoting the back taxes price doesn't matter. The price X is all CFG wants to pay.
That's fine and true as far as it goes, but the question I was originally responding to was exactly about how much was owed in back taxes and how much it would cost to buy out GAL.

That's fine and true as far as it goes, but the question I was originally responding to was exactly about how much was owed in back taxes and how much it would cost to buy out GAL.
50M is what I heard for the back taxes; never heard a number of the GAL buyout but part of the deal would be to relocate the business elsewhere in the Bronx which would be pretty costly

Reactions: Kjbert
no i get you were just answering a question. I quoted you, I suppose I should have quoted the questioner.

Reactions: joe
Not to derail, but of all the things to criticize about Moses (and there are certainly plenty) waterfront parks is kind of a weird thing to pick out. Jones Beach and Riverside Park are usually seen as being among his biggest successes, aren't they?
He was a bad, bad guy who designed everything with the goal of keeping people of color and people of poor mess away from those with means.

Moses would build that stadium, but he'd actually use the stadium as an excuse to tear up half the Bronx and upper Manhattan to build expressways so that people could get there.

Or, Moses would decide, for some idiosyncratic and personal reason, that he didn't like the idea of a stadium, in which case it would never be built, no matter how much sense it made, money was thrown at it or people demanded it.

Reactions: adam
Beautiful background views, but how would you even get there? It seems limited by the subway and nowhere near Metro North/LIRR, and even the highways are a bit away (Triborough Bridge is the closest but that's relative).

Agreed. It's like a mile from the N/Q and no LI-Westchester rail access. Make we get Etihad sponsored helicopter rides from our transportation hub of choice, that's more feasible then an underwater bubble stadium.

A pretty sweet location just became available today. I wonder if the club will inquire.

http://therealdeal.com/2016/02/18/durst-pulls-plug-on-hallets-point-project-after-421a-expiration/
Well *I'm* in favor of it as it's a ten minute walk to my apartment but there's really no other way to get there. Maybe a 20 minute walk from the N/Q/R train. I'm sure they'd build a ferry pier there but that only works for a few hundred, not for thousands. There's no real car access either as it's mostly a bunch of narrow residential streets. It could be made to work but it'll take a lot of work to pull it off.

Reactions: Rimil and CP_Scouse
Well *I'm* in favor of it as it's a ten minute walk to my apartment but there's really no other way to get there. Maybe a 20 minute walk from the N/Q/R train. I'm sure they'd build a ferry pier there but that only works for a few hundred, not for thousands. There's no real car access either as it's mostly a bunch of narrow residential streets. It could be made to work but it'll take a lot of work to pull it off.
I second this. I am also a few minute walk from there. Man I would be so stoked if that could happen.

Its not that bad of a walk from the N/Q/R. Its the metro north/lirr connection that it lacks. Also lacks a cooperative mayor, so never happening. :(

Also I read something about putting a turf soccer field on the track in astoria park, and the local community activist poo-pooed it, so really unlikey to get a stadium by them.

Last edited:
Uh, several years ago, yes. In 2008.
I'll be damned.... When I drive, I never take the Triborough, so I've never noticed. I bet the city had to pay a lot of money to change all of the signage....