Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Most the earth just under the surface of LIC swirls around siftting contaminated soil back and forth. So you can't just dig out the bad stuff before construction. I know that to build a residential building on contaminated soil you have to dig out the ground you want to build upon, install a concrete basin and then drop 'clean' soil into the basin. That way the base soil can't get re-contaminated from the bad stuff swirling around down below the surface. If this is their site, there may be a little more time and costs involved in construction then other stadiums in the past.
The first union construction worker doing that dig that lights up to smoke is going to set off a fire under the soil.....

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
It's possible, but not likely due to a very low FAR (Floor Area Ratio) of the site, which is only 2. This means that since the Lot is 654' x 329' = 215,166sf, then we can build 2x that total square footage on this parcel of land. Granted, additional parcels of land will be needed for a stadium's footprint, but the adjacent lots also have an FAR of 2. The building volume can be any combination so long as it maintains the required zoning setbacks and maximum height (I haven't looked these up), so if you make a large plaze on the south size then you can take that un-built square footage and go higher in other parts. The problem being that a garage takes a lot of space up since parking spots and access lanes have minimum widths so there's no cutting corners when packing a minimum number of cars. The other variable that I don't know how it applies is the actual field area - if this doesn't count as built space since it isn't enclosed, then that's a huge plus, but if it does count (building & zoning codes are sometime strange) then that too will eat away a big chunk of what we can do.

To address your skepticism of building over the rails...... we would be purchasing/leasing the air rights of those land plots, which essentially is taking the unused FAR from them (because hey, how much construction have they done with railroad tracks) and adding it to us while also building in the air above the tracks. This is a very standard practice for developers in NYC.
screw it, no parking. be the first 100% all transit access stadium. Progressives will love it.

They could have an option to buy (like with GAL) without having filed anything with the city.
They could, but no other transfer of land has happened to my knowledge. Wouldn't be surprised to see them launch bids soon.

Reactions: Kjbert
screw it, no parking. be the first 100% all transit access stadium. Progressives will love it.

If they are really going to create a destination place, there's going to have to be parking options. I don't see it here. One way or another, it will be by Yankee Stadium. Unless it's cheaper for them to develop this whole area and create some cash flow back into the system, this ain't it.

Sincerely,
Negative Nancy

Reactions: Gene
The lot is not big enough for a stadium for NYCFC, but what about a stadium for NYCFC II and/or NYCWFC (Ladies)? I think they can fit a 8-10K stadium on the land. Obviously for the investment in the land, it's not really worth building a stadium of that size for a USL team that won't generate any significant return on investment. Still, just putting the idea out there.

Why would we have separate stadiums for the different teams, I'm sure something could be worked out to have NYCFC, NYCFC II and NYCWFC (assuming those will be an actual thing in the future) all occupy the same stadium. I know The Portland Timber and the Thornes both occupy providence park and even T2 plays there are some points in the year. Seeing as it is hard enough to find a stadium for us, we should make the most of it and have it as the hub for all connected professional NYCFC teams.
Speaking of an NYCWFC team, is there a thread to have wild speculation on who we would want if we decided to expand into the women's game?

Barclays Center and MSG doesn't have dedicated parking lot. People driving has to find parking in the streets.

And the capacity is gonna be about the same.

MSG is not comparable to this site. Not even a little bit. Regardless the parking options are limitless.

Why would we have separate stadiums for the different teams, I'm sure something could be worked out to have NYCFC, NYCFC II and NYCWFC (assuming those will be an actual thing in the future) all occupy the same stadium. I know The Portland Timber and the Thornes both occupy providence park and even T2 plays there are some points in the year. Seeing as it is hard enough to find a stadium for us, we should make the most of it and have it as the hub for all connected professional NYCFC teams.
Speaking of an NYCWFC team, is there a thread to have wild speculation on who we would want if we decided to expand into the women's game?

By the time that NYCWFC happens, if it happens at all, the players we want are likely currently in high school/college.

Reactions: adam
I refuse to play MegaMillions when its 1 billion dollars for the same reason I don't want to read about any of these "deals" and that's because no matter how much of a long shot they are, my brain and heart tell me I am going to win or we will get a stadium and then I'm actually depressed when it doesn't happen.

Reactions: BxLio91
By the time that NYCWFC happens, if it happens at all, the players we want are likely currently in high school/college.

NYCWFC is definitely happening. One of CFG's core tenets is about providing much-needed investment into the women's game, although granted it is already better-funded in the US that the other places they currently run women's teams.

I can't see NYCFC/NYCFC II/NYCWFC all sharing a stadium, though. One of the principles of football is that a better pitch equals better football, and there is a limit to how much football grass can take before it starts to break down. In the UK, for example, most top clubs pay to have their pitch replaced every 1-2 years, and even though British teams play more games a season than US teams, they usually pretty much forbid lower-level/women's games from being played in the first team stadium except for the odd game here or there in order to preserve the pitch as much as possible.

I know that 3G turf can put up with repeated fixtures a bit better, but I can't see CFG wanting to have a turf stadium.

NYCWFC is definitely happening. One of CFG's core tenets is about providing much-needed investment into the women's game, although granted it is already better-funded in the US that the other places they currently run women's teams.

I can't see NYCFC/NYCFC II/NYCWFC all sharing a stadium, though. One of the principles of football is that a better pitch equals better football, and there is a limit to how much football grass can take before it starts to break down. In the UK, for example, most top clubs pay to have their pitch replaced every 1-2 years, and even though British teams play more games a season than US teams, they usually pretty much forbid lower-level/women's games from being played in the first team stadium except for the odd game here or there in order to preserve the pitch as much as possible.

I know that 3G turf can put up with repeated fixtures a bit better, but I can't see CFG wanting to have a turf stadium.

My uninformed guess had been that stadium announcement and announcement of a women's team would come together, and the only reason they don't already have one now is the lack of venue, but you may be right.

It seems to me it would make sense for them to have a girls academy team starting now, (though their youth affiliates do have girls teams, which is a start) but I admit to being pretty unfamiliar with how that works, whether it is even possible without already having a NWSL team, etc.

I would expect an NYCFC II to exist somewhere outside the city. Maybe in a nearby suburb; maybe farther away. I would be surprised if they didn't at least try to let the women's team play in the same stadium as the men.
I think ultimately NYCFC II will play at the mini-stadium that will be built at the future permanent training ground.... Wherever and whenever that takes place.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Hope this is true about the stadium as its the only thing NYCFC lacks at the moment and it will make a huge difference .
As for the area when they built the city academy it was a huge chemecal works which needed 2 years remedial work done on it also the were several buisneses around the area that CFG had to buy out all except one were willing to be moved to other better premises . t
The one that held out was a United fan and tried to sell 1 sq ft plots of land for £100 to try to keep city from building idont think he had anyone foolish enough to buy ant of these plots butManchester Council put a compusory purchace on the land and he was happy to sell it to city for a lot more then the council ere willing to pay.
So there is hope for a new stadiun for you lets hope its not too far into the future