Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
I am at Authur Ashe getting ready to see Nadal at the US Open and it would have been awesome to have a stadium over here :(

edit mixed drinks

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert and adam
big jerks. they have a 24k tennis specfic stadium that gets used three weeks a year
Sorry dude, it's just not gonna fit.
ArthurAsheStadium.png

How about the old site in Forest Hills? It's not a private club, but what the hell?

How about the old site in Forest Hills? It's not a private club, but what the hell?

Forest hills tennis center? Way too small. But it has such an English feel there with the architecture, it would be goddamn perfect if it could.

Edit: just look at this! Imagine incorporating that and other similar surroundings. We might have to rename the team NYC Forest, but it would be 'organic'.

image.jpeg

Forrest hills tennis center? Way too small. But it has such an English feel there with the architecture, it would be goddamn perfect if it could.

Let's reinvent the game by taking it back to the past like Vieira's WM formation. No seats, no stands. Just people huddled around the field to watch the game.

Forest hills tennis center? Way too small. But it has such an English feel there with the architecture, it would be goddamn perfect if it could.

Edit: just look at this! Imagine incorporating that and other similar surroundings. We might have to rename the team NYC Forest, but it would be 'organic'.

View attachment 5705
Training center

Reactions: Kjbert

View attachment 5705

The entire venue including the stadium that's now used for concerts is still too small?

The entire venue including the stadium that's now used for concerts is still too small?

If you go back around 300 pages,
I believe it was in the early discussions. But we need around 10 acres and the Forest Hills Tennis Center is somewhere around 4. Maybe Seth Seth wants to do his magic (could we cantalever above the LIRR tracks?), but I'm also thinking that has to be landmarked. PS besides the Tudor style architecture, I even love the street names surrounding it. And it has a subway station and LIRR station just a block away.

image.png

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
If you go back around 300 pages,
I believe it was in the early discussions. But we need around 10 acres and the Forest Hills Tennis Center is somewhere around 4. Maybe Seth Seth wants to do his magic (could we cantalever above the LIRR tracks?), but I'm also thinking that has to be landmarked. PS besides the Tudor style architecture, I even love the street names surrounding it. And it has a subway station and LIRR station just a block away.
I don't think folks realize how much space is needed for a stadium. Also, my diagrams are all just for the actual stadium footprint. Don't forget there needs to be room for sidewalks, parking, concessions, transportation, etc. We're going to need a pretty large space, especially if we want it done right.
ForestHillsStadium.png

And even beyond that, Forest Hills Gardens is a very upscale neighborhood. They tolerate the stadium and its current uses because it's been there forever - but if someone brought up converting it into a soccer stadium? The NIMBY fury that would rise up would be insane...
And it's not just that it's an upscale neighborhood, it's that it's a *private* neighborhood, almost like it's not quite part of the city. Everything south of the railroad tracks (yellow line), all those red tile rooftops, is private property. That includes where the stadium is.

Does anyone think the Red Bulls would ask to share our stadium with them when we finally get our own in New York City?

If you are going to talk about sites that are already occupied by something and that are not available to us (like Forest Hills Tennis Center), why not just bring back the stadium in the middle of Central Park?

If you are going to talk about sites that are already occupied by something and that are not available to us (like Forest Hills Tennis Center), why not just bring back the stadium in the middle of Central Park?
Speaking of Tennis Centers.... I was at the US Open yesterday, and just looking around at how much land that organization takes up for 2-3 weeks of competition a year is a travesty. No question it's a first rate facility, but it's absolutely massive with three medium-to-gigantic venues plus all of the other middling courts, practice courts, food courts, and whatever the gigantic fieldhouse-like structure is used for. And I get it, it's a piece of the grand slam tournament and brings a ton of $$ to the city each year for 2 weeks, but for them to veto/torpedo NYCFC building in the park is borderline criminal.

Speaking of Tennis Centers.... I was at the US Open yesterday, and just looking around at how much land that organization takes up for 2-3 weeks of competition a year is a travesty. No question it's a first rate facility, but it's absolutely massive with three medium-to-gigantic venues plus all of the other middling courts, practice courts, food courts, and whatever the gigantic fieldhouse-like structure is used for. And I get it, it's a piece of the grand slam tournament and brings a ton of $$ to the city each year for 2 weeks, but for them to veto/torpedo NYCFC building in the park is borderline criminal.

Not only that, but that Parks and USTA is so blasé about people parking all over the fields south of the LIE, and the closure of the Queens Museum for a security cordon - the effect is that large swaths of the park are off limits for the Open. It's hard to blame people for being concerned about MLS after USTA so effectively poisoned the well.

Reactions: adam
Imagine if NYCFC had all that land that USTA occupies in Flushing Meadows. A full 30-35K stadium. An academy building with practice fields. A parking structure. Great transportation.

I just came a little bit. A wet dream as one would say.

Little to young for this but I believe a big player in the USTA receiving that land was Mayor Dinkins and his love for the sport. Can't see DeBlasio doing the same for us.

The tennis center is also considered public and open to the public 11 months out of the year. They pay the city something like 2+ million a year depending on US Open attendence.

Does anyone think the Red Bulls would ask to share our stadium with them when we finally get our own in New York City?
Not a chance and here is why.

Per an HBO Sports done on Redbull the US Marketing Director said the following when asked why Redbull purchases sports teams, sponsors extreme sports, f1, etc builds stadiums etc?

He said that this type of marketing is more effective then regular mainstream marketing more traditionally marketing such as TV, print etc. And he said that its also more cost effective.

So Red Bull are only playing in RBA.

Not a chance and here is why.

Per an HBO Sports done on Redbull the US Marketing Director said the following when asked why Redbull purchases sports teams, sponsors extreme sports, f1, etc builds stadiums etc?

He said that this type of marketing is more effective then regular mainstream marketing more traditionally marketing such as TV, print etc. And he said that its also more cost effective.

So Red Bull are only playing in RBA.

Red Bulls no longer own their stadium- the city of Harrison does. Naming rights were being shopped even before the city took over.